Thread: Safer option: Goldschmidt or McCutchen?

The Wolverine

Default Safer option: Goldschmidt or McCutchen?

Hey everyone,

Who do you feel is the safer option this season to produce last season's numbers - Goldschmidt or McCutchen, and your reasons why (which is equally important)? Please focus on the numbers only as draft strategy, position, roster structure, upside etc aren't relevant for my question. All things being equal, who you think has less risk this season and why? Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Safer option: Goldschmidt or McCutchen?

I think both are safe options to come close to last year.
    I probably favor McCutchen by a hair, because he adds more speed, and i think he can hit 25-30 hrs.
    FanGraphs has Goldy down in all 5 catergories this year. He was extremely lucky in hitting with runners on last year, boosting his rbi totals.
    They have McCutchen up in 2, down in 3.
    Wisdom of the Crowds Projections, has Goldy at $41, McCutchen $39.
    I just feel McCutchen can up his numbers more then Goldy can.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Depends what you're after. McCutchen is the safer bet to not disappoint you. You know you're getting at least 20/25 along with a .300+ average.

This does not mean Goldschmidt is no slouch. Expect the homers to regress slightly, but where you may be disappointed is the stolen base totals. Opportunities decreased last year which is a reasonable assumption considering his success rate decreased last year.
    Twitter: @jasonang00

Dobber Sports Deity

Hard choice here. I like both and both are safe options in my opinion.

McCuthen is a complete player who brings everything you want in a fantasy baseball player. He has put together two straight quality fantasy seasons in regards to average, HR's, RBIs, SBs and Runs scored.

Goldschmidt is no slouch himself and even put up solid SB numbers for a 1st baseman last year. I think with Trumbo coming in, his numbers could even improve a bit this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

I like Goldy as he will get more HR and more RBI and only lose out in SB over the whole season - even just that rudamentary means he wins 2-1 if all else is equal, which is mostly is...

Dobber Sports Sage

McCutchen for me and it's not a hard decision on my part
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

McCutchen is consistency. He has room to grow in his power numbers though. All upside....McCutchen IMHO.