Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: James Neal - concussion

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: James Neal - concussion

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    The thing that concerns me is that in the interview posted by wendelclark17 (above), Neal admits that he was playing through the symptoms and it was affecting his game. That explain his funk and I can only hope he is fully recovered and not trying to play through the symptoms again.
    Explains alot! He's not officially a ppg player, but he's not a ''go cold for 10+ games'' player either. Him not getting .80-.90 ppg over a good stretch is cause for concern IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Master

The thing that concerns me is that in the interview posted by wendelclark17 (above), Neal admits that he was playing through the symptoms and it was affecting his game. That explain his funk and I can only hope he is fully recovered and not trying to play through the symptoms again.
    That's exactly what I had in mind.. Don't like the idea of playing him if he's not 100%. It's not like the PENS can't win without him. He's obviously a huge part of the attack , but let's be reasonable here. Athletes always wanna play, so it's hard to keep them out.. That said, I would prefer Neal to play in a long, successful career and that requires proper care and diligence.

Anywho, I hope he doesn't have any more symptoms or that if he does, he won't play. PIT doctors are pretty good with concussions usually, so I would trust their call obviously so if he played, I'm sure he could. But yeah, take it easy Jimmy Neal..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

The Great One

Again, as Neal states in the (very telling) interview, the doctors rely on him to be truthful with them about the symptoms and in the end it is his call. If he tells the doctors he is symptom-free, they will clear him to play. I just hope he is being truthful with them, when obviously he wasn't being truthful before and was admittedly playing through the symptoms, which was affecting his play.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

Again, as Neal states in the (very telling) interview, the doctors rely on him to be truthful with them about the symptoms and in the end it is his call. If he tells the doctors he is symptom-free, they will clear him to play. I just hope he is being truthful with them, when obviously he wasn't being truthful before and was admittedly playing through the symptoms, which was affecting his play.
    True. However in addition to this, I have a very strong sense that the team doctors have way more to go on than just Neal's comments with regards to his symptoms. It's a piece of the puzzle and doctors have many ways to know if a patient is lying or is being somewhat dishonest about his symptoms, like a battery of tests and observations they can make in his behaviour. Getting a patient to explain their symptoms is simply part of their evaluation process for a player's condition.. It's like collecting "tells" in poker. A player may check or raise, but what his opponent is paying attention to is all the cues around the bet, not the bet or the amount of the bet itself. That tells you very little about what's going on.. There's a reason they lock these doctors away for 17 years of post-secondary education and residency training... They're generally pretty smart people and take their work pretty seriously. I don't think they'd clear Neal to play if he wasn't fit to, irrespective of what he told them.. or they'd make him sign a ridiculous waiver..

I think he is fit to play, but if it was me, I would err on the side of caution with the guy... He may have said he was playing through symptoms, but I trust the medical staff's estimation of his symptoms way more than his own. He may have played through what he said/felt like were symptoms, where instead they were not.

In any event, I hope he busts this slump. I need him for the stretch run!
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck