Thread: First year keeper league help wanted

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default First year keeper league help wanted

We have a friendly 8 team keeper league about to end its first year. Their are 4 hardcore owners who play for money, and 4 active (yet not as competitive) owners. I have played for 2 years leading into this season and for the first time purchased Dobbers fantasy guide and fantasy hockey geek. WOW what a help. I ran out to 1st place until I hit some injury problems. I started last week 14 points back from the leader, and now sit 6.5 points back from winning.

I am looking at the players I should protect as keepers next year. My scoring categories are:

Goals, assist, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits

It is a yahoo Roto league. We are planning to keep 6 players. No limits on waivers, trades, etc. My fellow GM's tend to go for flashy scoring players first. I snag grinders late like Dubinsky, etc late in the draft as they don't go after the "ugly" categories. I lead the league in PIMS, HITS, SHG, etc. We also do not draft rookies often. This year only 2-3 GM's drafted rookies.

I have looked at my roster and consider these as my strongest options in order by position:

Forwards:
    1. N Backstrum
    2. N Mckinnon
    3. L Couture
    4. E Kane
    5. D Backes

Defenders:
    1. PK Subban
    2. D Byfuglien
    3. OEL

I also have these Goalies to choose from:
    1. T Raask
    2. P RInne
    3. C Crawford

I am thinking of keeping 3 Forwards, 2 Defenders, 1 goalie
    Backstrum, Mackinnon, Couture?
    Subban, Byfuglien
    Raask

I would like to see what anybody else thinks about keeping a strong multi cat guy like Kane or Backes over the Kid. Maybe protect them and in 1-2 round of draft get the kid back. Currently Backes is a top 10 player in my league according to FHG.

We don't often take newer players/rookies/etc ..... but we have one guy who is a Av's Homer! to watch out for. Also, would you keep 2 goalies from my list and go 2 F, 2 D, 2 G? Will Rinne bounce back (will Preds score enough goals to get wins for him?) Crawford is so so and only really helps in the win dept. I was thinking of shopping both goalies around for improved draft picks to some teams who struggled with goalies this year if I am not keeping either, that is.

Thanks guys,

Steve
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: First year keeper league help wanted

I would keep Backstrom, Mackinnon, Couture, Kane, Subban, and Rask. In a limited keeper like that where you only keep 6 players (and only start 4D) there is no reason you should be keeping 2D unless you own Karlsson and Subban or something like that. Likewise, I would usually recommend against keeping a Goaltender in such a limited keeper; however, since you own Rask (a top3 option) you definitely have to keep him IMO. If not, you could offer him in a trade for an upgrade on one of your F keepers in the offseason - that's always an option since goalies are so easy to acquire in the draft in a league like yours. It's better to invest keeper slots in forwards going into the next season.

Ultimately, since you have such a strong goalie, I would keep him. But normally, I'm not such a fan of keeping a goalie in a limited keeper like yours. Especially an 8-team league, it might be a better strategy to trade Rask in the offseason. The more I think about it, the more I like it. As of now, however, your keepers should be:

Backstrom/Mack/Couture/Kane/Subban/Rask

If you trade Rask + Backes, for instance, you might have a shot at landing yourself an ELITE forward keeper option. Or something like Rask + Couture for Crosby/Malkin? Then keep Backes ... you have lots and lots of good options. I think trading Rask + current keeper for ELITE keeper, and then slotting in Backes is probably your best bet. Sorry for the conflicting advice, lol.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

A lot of it depends on if Big Buff keeps his D status for next year. If so, he is a must keep, if not I think I would go with 4F, 1D, 1G. I'm not a big fan of keeping more than one d-man in limited keepers like this as you can draft d-men late who help fill out the "ugly" categories you mention.

Under no circumstances do I keep 2 goalies here because you have too many high quality players you would be letting go. Rask is the clear cut keeper goalie.

Backstrom, Backes, Couture, MacKinnon and Subban would be the players I want to keep. But it is really tough to lose Rinne/Crawford/Byfuglien for nothing. See if you can package some guys together in a 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trade. With the quality of talent on your team, you may even be able to land a Stamkos or Malkin. Or at least move them for draft picks like you said.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with MounD in that you shouldn't be keeping 2 D unless they are Karlsson and Subban.

