Thread: Next year and beyond: Schwartz or Eriksson +?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Next year and beyond: Schwartz or Eriksson +?

Thinking to next year, although my team is definitely still in it this year. I have one more keeper than I have room for, as I had to call Schwartz up from my farm during an injury stretch. Points only. I know I can get a very good draft pick for next summer's draft by trading Jaden Schwartz. The other low man on the totem pole is Loui Eriksson, who has not had the season I expected - I acquired him shortly before he was traded to Boston. I don't think there's going to be much of a market for him this summer.

So, keep Loui and take a top-6 pick in next year's draft for Schwartz (undefined, lottery pick), or drop Loui (or flip him for a later pick if I can) and keep Schwartz?

My team is relatively young, but already among the top in the league. What's my best balanced move?
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Next year and beyond: Schwartz or Eriksson +?

I always like to go with the devil you know. I would keep Schwartz and flip Eriksson for a late draft pick if you can. I can see Schwartz beating out Eriksson in production in pretty well every year going forward from this one, at this point in Eriksson's career and after a barrage of injuries.. You already seem to have a lot of Boston anyway. Diversify a bit to spread your risk. Hard to hate keeping Schwartz vs trading him for a prospect that you hope will in fact, turn into Schwartz.

Keep the deli meat.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Eriksson's concussions scare the hell out of me. Don't drop him though becuase his name still carries value as you should get a draft pick at least for him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Keep Schwartz & trade Eriksson
    10 Team Keeper League. 2017 Champion
    Points only. H2H weekly changes. 36 player roster, dress 20 players - 12 F, 6 D, 2 G.

Forwards: (G=1, A=1)
    Patrick Kane, Stamkos, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Marchand, Barzal, Voracek, Svechnikov, Mikael Granlund, Keller, Kevin Hayes, Borgstrom, Stepan, Dvorak, Schmaltz, Yamamoto, Tolvanen

Defence: (G=1, A=1)
    Shattenkirk, Byfuglien, Gostisbehere, Giordano, Goligoski, Niskanen, Montour, Severson, Girard, Boqvist, Brännström, Honka

Goalies: (W=2 + SO=2)
    Frederik Andersen, Crawford

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks gang, that's what I'm thinking. My other option would be to keep both and drop either Anderson (and draft a new backup next year) or drop my 4th D (Campbell or Zidlicky) and promote Trouba next year. Just not sure that Trouba's where I need him quite yet. Either of these options strike you as a better move?
    20-Team Keeper League

16-Team Keeper League
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ccsitdown View Post
    Thanks gang, that's what I'm thinking. My other option would be to keep both and drop either Anderson (and draft a new backup next year) or drop my 4th D (Campbell or Zidlicky) and promote Trouba next year. Just not sure that Trouba's where I need him quite yet. Either of these options strike you as a better move?
    I could definitely see you promoting Trouba next year, actually, in favour of Zidlicky. I don't think he'll have the same magic next season and I could see Trouba doing some damage if WPG decides to keep Byfuglien at forward next year... His development will give them the depth to do that. Dropping the D is always something you could do later though.. If you trade Eriksson (very low trade chip right now) for a decent draft pick, you might have the option of upgrading the pick by trading it with one of the D you want to drop or worst comes to worst, you just use it on a prospect that you stash away.. I still like trading Eriksson at this point.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Titan

Keep Schwartz (I like the deli meat comment haha), trade loui. He’s stuck behind too many people in Boston to be productive like in Dallas. Even if he wasn’t a band-aid, he couldn’t produce the same. This is a bad comparison, but it’s like Clarkson with the Leafs. In NJ he was a top 6 forward with PP time, of course he’s going to get more looks than a 3rd liner in Toronto. Your D core is STACKED! All very reliable D back there. I’d trade Loui for some picks, promote Trouba, get Kuznetsov and put him on your farm (if you can, don’t really know how that works). Your Eriksson replacement should be a forward tho, your defense need 0 help.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Your Eriksson replacement should be a forward tho, your defense need 0 help.
    Looking at the team, I might even suggest an upgrade in goal, if you can. Anderson is pretty good but see if you can land a great prospect (like Jake Allen) or if you can package Anderson with Eriksson or that pick ot get an even better backup...? Your team looks darn good tho.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Looking at the team, I might even suggest an upgrade in goal, if you can. Anderson is pretty good but see if you can land a great prospect (like Jake Allen) or if you can package Anderson with Eriksson or that pick ot get an even better backup...? Your team looks darn good tho.

