Thread: Looking for a diamond in the rough..

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Looking for a diamond in the rough..

Rebuilding team in pretty desperate need of D. Looking for the best two out of a number of relatively unattractive options that are either already on my team or in FA. It's a multicat fantasy points league, categories include hits, shots and PIMs. Pick two of these guys for upside/likely hood of reaching it:

Rundblad
    Orlov
    Hamonic
    Staal
    McBain

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Looking for a diamond in the rough..

I'll take Orlov and Hamonic here. Decent upside / skill, and both guys have solid team situation surrounding them. Not exactly in line for top PP minutes, but I like their chances more than guys like McBain, Rundblad, and Staal.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Honstly, with Hamonic, Staal, and McBain, you know their upside. What they have done so far in their careers is all you can expect from them. None of those three are going to surprise you. I'd call Hamonic and Staal "safe" options in terms of HITs and PIMs with very little offensive upside. McBain is pretty much useless in every category.

The only two on your list that "may" have some untapped potential are Orlov and Rundblad, but my expectations for them are very low. They only have potential because they haven't really been given much opportunity yet (especially Rundblad). They could very easily amount to nothing, but if you are looking for a player with unknown potential, those are the only two I'd consider. With the other three, we've seen what they can offer, and it isn't anything special.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Honstly, with Hamonic, Staal, and McBain, you know their upside. What they have done so far in their careers is all you can expect from them. None of those three are going to surprise you. I'd call Hamonic and Staal "safe" options in terms of HITs and PIMs with very little offensive upside. McBain is pretty much useless in every category.

The only two on your list that "may" have some untapped potential are Orlov and Rundblad, but my expectations for them are very low. They only have potential because they haven't really been given much opportunity yet (especially Rundblad). They could very easily amount to nothing, but if you are looking for a player with unknown potential, those are the only two I'd consider. With the other three, we've seen what they can offer, and it isn't anything special.
    My thoughts exactly and I'd rank Orlov's upside higher than Rundblad's.

Dobber Sports Giant

Orlov and Rundblad for me
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Orlov and Rundblad for me
    Same.. With a soft spot for Staal.. but these two stick out. McBain, I don' think he has it.. Hamonic will be limited in his NHL fantasy contribution..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Monster

I would not want to swing and miss twice here. I'd roll with Hamonic as he's still young and plays alot, offers some value and is more of a safe pick. For your 2nd choice I would go with Rundblad on a flier and hope. I like Orlov a little bit as well but just have a hunch Rundblad will latch on.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've always been a believer in Hamonic, he's got potential to be a multi-cat stud and is already the Isles' best dman. I'd definitely go with him.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would re word your "Diamond" to Pearl in the Rough.. Orlov pulls away for me slightly, but the Diamond thing throws me off. Take you're Pearl and go with it!

Dobber Sports Deity

Hamonic and Orlov for me. Rundblad has bounced around too much for me to like him as much as I used to.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Unfortunately Orlov got snagged (literally minutes after I posted this thread) so I'm going to have to go with Rundblad and Hamonic. Thanks for all the responses guys!