Thread: Did I make a big mistake?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Did I make a big mistake?

Recently, I traded Giroux, Nishushkin and Anderson for Bobrovsky, Eric Staal and O'Reilly.

My impetus for the trade was acquiring some much needed goaltending help (my league has a big focus on goaltending and my only "reliable" goaltender was Fleury). So far, it's paid off well. The other GM wanted one of my keeper forwards, and so we finally decided on Giroux.

I was hesitant at first, but I gave in and let him have him. My other options would have been giving up Perry or Patrick Kane. Did I make the right choice in giving up Giroux over those two?

In Perry's case, he's a goal scoring machine and gets good stats across the board. Patrick Kane plays on a powerhouse team. Giroux, I wasn't totally sold on but I knew he would get points and PPP as well.

As for Nishushkin, well, it was a necessity to get the trade done. That being said, I just picked up Kuznetsov so I'm feeling like it's evened out.

Thoughts?
    16 Teams - Full Dynasty Keeper - H2H - 23 Players - 5 Farm Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Did I make a big mistake?

You traded away high end talent and upgraded only at goal (keeper value). Nichushkin might even equal ROR's production next year. I feel you paid over sticker price for Staal when his value is at its lowest in recent memory. If I got Giroux, Nichushkin, & Anderson then I'd be one happy GM.

Don't feel bad, I traded Sharp/Okposo for Voracek/Shultz/Moulson and now Im out of contention in my league. The Kuzy factor makes the trade easier to live with though !

Dobber Sports Giant

I really don't like the trade, but since you were able to pick up Kuznetsov, that definitely affects things a little bit. So essentially the trade was:

Giroux, Nichushkin, Anderson <--> Bobrovsky, ROR, E.Staal, Kuznetsov.

You probably give up the best player / best prospect; however, it's not a bad return and you shore up your goaltending with the move. Not bad.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

This being a limited keeper pretty much only Giroux and Staal matter here. You conceded a better keeper to upgrade your goaltending now. It's worth it if you win but I'd have sooner parted with future picks than a keeper like Giroux.

As for whether or not you made a mistake shipping Giroux and not Kane or Perry. I'm sure you can make an argument either way. Those guys are all pretty well bunched in the second tier of stars. Some years you win some years you lose. I wouldn't sweat picking one over the other. I'd sweat not finding a solution that doesn't see you part with a keeper.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Such a tough call between Perry, Kane and Giroux. It could be close to a coin flip either direction. This season and maybe next Perry looks like the best option of the group, he's also the one that could hit a decline first (a couple years older). I go back and forth on Kane and Giroux every season it feels like. They fill similar categories and will always be near each other in value.

I think you made the right call in going with one of Kane or Giroux and keeping Perry. Since Corey fills different categories than them it gives your team some versatility. I'm also a big proponent of Bob, likely top 10 tender next year.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not a big fan of Staal as he has been slipping with every year and Nichuskin's upside is very high. A high price, you did upgrade your goalie, and picked up a hot rookie in kuznetsov. Its one of those trades I think you didn't lose by taking it, but you won't have hurt yourself by not doing it either.