Thread: 20 team roto - thoughts?

The Wolverine

Default 20 team roto - thoughts?

I just drafted for this league so figured I'd share and would appreciate feedback. I had the last pick - ugh - so it was difficult targeting players when you have to wait 39 picks until I get 2 in a row. At least I'll have the #1 waiver in case someone is impatient in the early going.

Yahoo, one-year, 20 teams, roto
    C,1B,2B,SS,3B,3OF,Util,2SP,2RP,3P,5BN
    R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS,W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP
    Max games=162, Max innings=1250

(Round and pick in parentheses)

C: d'Arnaud (17-340); 1B: Freeman (2-21); 2B: Utley (9-180); SS: Tulowitzki (1-20), Cozart (FA); 3B: Frazier (12-221);
    OF: Heyward (4-61), Werth (5-100), Victorino (7-140), Span (14-261), Bourjos (19-380)
    SP: Price (3-60), Shields (6-101), A. Wood (11-220), Kennedy (15-300), E. Ramirez (18-341), Skaggs (21-420);
    RP: Balfour (8-141), Hunter (10-181), O'Day (13-260), Putz (16-301), D. Webb (20-381)

Edit: Dropped Skaggs for Cozart.

I've added some initial thoughts hidden below, in case they are not necessary for your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Some initial thoughts:
    - Probably don't need six SP but my final round hitter targets were picked so took a flyer on Skaggs. For the bottom half of my rotation, I may wait to see how they start before I put them in. If one or two struggle, then I may look for another backup hitter or SP reliever who gets holds.
    - There's a bit of injury risk but it's the way the draft went and figured I had to take value when I could e.g. Tulo at 20 and (maybe) Utley at 180. I wanted Aviles as a back up due to 2B,SS,3B eligibility but someone nabbed him before I could.
    - Think my offensive balance is ok (as above, assuming health). May be my downfall if the usual suspects get hurt.
    - From what I've read, Bourjos seems like a decent sleeper pick.
    - I wanted two solid SP and then was willing to wait until later.
    - Didn't get a chance to get a more secure second closer unless I reached. I figured I needed O'Day to handcuff Hunter. It seems a lot of teams are in the same boat - one solid closer and speculative second or top setup men.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: 20 team roto - thoughts?

I think its a solid team being that you picked last...you have some good picks but you never know how one pans out til the season starts with injuries and slumps...Freeman, Tulo, Frazier, Heyward, Price, Shields, Wood, are great picks in my opinion..I really dont like having a large league like this but hope you do well and i would look for some way to upgrade on your RP maybe...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm still ramping up my fantasy baseball strategy for this year (and looking for a league/s)...

But I'd give this an A or A+.

Notes I subscribe to:
    1. If you can't get an elite 1B/2B/SS/3B in the first three rounds... wait until much later. You did this well.
    2. Get one or two rock SPs. Supplement with good "HOLD" type guys that will keep you K/IP and WHIP,ERA in check.
    3. Don't overdraft saves or C. You did this well too.

People down here in ATL expect solid things from Freeman, Heyward, and from A.Wood.
    I think it will be a good team in a NL that is transitioning... the Braves should post some good numbers.

Good work.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimerwingfan View Post
    I think its a solid team being that you picked last...you have some good picks but you never know how one pans out til the season starts with injuries and slumps...Freeman, Tulo, Frazier, Heyward, Price, Shields, Wood, are great picks in my opinion..I really dont like having a large league like this but hope you do well and i would look for some way to upgrade on your RP maybe...
    Thanks for your feedback. For sure, I wasn't pleased with having the last pick, so I had to adjust my strategy as I went. Yeah, health is a big risk with guys like Tulo, Utley, Werth and Victorino. More than one of them going down for a significant time and I could be in trouble, but I felt I got them at good value considering the risk. Maybe I can flip one or two for good value if they have a good first month or two.