I think 5 of your keepers are easy choices: Backstrom, Couture, MacKinnon, Subban, Rask.

I'm stuck on your 6th between Kane and Rinne. I wouldn't normally suggest keeping 2 goalies, especially in an 8 team league, but if you kept Rinne you'd have 2 of the top 6 goalies. I think that'd be worth dropping Kane, who you could possibly redraft in the early rounds while other teams are looking for their first or second goalies.

If you don't move anyone to upgrade one of your keepers (like MounD suggested), and forced to make a choice between those two, I'd go with Rinne. It's against the grain, but you wouldn't have to worry about drafting a 3rd goalie until late in the draft.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah I need to get the commish to rule on offseason trades I guess. That will let me know if I can trade in the offseason or if things must be done during the season, which might cause a problem as I fight for 6.5 points to win $600 + this year. I don't see myself moving goalies when I am still playing for 1st!

W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

The Great One

Is SOG "Shots on Goal" or "Shoot Out Goals". I get fooled by that stat sometimes.

If it is Shots, then you have to keep Byfuglien, if he maintains his "d" status.

You also don't want to keep 2 goalies in such a small league. My keepers would be:

Backstrom
    Mackinnon (for upside, even though Backes and Couture have higher value atm)
    Kane (he must have more value than Couture with HITs and Shots as categories)
    Subban
    Byfuglien
    Rask

If Byfuglien doesn't get 'D' status, I'd keep Couture over him.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Is SOG "Shots on Goal" or "Shoot Out Goals". I get fooled by that stat sometimes.

If it is Shots, then you have to keep Byfuglien, if he maintains his "d" status.

You also don't want to keep 2 goalies in such a small league. My keepers would be:

Backstrom
    Mackinnon (for upside, even though Backes and Couture have higher value atm)
    Kane (he must have more value than Couture with HITs and Shots as categories)
    Subban
    Byfuglien
    Rask

If Byfuglien doesn't get 'D' status, I'd keep Couture over him.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Have to keep buff and Kane in a league with those categories. I also see couture and Kane as having similar offensive upside so couldn't make a good argument for why couture should be kept over him

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I just traded Backes, Crawford and a 15th pick for Quick and 20th pick! Should help me this year and I can still shop him as for trades in the offseason. I like my combo of Raask/Quick for next year! if I do keep him. Backes was a maybe keeper and Crawford was not a keeper so I only lost a mid round pick in the deal and earned a keeper.

I like Backes. He is #9 in my league format (FHG) but Dubinsky is not far behind him and not the player my fellow GM's target on drafts so I am fine with getting the same value from another player . What do you guys think of the trade?

Steve

W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

Dobber Sports Deity

I am thinking of keeping 3 Forwards, 2 Defenders, 1 goalie
    Backstrum, Mackinnon, Couture?
    Subban, Byfuglien
    Raask
    I agree with your keepers. You said it yourself, the other GMs focus on flashy guys so that means there will be plenty of hits to be drafted. Keep your snipers, they are harder to find compared to hitters. No doubt Buff is higher on FHG then most of your skaters anyways, and probably higher then Subban. If he keeps his D status, and I think he does because they still have him back there at times, he's a must keep for you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Backstrom, Mac, Couture, E. Kane (if buf isn’t a D)
    Subban, Big Buf (if he’s D eligible)
    Rask

I only say Couture over Kane cause of his +/- and his multi position availability. It does make drafting a little easier. But being high up, assume you’ll be getting last pick in the 1st round. My league usually drafts goalies 1st round, so it would be safe to say the really good goalies (AKA Rinne, Howard, Bernier {Maybe} Varlamov, Bishop) will be gone by the time it gets to you. Take a look around at teams; some could be in the same boat as you with 2 possible keeper goalies, thus they won’t draft a goalie in the first round. Drafting doesn’t mean much in keeper leagues in my eyes. Out of 11 rounds drafting in my league, I only have Kronwall (3rd round) and Campbell (4th round and I should drop him) on my team and I was 1st last yr, and I’m 1st this yr. Everyone has a different strategy, but mine is Keep definite produces, draft dark horses. VERY long story short, Rask is more proven than Rinne, he’s younger (less likely to get hurt), on a better team (more wins).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll