Thread: Nik Ehlers

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Nik Ehlers

It seems that every draft, a kid comes swooping out of nowhere (well, rarely nowhere, but they climbs many lists down the stretch and on into the summer after not really being in the discussion earlier in the season). Zibanejad and Skinner come to mind as recent examples. I'm talking fantasy even more than real NHL draft, but sometimes it goes both ways.

Nikolaj Ehlers seems to potentially fit this mold, but I'll admit that so far I don't know all that much about him. Undersized, a good U-20 for Denmark, plays in Halifax, nominated for OHL rookie of the year.

Can someone fill us in on this kid? I've suddenly seen him as high as #3 on some draft profile lists - ISS most recently has him at 14, back in December he was 25th and last October he was outside the top 30.

Share the wealth, it's early enough and there will be plenty more threads to come if he keeps it up.

Thanks!
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Nik Ehlers

First off, he plays in the Q so it would be hard for him to be nominated for any awards in the OHL.

He is nominated for three QMJHL awards: Rookie of the year, top pro prospect and offensive rookie of the year.

As far as his skill set goes, he reminds me a lot of Drouin. Extremely fast (faster then Drouin) and a solid playmaker. Good hands as well (he came up 1 goal short of 50 for the year). He needs to bulk up a bit as hes a bit on the small side but that can be worked on with proper diet and training. He's like a mini-Drouin with just a little less skill, but more speed. Its close though.

He has quickly risen up most draft charts (kind of like Drouin did last year) and will be a top 10 pick in the NHL draft this year. As far as how high he climbs, I think if the Moose go deep into the playoffs again this year (and they should) the play of Ehlers will do a lot to either help or hurt his draft day stock.

From a personal stand point, for fantasy hockey drafts, he's in my top 10 and probably close to a top 5 fantasy pick for me. He's the one I am keeping an eye on for this draft more so then some of the "bigger named" guys.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Great insight Axeman. I have been reading about this kid for a while but it is awesome to get some first hand insight on him from someone who get's to see him play. How is his defensive game from you standpoint? Will he have one in the NHL game or is he strictly a one-way player? I will note that I already had him top 15 when I posted my ranking for this years draft on this site before the season started ...
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Great insight Axeman. I have been reading about this kid for a while but it is awesome to get some first hand insight on him from someone who get's to see him play. How is his defensive game from you standpoint? Will he have one in the NHL game or is he strictly a one-way player? I will note that I already had him top 15 when I posted my ranking for this years draft on this site before the season started ...
    Like most offensively minded players, his D game needs to be refined. That will come with coaching. His D game hasn't really been questioned as much seeing as they normally have the puck going in the offensive direction more-so then the D zone. He and Drouin control the puck that well.

Here's a good writeup about his offensive game in the local paper here in Halifax.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/moosehe...s-super-sniper

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Yeah, the Q and not the O, sorry, just a brain fart.

The next question that comes to mind is how much of a link there is between Drouin's return to play, his 79 assists, and Ehlers' numbers. Last year we got to see Drouin without MacKinnon a while to get that concern out of our heads, but it could be suggested that this year, Ehler's climbing of the ranks coincides with Drouin's return and astounding numbers. Not saying that this is so, but it ought to be asked, at least.
    20-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Deity

Just reading that he won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. Not sure about the other ones yet.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have a top 4 pick in this draft.... Bennett is my first choice, but if he's gone I'm really starting to think about taking Ehlers over Reinhart or Dal Colle. Kid is just unreal offensively.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Padawan

Really wish ehlers and scherbak hadn't moved up all the lists, thought I could get them for a song come draft time just a clue months ago. Now their names are being bandied about a bit more.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    Really wish ehlers and scherbak hadn't moved up all the lists, thought I could get them for a song come draft time just a clue months ago. Now their names are being bandied about a bit more.
    I hear ya there. I have been watching Ehlers all year and was hoping to snag him mid 1st round.

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, I was hoping to snag him around 12th overall or so, but I'm thinking that might be a bit more difficult now.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Like most offensively minded players, his D game needs to be refined. That will come with coaching. His D game hasn't really been questioned as much seeing as they normally have the puck going in the offensive direction more-so then the D zone. He and Drouin control the puck that well.

Here's a good writeup about his offensive game in the local paper here in Halifax.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/moosehe...s-super-sniper
    I would imagine top-end speed will help him a great deal defensively too. It's easier to get away with a bad play when you can get back and catch whoever happens to take advantage of it.