Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playoff complainfest.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Playoff complainfest.

In my keeper year 1 I placed 2nd overall and was knocked out in round 2 I have the playoffs, last year I finished 1st overall and got knocked out in the first round and now this year I finished 1st overall and am down by 40 points. For frig sakes, there is still 3 days left but that's quite a mountain to climb. I'm starting to call this thing the "Curse of First" and I'm FRIGGING ROTTED!
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Administrator

Default Re: Playoff complainfest.

Might be your team structure. If you aren't looking forward to try and get guys who will peak in the second half/down the stretch and have favourable schedules during your H2H playoffs then this is going to keep happening. Now maybe this is a bit of negligence on your part or maybe it really is just bad luck, I don't know. You are obviously doing something right if you are finishing near the tops each regular season. I know in my league half the prize money goes to the regular season top seed because really that's the greater feat.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Expert

We have a "curse of first" in our league too. Since our inaugural year in 2001-2002, the team who has finished first in the regular season has never won the title. Yet the 6th place team has won it 4 times...

I've also had great luck in this H2H league that I have finished 2nd and have lost in the finals for 4 consecutive seasons... With a couple of losses coming down to 1 assist, 5 saves or a +2 rating...

We have an ongoing joke that I can beat "Dobber Experts" and "Industry Experts", but I can't just seem to beat my close friends...

Let's hope this doesn't continue for a 5th consecutive season, as I finished 1st again in the regular season.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Absolutely brutal luck, I feel for you. One of the ways I guard against this (and I hate to give away the secret) is dropping low end roster players for back up goalies (of starters I already have). That way you are protected against teams resting their number 1 guy - at least saving the goalie categories.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Veteran

I won a H2H final one year by dropping MA Fluery on the last day of the season and picking up Sebastien Caron. Caron gave me enough saves to win the saves category by 3 saves. That tied the matchup 6-6-1. The tiebreaker went to me.

This year, a lot of playoff match-ups are going to be won by the guys who own Byzgalov or Tokarski.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

my goalies situation is a mess so i grabbed both colorado goalies....10 goals in 2 games....first time all season Colorado allows 5+ in 2 straight...
    benched vaneks hat trick
    pick up umberger cause columbus plays thurs fri sun hes a healthy scratch tonight....
    brown sick, stastny taking games off....

its been a rough week..

edit: own bryz lol his shutty is the reason i am up 1 cat

Dobber Sports Master

You would qualify for the bad beat bonus in Vegas... There should be a pot for your reg season winnings tho!

But that blows. No question.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sage

I lost in the first round of my most important pool this year. This is a 16 team, 30 man roster, Salary Cap league and I have Malkin, Ovie, RNH, Getzlaf, Spezza, Stepan, Rask, Bishop, Nyquist, Pacioretty, OEL, Suter ect, ect. This should not even be possible with that roster in a pool this deep. Malkin, Ovie and Getzlaf combined for 1 assist in my 5 game series and player a total of 13 games between them. Just disgusting
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I have no idea how you guys enjoy head to head when that happens. You build a keeper, massage it all year, gain the top seeds because the season is long and that reflects on the better teams.....then it's over in a week because of crap luck.
    Just my opinion, but roto leagues produce the correct winners, not head to head.

I am am not a fan of head to head.....
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
    I have no idea how you guys enjoy head to head when that happens. You build a keeper, massage it all year, gain the top seeds because the season is long and that reflects on the better teams.....then it's over in a week because of crap luck.
    Just my opinion, but roto leagues produce the correct winners, not head to head.

I am am not a fan of head to head.....
    I see what your saying, but it would be like ending the NHL after the regular season. Playoffs are where it's at, and the best managers build their teams with them in mind.

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is why we introduced prizes for regular season as well as playoffs in my keeper......H2H is brutal, and once the playoffs start, anything can happen. We pay out 35% for regular season and 65% for playoffs, and this avoids a team dominating all season, only to go home empty handed. Also allows for the potential for more teams to get a piece of the pie....I love it, and would never go back to only paying out for playoffs in H2H.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    This is why we introduced prizes for regular season as well as playoffs in my keeper......H2H is brutal, and once the playoffs start, anything can happen. We pay out 35% for regular season and 65% for playoffs, and this avoids a team dominating all season, only to go home empty handed. Also allows for the potential for more teams to get a piece of the pie....I love it, and would never go back to only paying out for playoffs in H2H.
    We do the same thing in our pool and also like it but I don't play in hockey pools for the money I want the bragging rights arrrrrrrrrrr
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Expert

There is 300 bucks for first place finish which I won, but we have a 600 dollar pot for playoffs and our name engraved on the league cup! I WANT IT!
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Smokie View Post
    our name engraved on the league cup! I WANT IT!
    Money can never buy this. I would be pissed too. That is all I want in my league too. It could be free and I wouldn't care. It's about the hardware, for sure.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Smokie View Post
    There is 300 bucks for first place finish which I won, but we have a 600 dollar pot for playoffs and our name engraved on the league cup! I WANT IT!
    Pretty much the same for me. The regular season money is nice, but nothing beats having your team name on the cup!