Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: James Neal - concussion

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: James Neal - concussion

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    So now what? Do I re-aquire him for the impending playoffs in my one year league, or is he better left on the wire?
    If he was on the wire in any of my leagues I would absolutely grab him. Even if he's not ready, will you really miss one of the scrubs on your bench to find out?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    If he was on the wire in any of my leagues I would absolutely grab him. Even if he's not ready, will you really miss one of the scrubs on your bench to find out?
    A scrub can still score more than anyone who ends up getting put on the IR. I guess I just think this miraculous return feels rushed, and I have to make the decision by tomorrow and roll with what I have on the roster after then. If Neal plays a game and then is back on the IR for two weeks, then I want the scrub who quietly gets his point every second game. Dilemma, n'est-ce pas?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    A scrub can still score more than anyone who ends up getting put on the IR. I guess I just think this miraculous return feels rushed, and I have to make the decision by tomorrow and roll with what I have on the roster after then. If Neal plays a game and then is back on the IR for two weeks, then I want the scrub who quietly gets his point every second game. Dilemma, n'est-ce pas?
    Understood, but well worth the risk if you ask me.

If the penguins were fighting for a playoff spot then I would be weary of his early return. Because they aren't, I have no reason to think that they are bringing him back prematurely (assuming he is in fact returning). We hear the word concussion and assume a guy needs to be benched for months so it doesn't happen again - as others have mentioned, that's not really how it has to work.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Im trying to decide if I should play neal for 4 games or tuomo ruutu for 4 home games this week?? what would u guys do...figure neal will play 2 maybe 3 of his games this week..who is a better play?

Dobber Sports Ace

Cautiously optimistic that there's no relapse coming... <eyes closed and fingers crossed>
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 32/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Miller(RW), Vatrano(LW)
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Connor, E.Kane
    RW} Nichushkin(LW), Zuccarello, Rust
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} DeSmith, Daccord, Grubauer
    IR} Guentzel
    IR+} Demko

via GIPHY

The Great One

According to CBS Sportsline:

News: (03/17/14) Coach Dan Bylsma wasn't optimistic James Neal (concussion) would return to the lineup Tuesday. "Don't know at this point in time (if he can play Tuesday vs. Dallas or Thursday in Detroit)," Bylsma told the Penguins' website. "Obviously he was symptom-free and went out for a full practice, so hopefully he remains symptom-free and can progress from there."

Analysis: "Today was a good day and I felt good out there in practice," James Neal said. "Keep getting better from here." Starting Neal in weekly leagues is a tough call. He sounds as if he wants to play all four games this week, but his coach seems to think sitting Tuesday and Thursday might be a better idea. Either way, Neal figures to see action in at least two games.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by egstud19 View Post
    Im trying to decide if I should play neal for 4 games or tuomo ruutu for 4 home games this week?? what would u guys do...figure neal will play 2 maybe 3 of his games this week..who is a better play?
    Looks like it might be Ruutu for 4 or Neal for 2. I'd roll with Ruutu in that scenario. Plugs are plugs and get pts here and there. Injured players buy popcorn, not points..

That said, I'd look to grab Neal and stash him anyways, as there are more than 4 games left on the season. He'll play.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

via twitter after practice today:

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 1h
    Per coach Bylsma: “Lineup will be a game time decision. Neal & Kunitz need to be cleared by doctors to play tonight. Zatkoff will be in net"

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 1h
    Bylsma said Neal, Kunitz need clearance from doctors to play for #pens tonight. Zatkoff in net.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 11m
    James Neal was interviewed by the media after this morning’s skate. Hear what he had to say: http://pens.pe/1izFZKd

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    via twitter after practice today:

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 1h
    Per coach Bylsma: “Lineup will be a game time decision. Neal & Kunitz need to be cleared by doctors to play tonight. Zatkoff will be in net"

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 1h
    Bylsma said Neal, Kunitz need clearance from doctors to play for #pens tonight. Zatkoff in net.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 11m
    James Neal was interviewed by the media after this morning’s skate. Hear what he had to say: http://pens.pe/1izFZKd
    Thanks for the update. They should sit him if he isn't 100% ready but that's me and I'm not in fantasy hockey playoffs lol.

For the long term and especially with concussions, why risk it with PIT sitting pretty good?
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Two On One View Post
    Son a b|tch...

James Neal diagnosed with a concussion by doctors yesterday. Out for home and home series vs Flyers.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/news/
    Really tough break for everyone. There isn't a good way to replace your 1st round draft choice a week before the playoffs.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Really tough break for everyone. There isn't a good way to replace your 1st round draft choice a week before the playoffs.
    You're a bit late to the party, he's cleared by doctors and might play tonight.

Dobber Sports Guru

He is on for warmup which is a good sign.

“@MolinariPG: Kunitz and Neal are on the ice for the Penguins' pregame warmups.”

Dobber Sports Guru

Seems like he is in tonight

“@penguins: Tonight's #Pens lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak, Jokinen-Malkin-Neal, Glass-Goc-Vitale, Gibbons-Sutter-Adams.”

Dobber Sports Master

Neal returned to a pointless effort. Looking at his last 10 games or so, he is in a bit of a funk. He can work through it, I just hope he is at 100% so he can do so.. PENS don't need to rush this guy.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Neal returned to a pointless effort. Looking at his last 10 games or so, he is in a bit of a funk. He can work through it, I just hope he is at 100% so he can do so.. PENS don't need to rush this guy.
    The thing that concerns me is that in the interview posted by wendelclark17 (above), Neal admits that he was playing through the symptoms and it was affecting his game. That explain his funk and I can only hope he is fully recovered and not trying to play through the symptoms again.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98