Thread: NFL Mock Draft 1.0

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default NFL Mock Draft 1.0

Dave, Steve, and I got together and ran through our first ever NFL mock draft. Check it out and let us know where you guys think we hit and where we may have missed.

1.01 Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Steve: The 2013 Texans were a lot like the 2012 Chiefs. On paper they were, and still are, much better than a 2-14 club. They need a QB to quickly right the ship, much like the Chiefs did. There's no one close to Alex Smith's caliber available in free agency so unless Houston swings a trade before the draft they go QB in round one. Bridgewater is generally seen as the most pro-ready QB in the draft class, as the Texans GM that's what I'm looking for.

Dave: I'm anxious to see how Houston picks here - talk about steering the draft... their best move is to trade this pick, but...

Matt: I would take Clowney or Bridgewater and not think twice. Imagine Clowney getting mentored by JJ Watt. In a division where you gotta face Andrew Luck for the next 10 years, I’d bookend Watt with Clowney get that pass rush locked down if you are not 100% sold on any of the quarterbacks.

follow the link for the rest...

NFL Mock 1.0

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: NFL Mock Draft 1.0

Great work guys! As a Dolphins fan I agree with you. I think they either trade up to get a Corner or a OL. If those options are not available they should trade down as they have no need for a DL
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Deity

Some interesting picks. I have no doubt that Houston is taking a QB at #1, I just have no idea who they take. Depending on who you read, some say Bridgewater, some say Bortles.

As a Niners fan, I would love to see Cooks still there for them but I am skeptical he will make it that far. Hard to say.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

1 other thing I don't see Manzel dropping that far. I think a team grabs him inside the top 20 for sure. If I was in need of a QB I would. There is no other personal attribute that is more important to a QB than confidence and this kids exhumes it. I think he might surprise some people and turn into a really nice starter in this league. He is not Tebow
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    1 other thing I don't see Manzel dropping that far. I think a team grabs him inside the top 20 for sure. If I was in need of a QB I would. There is no other personal attribute that is more important to a QB than confidence and this kids exhumes it. I think he might surprise some people and turn into a really nice starter in this league. He is not Tebow
    If any of the 3 QBs (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel) make it past the Vikings at 8 I think they fall like a rock similar to Aaron Rodgers in 2005. What teams between 8 and 26 would spend their first rounder on a QB? The Titans at 11 are a possibility I guess? Maybe Arizona at 20 if they want to move on from Palmer in 2015?

In a draft so good I just don't see a team in the top 20 that doesn't have immediate need at QB using a pick on one.

I like the Evans pick for Buffalo. If they go RT I will throw my head into a vice and apply appropriate pressure.

As for the QBs (fantasy - long term), I like Bortles out of all of 'em, then Bridgewater. I see Manziel as NFL bust due to his perpetual propensity to unnecessarily flee the pocket. Should make him fantasy relevant for one or two seasons, but not a good habit to ensure longevity as an NFL starter.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Price View Post
    Dave, Steve, and I got together and ran through our first ever NFL mock draft. Check it out and let us know where you guys think we hit and where we may have missed.

1.01 Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Steve: The 2013 Texans were a lot like the 2012 Chiefs. On paper they were, and still are, much better than a 2-14 club. They need a QB to quickly right the ship, much like the Chiefs did. There's no one close to Alex Smith's caliber available in free agency so unless Houston swings a trade before the draft they go QB in round one. Bridgewater is generally seen as the most pro-ready QB in the draft class, as the Texans GM that's what I'm looking for.

Dave: I'm anxious to see how Houston picks here - talk about steering the draft... their best move is to trade this pick, but...

Matt: I would take Clowney or Bridgewater and not think twice. Imagine Clowney getting mentored by JJ Watt. In a division where you gotta face Andrew Luck for the next 10 years, I’d bookend Watt with Clowney get that pass rush locked down if you are not 100% sold on any of the quarterbacks.

follow the link for the rest...

NFL Mock 1.0

Great job guys. I don't think Houston will pass on Clowney at 1 and take their QB in the 2nd round. If they do take a QB, I think it will be Bortles. By the time the draft rolls around, someone may be trading up to the 2 spot to grab him.

Thanks for the feedback guys! there will be at least one more of these and perhaps 2 more before the NFL draft in May. I too think that Houston takes Clowney. You don't want too be the guy that passes on the next Lawrence Taylor / Reggie White type defender for a QB with question marks. That said I do like Bridgewater quite a bit despite his mediocre pro day. You have to remember that guys like Blaine Gabbert and Jamarcus Russell had fantastic pro days. How did that work out?

To me Bridgewater is the best QB in the draft and I will continue to bang that drum. His play style compares favorably to Matt Ryan and I believe whatever team ends up with him will be happier than some think right now.