Thread: Many Eggs From One Basket Question

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Many Eggs From One Basket Question

This may sound ridiculous, I just want to propose a question to you all: Are you comfortable with three or more forwards on your roster from the same team (superstars aside) in a relatively shallow league. For example, I've lined up Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds in my H2H leauge before (Team 1, I currently don't have Voracek) but tend to feel like I need the Flyers to have a great night for me to feel good about it.

I realize I should follow the numbers, but if it's a busy night I seldom like dressing all three players in fear of them getting blanked.

Advice?
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Many Eggs From One Basket Question

I get the same feeling, but if they are producing I don't see a reason to stop. This season I've had 3 players from NYR, PHX, and TB at times. It obviously doesn't spread out your scoring and if the team has an off night, so do you. Generally I'll only do this for a limited time unless all players are producing well.
    Yahoo! H2H, Daily Starts, Min 3 G starts/Week, Max 2 Pick Ups/Week.

1 Year,12 Team
    G, A, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

2 C: JT Miller, Giroux
    3 W: B. Tkatchuk, Toffoli, S. Reinhart
    4 D: Hamilton, Heiskanen, Nurse, Sanheim
    2 G: Venecek, Jarry
    4 BN: Wilson, Nelson, Svechnikov, Barkov
    2 IR: Meier

Dobber Sports Expert

I like to run with two players max from a single team. I really like tandems both EV and PP. On some nights you will get blanked but more often than not you won't. This is especially true with elite tandems but it even works with an elite and a not so like Giroux and Voracek. I have used three from a single team at times but for the most part it's a fill-in for an injury.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks guys! I'm on par with your answers and typically I think diversification is the safest method. Nonetheless, the best player available is exactly that. Always a bummer though when you dress two of three and the bench rider ends up pointing! And sometimes I find that I'll drop the third player in order to pick up a free agent that plays on less busy nights, just to get more games in per week.
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Veteran

I also like to limit it to 2 per team most of the time (not including goalies).....when the team is slumping, or has a crappy schedule, it really starts to sting if you have multiple players from the same team. Fully agree that the duos can be a very effective strategy though.....if you own an elite Star, it's often good strategy to acquire their running-mate to double the pleasure
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

Elite duos... Makes me think of mt319, he posted about them a lot... I like two roll 2 or 3 guys from a team, simply because I want to watch the guys on my team and I can only watch 1 game at a time.

Dobber Sports Giant

Elite tandems are where it's at.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Tandems getting a lot of cred! High risk high reward sometimes but with the right one it looks like a good strategy. Haha, pretty sure every fantasy team wants to double the pleasure Shiva!

Good to hear, I like the idea more and more. Perhaps it'll be frustrating at times but the payoff could be fruitful!
    I suppose it can work backwards too...should one player from a tandem get hurt it could have ill effects.
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I do try to pick the best player available, but when drafting, then yes I will try to do two only if I can help it. When it comes to free agents then I'll go for the best. If there are two FA available that are very close then I'll avoid taking a third from that team though.

Obviously taking the best will mean at some point they will produce, but at other times it'll hurt you when they get blanked. As you mentioned it does make it harder for man games available. In that case I'd still take the best available but then try and swing a trade to diversify my roster afterwards.

Basically if you can help it, keep it to two no more than 3 unless they are Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Kunitz or something like that haha even then I'd probably throw one of them up for trade but pick them up first
    1 Year H2H (G,A,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,Hits, SOG,W,GAA, SV%,SHO), 8 Teams 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 3G, 4 Bench, 2 IR

C: M.Koivu, Sharp (LW), Stepan
    LW: Perron (RW), Soderberg, Landeskog
    RW: Ovechkin, Carter (C/LW), Skinner (C/LW)
    F: Simmonds, Johansen, Anisimov
    D: Doughty, OEL, Franson, Gudas, Enstrom, Daley
    G: Price, Varlamov
    BN: Stempniak, Perreault, Lee, Michalek, Maroon
    IR: Letang
    Lost to Injury: Tavares, M.Smith, Dupuis, Fowler, Parenteau, Kreider, Granlund, Lupul, McDonagh

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eyenerd View Post
    I do try to pick the best player available, but when drafting, then yes I will try to do two only if I can help it. When it comes to free agents then I'll go for the best. If there are two FA available that are very close then I'll avoid taking a third from that team though.

Obviously taking the best will mean at some point they will produce, but at other times it'll hurt you when they get blanked. As you mentioned it does make it harder for man games available. In that case I'd still take the best available but then try and swing a trade to diversify my roster afterwards.

Basically if you can help it, keep it to two no more than 3 unless they are Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Kunitz or something like that haha even then I'd probably throw one of them up for trade but pick them up first
    I like your strategy!! It seems over the past few years I've always drafted without the intention of trading players off the get-go. Seems to me that snagging the best player available then (possibly) packaging him for a return that strengthens my team could be a strategy I try next year. May be ballsy depending on the player, but may also be freakin' SMRT.
    Getting blanked is always a tough pill to swallow...then I always think there's something wrong with my team...which there could be if it isn't diverse enough with non-elite caliber players.
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Padawan

I love to have a great duo. In one of my leagues, I have Benn and Seguin, another league I have Crosby and Kunitz. When one of those teams has a big night it can win me a matchup for the week

That being said, I have a problem with the PHI tandems in particular. I was in the same situation, where I had Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds (and Mason) in one league. First of all, all three are RW eligible. I like to use Giroux as a RW because the best FA's are usually Centers. Whenever PHI had an off night (and there have been a lot of them), I would get killed in +/- and goaltending from Mason.

Ended up packaging Voracek in a deal for Getzlaf, and traded Mason for Ladd. I think that duos are great, but anything more than 2 from a team is too risky.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by BealestreetTyrant View Post
    I like your strategy!! It seems over the past few years I've always drafted without the intention of trading players off the get-go. Seems to me that snagging the best player available then (possibly) packaging him for a return that strengthens my team could be a strategy I try next year. May be ballsy depending on the player, but may also be freakin' SMRT.
    Getting blanked is always a tough pill to swallow...then I always think there's something wrong with my team...which there could be if it isn't diverse enough with non-elite caliber players.
    Yeah, I'm always up for trading even from the get-go. However, if your league isn't very active then it might be hard to unload your player. But still, picking the best player in the draft is still the best way to go! When your trio or whatever heats up at some point in the season I'm sure you can find a trade partner
    1 Year H2H (G,A,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,Hits, SOG,W,GAA, SV%,SHO), 8 Teams 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 3G, 4 Bench, 2 IR

C: M.Koivu, Sharp (LW), Stepan
    LW: Perron (RW), Soderberg, Landeskog
    RW: Ovechkin, Carter (C/LW), Skinner (C/LW)
    F: Simmonds, Johansen, Anisimov
    D: Doughty, OEL, Franson, Gudas, Enstrom, Daley
    G: Price, Varlamov
    BN: Stempniak, Perreault, Lee, Michalek, Maroon
    IR: Letang
    Lost to Injury: Tavares, M.Smith, Dupuis, Fowler, Parenteau, Kreider, Granlund, Lupul, McDonagh