I would go with Gibson or Anderson in Anaheim, Fasth is gone and Hiller is 32. Wouldn’t be too long before Anderson/Gibson steps in. Allen has to go through (right now) Elliot and Miller. Depending on how long Miller and Hiller sign for, we could see Gibson playing before Allen. This is an off-season thing to look at. Come October St Louis could be either 1.)Miller 2.) Elliot 3.) Allen….or….. 1.)Miller 2.)Allen …….or…. 1.) Elliot 2.) Allen. Anaheim still has to sign Hiller too, so even that situation is a bit foggy. I would bet a lot of money Hiller signs, but who knows. He was making 4.5mill, and prolly would ask for a raise 5yrs? I could see him seeking a 30mill contract. Maybe Anaheim would just turn to Anderson at a cheap 1.5mill/yr?

Goalie prospects are always so hard to predict when they break into the league. I thought Reimer was a fulltime starter for sure 7 months ago.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I thought Elliott was a FA this summer and "everyone" pretty much agrees he is off?
    Fantrax 20 Team H2H 14 Keeper Daily
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP SHP Hit Blk FOW W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Steen Horcoff Umberger Brodziak Griffith
    LW Sedin Palat Roussel Tatar Bergenheim Kulemin
    RW Vey Williams Stafford Toffoli Wingels
    D Karlsson Suban Maata Ceci Yandle Streit Hunwick
    G Crawford, Allen, Nabakov

IR Boyle Murray Pirri Chara Merrill

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Bloom View Post
    I thought Elliott was a FA this summer and "everyone" pretty much agrees he is off?
    I thought so too..

Anywho Allen was just an example for me to illustrate he should maybe grad a great goalie prospect with the pick (or in a trade). Yeah, Allen is the 3rd string to Miller right now. But Miller isn't signed and even though everyone would say he is crazy to not re-sign in STL, stranger things have happened and I don't think there's anything wrong with going after Allen, especially in a dynasty/long-term keeper. I did it when Rask was in the AHL and Thomas was the starter in Boston and lemme tell ya, it was worth it.

Good luck!
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I thought so too..

Anywho Allen was just an example for me to illustrate he should maybe grad a great goalie prospect with the pick (or in a trade). Yeah, Allen is the 3rd string to Miller right now. But Miller isn't signed and even though everyone would say he is crazy to not re-sign in STL, stranger things have happened and I don't think there's anything wrong with going after Allen, especially in a dynasty/long-term keeper. I did it when Rask was in the AHL and Thomas was the starter in Boston and lemme tell ya, it was worth it.

Good luck!
    Yeah I was going with the possibility angle, like Miller doesnt sign, elliot then has to be signed to stop the bleeding kinda thing. But i think grabbing any goalie prospect would be the best bet for him.

Fun fact, Bruins were going to drop Raycroft, but right before they were the leafs came to them and offered rask for raycroft. So if they waited a day, leafs could of done the Raycroft, Toskala, and Giguere experiment, then started Rask……sometimes I can’t believe the things my leafs do

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There's no secret about hockey: ICE TIME. Eriksson's TOI average went from 20m in Dallas to 16m in Boston. There you go. Those 4 minutes are brutal. And center Chris Kelly is no Jamie Benn !!! Yet, I suspect a slow adjustment from concussion. Loui still has great upside, given the proper TOI on top 6. But will he ever get it in Boston?

So, for me, it's 100% Schwartz whom is young, more offensive, less 2way and plays for a great offensive team.
    OH! Why d'ya talked about Schwartz? Now I have to get some smoked meat. Thank God I live 10 minutes from this colesterol Heaven ! Alleluiä...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Schwartz has already surpassed Eriksson in my mind.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for all the comments, gang. I'm with you, there is little doubt right now that Schwartz is playing better and looking better going forward when compared to Loui. Still, I have to expect Loui does better than he's shown this season, and I hate dropping a good player for nothing. There is little to no market for him this summer, I expect. Thus the trying to find a better solution.

As far as goalies, well, I've thought of looking into adding a goalie to the farm next year, but that's always a tricky proposition. Also, many of the good G prospects of a farmable age are already parked on farms: Markstrom, Campbell, Allen, Gibson, Lehner are gone, even some of the farther off ones like Fucale, Subban. Still, something to look into at the draft, there are some options.

That said, as it is only a 16 team league, I've found that the market value for goalies is a little soft, they don't carry quite the value they do in some pools. Of course Rask is worth the Moon to me, but as far as having a decent 2nd, it's doable. Could be more sensible to farm a good forward prospect and then flip him in a package for a goalie down the road if need be. D-men also carry a premium in this league.

Kuznetsov is a nice suggestion too, but he's been parked on a farm since our Innaugural draft. No one as obvious is floating around, I'm afraid.

Thanks for all the comments, good to hear some opinions. And thanks for the props on the team, it's coming along quite nicely. I'm missing a true superstar (although Kessel is making that debatable), but my line-up is very deep and it's competing very well.
    20-Team Keeper League

16-Team Keeper League