The way the draft went, a lot of teams are in a similar position RP-wise: one 'steady' closer, one late flier or elite set up man, and then a few strategic handcuffs and hold guys. I'm hoping O'Day is the main handcuff for Hunter so that would give me most of the Orioles' saves. I strategically picked my last two holds guys as those who may still have a shot at the closer's job. I've read somewhere that Reed isn't guaranteed the job yet, but even if he does start with it, Putz has that experience so maybe he'll get a chance down the road. Webb was a worthy late flier considering the Sox may be relying on a first timer (Jones) this season. Fingers crossed some of my gambles and injury prone players pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm still ramping up my fantasy baseball strategy for this year (and looking for a league/s)...

But I'd give this an A or A+.

Notes I subscribe to:
    1. If you can't get an elite 1B/2B/SS/3B in the first three rounds... wait until much later. You did this well.
    2. Get one or two rock SPs. Supplement with good "HOLD" type guys that will keep you K/IP and WHIP,ERA in check.
    3. Don't overdraft saves or C. You did this well too.

People down here in ATL expect solid things from Freeman, Heyward, and from A.Wood.
    I think it will be a good team in a NL that is transitioning... the Braves should post some good numbers.

Good work.
    Thanks man, I hope you're right. I'm still not totally convinced of my squad due the injury risks, especially as I don't have backups to Tulo and Utley just yet. I'll have a look around the league to see if I can acquire a backup somewhere, or keep an eye on an under-the-radar option on FA if one starts hot.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Generally you're offense looks pretty safe - haven't participated in 20 team redraft leagues in awhile so not sure their exact values, but seems you have a nice mix. Generally would've waited on closers a few rounds later, and you might need another pitcher eventually. Hunter and O'Day on my team scares the crap out of me and would love to package them as quick as I can.
    Twitter: @jasonang00

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by djkiang View Post
    Generally you're offense looks pretty safe - haven't participated in 20 team redraft leagues in awhile so not sure their exact values, but seems you have a nice mix. Generally would've waited on closers a few rounds later, and you might need another pitcher eventually. Hunter and O'Day on my team scares the crap out of me and would love to package them as quick as I can.
    Thanks. I think my offense is decent but worried about the injury risks. Unfortunately I couldn't wait on closers because they were pretty much picked clean by the time I chose Hunter. Most teams grabbed one 'solid' closer and then either got a second late, a flier or a top set up man. There were a couple fliers whose role was still unclear so I figured to grab a second and hope to get a handcuff. Who knows, O'Day may not be the handcuff so I'll keep an eye on the situation. Also to update, with Chapman going down, I had a look and someone already had Hoover, and someone else just picked up Broxton. What are your thoughts on Daniel Webb? Do you think he could be in the mix for saves if Jones falters? If not, could he still be a good source of holds with decent peripherals?

As for SP, do you mean quantity or quality? Note that there is an innings limit of 1250 if that is relevant to your comment. In terms of quantity, I doubt I'll need more than 5 SPs given that innings limit. In terms of quality, what are your concerns mainly - Kennedy bouncing back, Ramirez not really significant etc? I figured I got them late enough so not concerned this early - will see how they start the season. By the way, I've already dropped Skaggs for Cozart to give me a backup SS as I have Tulo.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yes, for speculative saves, Daniel Webb is good.
    Also might want to look at Vik Black, Junichi Tazawa, Francisco Rodriguez if they are also available.

As for SP, you look like you have a nice staff, so I meant just another warm body that won't kill you, but it isn't necessary. Better to fill your bench with MR's that can help your ratios.
    Twitter: @jasonang00

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by djkiang View Post
    Yes, for speculative saves, Daniel Webb is good.
    Also might want to look at Vik Black, Junichi Tazawa, Francisco Rodriguez if they are also available.

As for SP, you look like you have a nice staff, so I meant just another warm body that won't kill you, but it isn't necessary. Better to fill your bench with MR's that can help your ratios.
    Thanks. As for those RP suggestions, all are taken. It's a deep league.

Have to say I'm not a huge fan of having relievers on my bench as I don't really know when they'll play and who to replace in the starting lineup on busy nights. Sure I could check previous usage and guess, but I'd rather just fill all my RP and P slots with relievers and know I won't miss an appearance. Then I'd have my 'bench' as only SP to insert into my SP slots when they start (or play matchups).