Thread: The points system in my league has me baffled. Advice on moving forward would be welcome

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The points system in my league has me baffled. Advice on moving forward would be welcome

Hi guys,

I have joined a few leagues this year, to try and get better at fantasy hockey and go more in-depth than my typical Yahoo one-year league that I have been doing for a few years. As well as a Fantrax one, I joined two in Fleaflicker. One of which is in my sig below, with the scoring system. It was only set up two months ago, with the idea of weeding out inactive owners now and having a good group going for next season.

I have come to the conclusion that I have no love for Fleaflicker as a website and system, and will drop out of the second league at the end of the season. I did so well/got lucky in the autodraft for this main one though, that I would like to stick with it, despite the website.

As the weeks have gone on though, I have become increasingly baffled by the scoring system employed. Starting three G means I am great in that position, strongest in the league. But elsewhere I am losing all over the place. The scoring is basically the overall points each player gets for you each week (so adding the scoring bits, taking away the - in the +/- etc). And the results have shocked me a bit in comparison to my other leagues.

Some examples below. Player and points so far this season:

Kopitar 91
    RNH 35
    M Koivu 32

Sharp 88
    Nick Foligno 56
    Lupul 32

Suter 51
    Yandle 30
    Pietrangelo 76
    Doughty 60

Price 400
    Quick 263

So maybe this isn't news to anyone. But I'm looking at those and think "what?" Price with 150 more than Quick? Doughty double the points of Yandle? Kopitar almost three times RNH/Koivu? Clearly it's just the cats and the way the scoring works, but it's kinda going against most things I have learnt this season!

So given all this, what would you suggest going forwards? Do I try and dump the likes of RNH, Yandle and target LA Kings skaters (as they seem to have lots of points)? Go much more for the gritty players with good +/- (normally a stat I ignore totally) rather than scorers, as they seem to benefit from this sytem? What would you do?
    Fantrax 20 Team H2H 14 Keeper Daily
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP SHP Hit Blk FOW W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Steen Horcoff Umberger Brodziak Griffith
    LW Sedin Palat Roussel Tatar Bergenheim Kulemin
    RW Vey Williams Stafford Toffoli Wingels
    D Karlsson Suban Maata Ceci Yandle Streit Hunwick
    G Crawford, Allen, Nabakov

IR Boyle Murray Pirri Chara Merrill

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: The points system in my league has me baffled. Advice on moving forward would be welcome

What are the actual categories and point values?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: The points system in my league has me baffled. Advice on moving forward would be welcome

This may come out looking awful:

G, A, PPG, SHG, PIM, +/-, H, B, Takeaways, W, OT Loss, SO, GS, SV

1 point for every Goal ALL
    1 point for every Power Play Goal ALL
    1 point for every Short Handed Goal ALL
    1 point for every Assist ALL
    3 points for every 10 Penalty Minutes (0.3 per) ALL
    1 point for every Plus Minus C, LW, RW, D

Defense

1 point for every 5 Hits (0.2 per) C, LW, RW, D
    2 points for every 5 Blocks (0.4 per) C, LW, RW, D
    1 point for every 6 Takeaways (0.17 per) C, LW, RW, D

Goaltending

3 points for every Win G
    1 point for every OT Loss G
    5 points for every Shutout G
    1 point for every Game Started G
    1 point for every 5 Saves (0.2 per) G

Dobber Sports Star

Very strange, but the biggest problem looks to be the high value of plus/minus... I think the best thing you could do is target players that are likely to be plus players for the rest of the season.

Dobber Sports Giant

It may be too late, but I would target less ''sexy'' names that have hit and point potential that are on good teams. Ok, I know, you're thinking these guys are all gone...

But.... just in case, these are the players I would target:
    - Lee Stempniak (most likely available... his +- will rise in Pitts and so will his points and he is a decent hitter)
    - Brent Burns (make the trade for him, he will heat up in the final stretch IMO)
    - Antoine Roussel (IF he's available - I doubt it - he may slot in Dallas' top-6)
    - Andrew Shaw (he's been under the radar this year but has some good stats across the board. Odds are a manager just checking the point totals will have overlooked his 140 hits)

If not, can you provide us with some names that are available in your FA pool?

PS: your first drop should be Lindback, unless you have certain positional requirements (i.e. must carry 4 goalies or a max of x forwards...)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks guys.

Roussel is on the FA list, 44 points so far. the other three are all taken (Shaw 54 points, Stempniak 8 (I assume due to the bad +/- at Flames before the move) and Burns 63)

FA on the list:

Bonino 52
    Craig Smith 50
    Joel Ward 48
    Killorn 46
    Perrault 45 (I hoped I could pick him up and just stash him on IR but the website insists he has to go into starting first, which makes my roster ineligble so can't do it. Helpful)
    Upshall
    Leddy
    Desharnais
    Toffoli
    Roy
    Soderberg
    Raymond
    Bieksa
    Bergland

All the above early 40's

Garbutt
    Legwand
    Anisimov
    Atkinson
    Zajac
    Russell
    Greene
    Coutorier

All late 30's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Also wondering if I should try and package RNH (that defence isn't getting better anytime soon, so +/- will continue to hurt him) with another to get a better keeper?

Dobber Sports Giant

I would keep my eye on Killorn in the next few games. The rest is not much of an upgrade, even in your format. However, if anyone gets injured, grab Smith though.

Also, I think Gonchar's initial +- will have hurt you until now, but going forward, he is still a better option than Leddy IMO.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah Gonchar is a bust right now. Only player I thought about swapping him for was Russell. Seems to be ok +/- wise despite being a Flame, and gets points as well. I will keep an eye on Killhorn.

Do you agree that RNH is unlikely to improve in this format anytime soon? Just thinking about Keepers here.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Bloom View Post
    Do you agree that RNH is unlikely to improve in this format anytime soon? Just thinking about Keepers here.
    I would keep RNH because he does get some hits and his +/- is bound to spike up eventually (the +/- is what is hurting you here). Having him get 80 points, with 80 hits and +15 will make him a much more important piece of your roster. It will most likely happen sooner than later

Callahan could be a beast in this format as well all depending where he signs but at the moment, I would not keep him over Galchenyuk or RNH (your 2 ''weakest'' keepers).

Minors:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Interesting. Maybe I have less faith in the kid and the Oilers than you do! Callahan and Simmonds were my borderline keeprs if I did a 2-1 upgrade, so he was in my thought process.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Would love some more opinions on this if anyone wants to chime in?