Thread: Former pro's you have watched play Senior Hockey

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Former pro's you have watched play Senior Hockey

Mike Wall. He played for Anaheim for 4 games. Just watched him play in the Coy Cup, he played as a defenceman. Looked ok but he dominated the senior league as a goalie for a few years.

There was a few others but Mike Wall is probably the only NHL'er Ive seen play

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Former pro's you have watched play Senior Hockey

ive seen mike wall quite a bit in the central interior hockey league. also ive played shinny with jeff sharples, wade flaherty and rod pelly. they all came from my home town or neighboring towns.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I've seen Johnny Boychuk, Kevin Nastiuk, and Georges Laraque play in an Edmonton summer league a few years back. I used to chat with Johnny frequently. I'm a huge Bruins fan and the day he got traded to Boston I was being a total fan-boy about it. Haha. He was excited about the move and he said he hopes he gets a chance to play. I said, "Maybe one day you'll get to line up with Z!". He laughed at me...

I was a supervisor for the league so I would check in with the teams before their games and see if they needed anything. One thing that always made me laugh, but I didn't realize the magnitude of, was when all the players and goalies on the opposing team to Johnny's would always ask me to tell him not to take any slappers. If you've ever caught a Bruins game, there's a reason why Jack Edwards calls it a 'Johnny Rocket'.

Kevin Nastiuk once puked on the ice. He ate seafood before his game. It was disgusting. The entire arena smelled like rotten seafood. 'Nasti' indeed...

Georges had to eventually leave the league because everyone thought they could take him and he would get challenged pretty much every game. I had to toss him once because he took a slapper at a player that was chirping him. That was scary!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    ive seen mike wall quite a bit in the central interior hockey league. also ive played shinny with jeff sharples, wade flaherty and rod pelly. they all came from my home town or neighboring towns.
    I was drinking in the beer garden near the Smithers team as they watched their last game before heading back. Mike Wall was sitting in front of me. His buddies were calling him Wallsy. They all seemed like nice guys. They were cheering for the Williams Lake team as they faced Terrace lol. Everytime the Williams Lake team scored they would be high fiving the fans

Former WHL'er Kirk Meaver was playing for Smithers but got knocked out by a shin or a knee to the head I believe. Ryan Carter was in the tournament too (not the same one drafted from Anaheim)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

About 7-8 years ago, the Atlanta Thrashers were still in town.
    They used to practice in Duluth, Georgia at a place called the "Ice Forum".

The men's league there in the summer allowed for "substitutes" and occasionally, some of the Thrashers used to drop into the AAA leagues for a skate.

One time I skated against Bob Hartley (then ATL coach), who was just average - but he was a former goalie... and he was playing forward.
    I actually whacked him in the shin pads once when he skated around me... and he could tell I was nervous... he just stared at me. A "not worth my time" stare.

Thrasher "goon", Chris Thorburn dropped in for some practice and scrimmage skates sometimes.
    Although he has NEVER even scored 20pts in an NHL season, he would have outscored the next league leader by double if he had played a whole season.
    Just amazing how much better the NHL's "worst" players are when compared with the best that us "Beer Leaguers" have to offer!!!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Just amazing how much better the NHL's "worst" players are when compared with the best that us "Beer Leaguers" have to offer!!!
    No kidding. Even Casey Pierro-Zabotel who is an ECHL player he dominated, i repeat dominated the best senior players from my area. He is slow but his puck handeling, shot, hockey IQ is so far higher than the guys he was playing. Even an old Gino Odjick looked pretty good against Senior hockey players

Dobber Sports Wizard

Derek Gustafsson played I think 4 games for the Wild in probably the early 2000's, came about a minute away from getting a shutout in his first game. He used to play goalie in the beer league here but skates forward now. Also I played with Jason Reese from squirts to midget, he played in the WHL led the Tri City Americans in scoring his last couple years, he played some lower level pro and a year in Germany. He skates circles around everyone in the beer league.

The guy that had me come out for my first beer league team used to play defense for the Czech national team in the 70's or 80's.

I think there's a few other former WHL'ers and a couple college guys, but no other NHL guys.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

I've actually played Senior hockey with Denis Chasse as well as Dean Dachyshyn in Halifax. There was a lot of minor pro guys in the Senior League I used to play in a few years ago. I cant remember all of them off the top of my head but those two were a couple that I played with.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Played hockey against Malcolm "Mac" Davis who played a dozen games with the Red Wings in the late 70's and then played close to a hundred games with the Sabres in the early 80's before finishing his career in Finland. When I played against him he was in his early fifties and could still out skate, outshoot and outplay most of the guys on the ice. My shining moment happened during a game where I actually stole the puck from him...once. More often than not, I couldn't touch him.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Shawn Antoski former Canuck, Flyer, Penguin and Duck suffered a skull fracture in a car cash that ended his career, now has a steel plate in his head and last I check still plays for a beer lg in Madoc, Ontario... with very little effort he would be the lgs leading scorer by 3 or 4 times his nearest competitor (usually a teammate)...

Career 12 points in 219 games yet still more skilled than anyone else in the area...

I've also played hockey with the son of Greg Terrion retired NHLer from the early 80s... I've seen Greg move on the ice, extremely smooth skater when he takes strides... but rarely has to...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Legend

I saw Brian Propp play in a pick-up game with some of my buddies a few years ago. He was slower but still had incredible hockey sense and passed the puck amazing. And he's the nicest man you'll ever meet in your life.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka