Thread: Help With Determining Keepers / Playoff Roster Decisions

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Help With Determining Keepers / Playoff Roster Decisions

Team and league in sig. I am in a battle for first place this final week of the regular season, but I am guaranteed a first round bye in the H2H playoffs. We keep 12 players for next year, so I'm trying to determine my keepers now, so I can identify players that could be dropped for WW options with better schedules to load up in time for my H2H semi-final, and/or use those roster spot(s) for streaming (we have 4 players adds allowed per week). Right now, Pommy holds the streamer spot I've been using all season, so he's not in consideration for keepers.

Here's what I have so far:

For sure keepers: Crosby, Hall, MaxPac, Callahan, Hartnell, Lundy, Quick, Karlsson, Burns, McDonagh, Gudas (11)

If people don't agree with any of these let me know.

I'm having a tough time figuring out who to spend that last spot on. My options are:

- Carlson. He's a stud dman in my format with the sog and bs, but has a weaker schedule the semis and finals with only 3 games each week. Week of the semis he has 3 days off between games, making that an ideal spot to plug in another player instead. Already keeping 4 dmen, don't really need a 5th. Wondering if I should drop him for another dman that also blocks shots and plays 4 and 4 to gain 2 man-games there.

- Semin. Kept him over from last year and he's been a disappointment up until recently. OK playoff sched, he plays 3,4.

- Ott. Grabbed off waivers after the trade. Can be a monster in my format and is no longer a +/- cancer. Ok playoff sched, 3 games and 4 games. Thinking about maybe adding a multi-cat agitator that plays another man-game like Roussel who plays 4 and 4, but I also like Ott long-term with Stl. in my format too as a potential keeper.

- Mason. Goalies carry a lot of value in our league, and it's really slim pickings on the wire. We count saves, so starters that see volume have extra value. He's been a great #3 for me this year behind Lundy and Quick, and would be tough to replace if I didn't keep him. I traded my 1st and 2nd rounders in next year's re-draft in a deal for Sid, so I wouldn't have a shot to draft a 3rd goalie till round 3.

Given all the info, what do the savvy folks in here suggest in terms of my keepers and managing my roster for the playoffs?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Help With Determining Keepers / Playoff Roster Decisions

Don't have any advice to give regarding playoff rosters, but I'd keep Carlson. I don't like Mason or Semin, and Carlson is a great own in leagues that count SOG and Blocks, and I think Green is finally off of PP1 for good so he will post solid PPP numbers too. I know a lot of people have gone sour on Carlson, but I still think he has it in him to regularly be a 40+ guy with incredible shot and block totals. I think he will be my 14th keeper on my roster as he seems to be incredibly valuable.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Don't have any advice to give regarding playoff rosters, but I'd keep Carlson. I don't like Mason or Semin, and Carlson is a great own in leagues that count SOG and Blocks, and I think Green is finally off of PP1 for good so he will post solid PPP numbers too. I know a lot of people have gone sour on Carlson, but I still think he has it in him to regularly be a 40+ guy with incredible shot and block totals. I think he will be my 14th keeper on my roster as he seems to be incredibly valuable.
    Thanks! I agree on Semin, I am almost certainly not going to keep him. His huge sog totals when he's healthy sure are nice though. I know what you mean about Carlson, I won with him last year and redrafted him again this year with my second pick......he's a beast in my format. It just seems strange to keep 5 dmen and I can't drop Karlsson, McDonagh, Burns or Gudas who I brought up from the farm and want to protect. I did make some trades at the end of the year to bring in Burns and Karlsson to bolster my D, so I suppose I could keep 5 and make that a huge strength of my team, and then fill out my depth forwards and 3rd goalie via the re-draft. There are more quality forwards left late in the draft than dmen, so that makes sense I suppose. My only major issue with Carlson is the crappy playoff sched with only 6 games the final 2 weeks. I'm gunning for the title and a couple of man-games could make all the difference.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well,even though jcairns was the only one to reply, I just wanted to update this thread anyway. Out of the blue, a manager dropped Hedman (no idea why, he is not even in the playoff race), so I dropped my borderline-keeper in Carlson and grabbed a definite keeper stud in Hedman.

I will now be spending 5 of my 12 keeper spots on defensemen, but I now have (IMO) the best stable of d-men in our league in Karlsson, Burns, Hedman, McDonagh and Gudas. With all of them still young and none yet in their prime, these 5 will likely be the backbone of my team for years to come. With my recent shipping out of Boyle and acquisition of Burns (who is really a F) and now swapping Carlson for Hedman, I've lost a bit in the bs department, but gained a lot in sog, hits, and PIM. Those boosts will let me dump Ott (who's been underwhelming) and grab a more productive offensive player for my playoff run. There are some good options like J. Jokinen, Wingels etc. on the wire.

I will be a little thin at forward into next year as I'll only use 5 keeper spots on forwards, but snagging quality depth forwards is a lot easier than finding stud dmen. This also means I will be dropping Mason, but I'm very solid with Lundy and quick as my #1 and 2, I'll just have to hope I can snag a decent option in the re-draft next year.

Dobber Sports Titan

I like your team, I am afraid burns will lose his D position in the offseason, just because he lost it in CBC and I think ESPN leagues. Yahoo tends to be slow (I’m assuming you’re on Yahoo if he’s still D available). That being said, you now have a very solid forward, and you can just draft a 5th defense if you would like. You’re goalies are very good I think, redrafting a goalie may be difficult not having a draft pick till round 3. However, there’s always a goalie that surprises everyone every year. This year was harding, Khnobudin, bernier (somewhat), Mason, Talbot (when playing), Bishop was a big surprise too. Follow teams and their plans on the offseason and see what goalies may be a surprise. Maybe get a goalie into your farm team (Jake Allen, Gibson?)

-follow Kuznetsov for next year. He’s rooming with Ovi, and they’re like brothers already. In few shifts together, they’ve developed some very good chemistry. He’s a big guy too, I’ve seen him go into the corners to get pucks and drive the net, if Ovi is his mentor I can see Kuzy getting some good hit numbers too. He’s got the right build and mentality to be a big time power forward.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

Personally I'd probably try and keep Semin, likely by dropping someone like Gudas or McDonagh. I don't like to keep as many defence as you are looking at, especially in a league with your cats where you can usually find real good options for HITS/BLKS/PIMS at the D slot off the waiver wire or in the later rounds of a draft. I also like the idea of having a D slot or two that roster guys I don't have a problem cycling players off the wire. Semin has been disappointing this year but Carolina as a whole has been awful, and he has more upside then any of your forward keepers outside of Sid/Hall.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