Thread: John Gaudreau

Dobber Sports Monster

Default John Gaudreau

37 games: 32+37=69

I've just seen highlights on this guy and he looks amazing out there. AHL for him next season? What are your expectations on him?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: John Gaudreau

Personally I'd like to see him take a full season or two in the AHL since smaller players take longer to develop..

He had a 31 game point streak, tying Paul Kariya's record. 61 of those 69 points were during the streak
    Senior Writer @DobberProspects - Ducks/Jets
    Composer/Musician @Resonaga
    --
    HTN 14-Team Roto Keeper (Cap+20M):
    FS Storm: 24-man, (G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STPGWG, Hit, Blk, Tk/Gv, ShG, W, GAA, SV, SO) 8F/4D/1U/1G, 23 farm
    F: Stamkos, E.Kane, P. Kane, Oshie, Okposo, Vanek, Cammalleri, Ladd, Nielsen, Smith-Pelly
    D: Hedman, Trouba, Josi, R. Murray, J. Schultz, Stone
    G: Price, Lehtonen, Fasth
    --
    Twitter:@flamestalker
    www.kevinwonmusic.com

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Listening to the guys on XM Radio, they were just discussing this today. He is pretty small and weighs somewhere in the 160lb range. They made a good point on the need for small guys to really develop their upper body strength. With that in mind, he might be a year or 2 away, unless Calgary rolls the dice. It is in their best interest to give him time to bulk up. I would not expect to see him in the lineup right away next season.
    12 Team Keeper, Cap 69.0mil, 12f,6d,2g 8Farm - use Cap Hit
    Scoring G/A/PPG/PPA/SHG/SHA/Hits/GWG/OTG/Shots/-PIM
    F-Giroux/N.Backstrom/Voracek/Getzlaf/Granlund/Soderberg/Toffoli/Hertl/Bennett/Shaw/Zibanejad/Etem
    D-Pietrangelo/Keith/Kronwall/HLindholm/Donovan/Hamilton/CMurphy
    Farm - Dumba/Maatta/Strome/Huberdeau/Teravainen/Kapanen/Honka/Koekkoek
    G-Price/Bernier

14 Team Keeper, Cap 64.3mil,Pts only, 9f,4d,2g
    F-Malkin/Benn/Backstrom/Voracek/Nichushkin/Teravainen/Kucherov/Stastny/Foligno/Coyle/Forsberg/
    D-Hedman/Reilly/Goligoski/B.Smith/Murphy/Ellis
    G-Rinne/Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Genius

Dont expect to see him in a Calgary Flame uniform. He still isnt signed and I believe he will go the same route as Justin Schultz and become a FA.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a look for a few games near the end of this season, then plays in Abbotsford next year. He's small, but he's also far ahead production-wise of most small college stars (Gerbe being a recent example).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Dont expect to see him in a Calgary Flame uniform. He still isnt signed and I believe he will go the same route as Justin Schultz and become a FA.
    Thats not gonna happen. no chance.

you can't sign a contract if you are in college

justin Schultz was an anomaly. Geadreau is committed to the the flames and that's the team where he would have the most opportunity anyway.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't have any information but I wonder if that collage loophole has been closed in the new CBA. They closed a bunch of things and after the Schultz thing I would be surprised if they didn't eliminate it from happening again.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think he'll get a cup of coffee for sure, but it'll be abbotsford for most of next season, he does need to bulk up
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Pro

Considering he's not close to being NHL-ready, I'm expecting Gaudreau to return for his senior season. There he'll get more time to add strength and get his degree which is important for someone who isn't necessarily guaranteed to have a long NHL career. Stranger things have happened than if he chose not to sign in Calgary(who would blame him?) and he went the Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz and Corban Knight route and became a free agent. No need to harp on that right now either way. Intriguing prospect for sure but one that still has a while before it's ready to become fantasy relevant.

Dobber Sports Giant

Just some perspective here ... In the 2007-08 season for Boston College, forward Nathan Gerbe scored 35 goals and 33 assists in 43 games. Granted, NG has had a damn great season by his standards, and a pretty good season by any; however, he's not exactly a world-beater. His last NCAA year numbers are pretty comparable to Gaudreau's. Just temper your expectations at this point, otherwise there could be either 1) a really long wait or 2) disappointment (or both). Now, I don't think Gaudreau is going to encounter nearly the roadblocks that Gerbe has encountered in trying to establish an NHL career, but it's not going to be easy. Gaudreau is incredibly skilled, but he will be in tough to add bulk and adjust to the professional game.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Considering he's not close to being NHL-ready, I'm expecting Gaudreau to return for his senior season. There he'll get more time to add strength and get his degree which is important for someone who isn't necessarily guaranteed to have a long NHL career. Stranger things have happened than if he chose not to sign in Calgary(who would blame him?) and he went the Blake Wheeler, Justin Schultz and Corban Knight route and became a free agent. No need to harp on that right now either way. Intriguing prospect for sure but one that still has a while before it's ready to become fantasy relevant.
    Thought this was his senior year for some reason, with that in mind, I completely agree with your comment
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    I would be absolutely astounded if Gaudreau returned for his senior season unless (a) the loop-hole still exists; and (b) he needs to return for his senior year in order to exploit that loop-hole. He has nothing left to prove at the college level. He needs to move on to the AHL and bulk up. As mentioned, he will need time.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Just some perspective here ... In the 2007-08 season for Boston College, forward Nathan Gerbe scored 35 goals and 33 assists in 43 games. Granted, NG has had a damn great season by his standards, and a pretty good season by any; however, he's not exactly a world-beater. His last NCAA year numbers are pretty comparable to Gaudreau's. Just temper your expectations at this point, otherwise there could be either 1) a really long wait or 2) disappointment (or both). Now, I don't think Gaudreau is going to encounter nearly the roadblocks that Gerbe has encountered in trying to establish an NHL career, but it's not going to be easy. Gaudreau is incredibly skilled, but he will be in tough to add bulk and adjust to the professional game.
    FWIW - Gaudreau is quite a bit ahead of Gerbe at comparables ages: http://flamesnation.ca/2014/2/19/gau...-a-second-look

Dobber Sports Pro

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed or stayed another year...but if it's the former, it'll be a mistake IMO. Also nobody talks about him but Kevin Hayes finally put it altogether this season and has been a dominant force all season long...has really created a ton of space for Gaudreau out there. People talk about Gaudreau but those I spoke with who follow the team closely say Hayes is the one destined for a nice NHL career, Gaudreau is a question mark, despite his impressive stats.

Banned

Pretty sure he already committed to the flames, or at least it was reported.

He has nothing left to learn in college.