Thread: Chapman for Ventura?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Chapman for Ventura?

Chapman owner in my points league just sent me this offer. 4 months of chapman should still be better than the rookie, despite all the recent hype, right? Chapman is in the last year of his contract for $1 and Ventura is in the first year of his for $3 ( he can be kept two more years). Ventura has upside but I am playing to win this year so I should make this deal right?
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Chapman for Ventura?

What does the rest of your pitching staff look like? Do you really need Chapman? Maybe its just me but if you don't really need a closer, then I would stick with Ventura.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    What does the rest of your pitching staff look like? Do you really need Chapman? Maybe its just me but if you don't really need a closer, then I would stick with Ventura.
    I am not very concerned with SP/RP Split in a points league, but we have 9 P slots and mine are currently as follows:

K Jansen $7
    A Reed $3
    M Garza $1
    A Cashner $1
    J Lackey $1
    Y Ventura $3

the remaining 3 will be filled at the draft

I also have Griffin $3, C Martinez $1, G Richards $1, Soria $2 in case anyone feels one of those options is better than my 6 planned keepers...

So I would say I dont really NEED Chapman as a closer...just looking to maximize my pitching points for this season. Without breaking down my scoring system I can tell you that closers do very well in that system (top 10 is half RP and half SP, top 25 is almost half RP etc)

Thanks in advance for any additional input. Its also a pretty deep league, 15 teams, so replacement level pitcher I would roster while Chapman is out would be Eovaldi, Doubront, Erik Johnson type guy

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ventura's all hype right now, so I like you're thinking. Perhaps you can add a little extra incentive for yourself by making it a 2-2 trade? Otherwise I'd accept the deal. Getting an arm off of the wire probably just as reliable as Ventura being able to stay a full year (whether health or demotion related)
    Twitter: @jasonang00

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Ventura, but i would take Chapman.
    Btw, i would add Eovaldi. He will be better then Garza, mark it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys. I am accepting the deal, but I am scared of chapman and any possible psychological impact...if I got hit in the head with a shot like that I wouldn't be right for a while I don't think

Dobber Sports Recruit

I would steer clear of Chapman this season, especially if he's costing a guy like Ventura. While unproven, you could argue that Chapman's recovery will be far longer than the 4-6 weeks originally slated given the psychology of the injury, as oyu said.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by mikesalerno44 View Post
    I would steer clear of Chapman this season, especially if he's costing a guy like Ventura. While unproven, you could argue that Chapman's recovery will be far longer than the 4-6 weeks originally slated given the psychology of the injury, as oyu said.
    Mike has it right I think...be wary of the mental recovery part...