Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: List your terrible decisions of the year

Dobber Sports Master

Default List your terrible decisions of the year

Seeing about 200 articles on Okposo and his ridiculous success this year prompted me to do this thread. List your "top" worst fantasy hockey decisions of the year.

Easy for me:

League 1, dynasty. Dropped Jagr (figuring it's his last year anyway and I won't get anything for him and how much gas can he have left after 22 playoff games and no goals?) and dropped Okposo (yeah...) and drafted Killorn instead of Tyler Johnson and Vatanen instead of H. Lindholm.

League 2, limited keeper. Also dropped Okposo, in favour of Saad though, so that mitigates it a bit... Allowed 2 FA pickups per season. Picked up Anisimov instead of T. Johnson.

oyoyoyoyoy.....

At least in league 1 I can live with it because I have depth and I'm in first.. In league 2 though, oh boy did that suck... The guy who picked up Okposo is in 1st. I am in 5th.

I hate this sport.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: List your terrible decisions of the year

Traded Fleury for Nash in the summer. I traded prospects and picks for Craig Anderson just before this so figured I could live without Fleury and I was hoping Vigneault would help Nash. Not only did this screw my goaltending but now I'm stuck with Nash's awful salary.

Traded Christian Ehrhoff for Ray Whitney. I wasn't expecting 75 points from the Wiz but didn't think the bottom would fall out like it has. Now I'm super thin at defense.

Made both deals last summer.... If Nash and Whitney have good years I win my league. They didn't, so I'm in 4th.

Oh and a good what if.... I'd been talking to a manager about Backstrom and Voynov and nothing was working. I traded Grigirenko and a 2nd for Moulson at the draft, and the next day he messages me "hey I like Grigorenko" maybe we can work with him." Ugh I about lost it.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Giant

I traded Blake Wheeler for Cam Ward in my deep dynasty league -- goalies are at a premium. Still regret it big-time.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

I selected Lars Eller over zuccarello and bonino in our waiver draft. Was able to flip Eller while he was hot for a first round draft pick. Would've preffered zuccs or bonino still tho
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Deity

In one of my leagues I probably held on to Halak longer then I should have, hoping for a big year for him being a contract year and all. I did end up dealing him at the deadline but didn't get anywhere near what I really hoped to get for him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Wolverine

Several early decisions during this year's Rocky Horror Roto Show draft:

Second round: Howard - good idea at the time to shore up goaltendting (Niemi first pick). Unfortunately didn't get the value I'd hoped.
    Third round: Letang - not my usual strategy to pick a D before my first forward. Ouch, this hurt. Hope he recovers from his stroke regardless of my team, though.
    Fourth round: Getzlaf - great pick until I decided to trade him for E. Staal early in the season. Oops.
    Fifth round: Green - been decent but more of a headache than it's worth.

At least other picks/moves have given me a shot at a top five finish.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have made several, but they have mostly been a direct result of these two:

1) Went into the season with Backstrom as one of my starters in two leagues.
    2) Tried to sneak Mason through to the farm via waivers just before the season started and lost him.

Almost every other move I have been unhappy with this year has involved paying too much for a tiny bandage to slap over the gaping holes in my goaltending.

Dobber Sports Star

Dropping Palat & Wheeler, trading a 6th for Landeskog a month after I dropped him waiting on Semin while he was a FA, only to miss out on grabbing him, trading Kunitz for Bishop(the jury is still out on this one). I'm sure there's more I can't remember. I made a ton of add drops that I wish I hadn't. I was way to active this season and didn't really need to be.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    I was way to active this season and didn't really need to be.
    That was my mistake early on as well. I will remember this and try to preach myself some patience.. but man is it ever hard in like November-Decemberish when everyone is still in the hunt, there's a tonne of games and it's so exciting!! Have to have better self control.. I almost need a co-manager to look at things that isn't involved in our league. Then again, that's pretty well everyone here on Dobber to me lol.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Dropped Hartnell and failed to pick him back up when I should have.

Administrator

A couple stand out for me... not terrible decisions but after the fact if I would have kept these guys my team would be in a better position for H2H playoffs...

-Traded away Joel Ward about a month ago for a LW to balance out my roster.
    -Dropped Matt Bartkowski last summer. Don't think many saw his emergence coming but he would be useful as an extra dman right now. At the moment if someone gets hurt Paul Postma is my dman call-up.

I know these are smaller details but it's a very competitive league and everything adds up.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

Traded Rask E Kane and RNH for Kessel Harding and Rinne.

Harding was just coming back, had 45 points, and I needed him to get 85 to make it worth my while. Kessel was a huge upgrade over RNH, and I then had an additional trading block in Rinne to improve my team. Harding never came back, and I had to trade him, Rinne and M Richards for Crawford and Pavelski, so it worked out, but not well enough to launch me into first, which was the original plan.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Expert

Drafting Nash as a 65+ pt player.
    Trading Simmonds and Spezza for Byfuglien and Datsyuk.

Administrator

Drafting Markstrom in the first round
    Hanging onto Lehner until March
    Cam Ward. Enough said....
    Thinking Ray Emery had a chance to be #1...

Yikes. It's a miracle I'm in 2nd place....
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thought the Sedins would not suck this bad.
    Had Del Zotto in 2 leagues but dumped him in both by the Olympics.
    Really thought Colin Wilson would emerge as Nashville's best fwd and put up 55+.