Thread: Thanks to Dobber for having us here

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Thanks to Dobber for having us here

Hi Guys,

I'm Bruce Hollingdrake - the owner of The Hockey Writers. I just wanted to take a sec and thank Dobber for having us participate in the forums here. Our group of writers will serve up our articles here for you to comment on, pick apart and criticize - with hopes that some value might be added. We'll also try to dive in to all the other sections and see if we can't add a little something.

So - thanks for having us, and if you ever have any questions about our site, about sports journalism, getting credentialed in the NHL and just about any web publishing or hockey questions - I'll be in here often and always willing to offer my take.
    Founder/Editor-in-Chief of The Hockey Writers

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Thanks to Dobber for having us here

Welcome to dobberhockey!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks but..
    Not sure our group will be staying long. At my age and with all I've done in life - to be called Skippy be a senior guy here. Well, I don't think it's where I want to spending my time.

Dobber Sports Monster

Don't let Mcgoo get to you. He's a good guy overall. The forum as a whole is fantastic. Don't let that turn you off. The group here is very knowledgeable and a bunch of great people. Give it some time to grease the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
    Thanks but..
    Not sure our group will be staying long. At my age and with all I've done in life - to be called Skippy be a senior guy here. Well, I don't think it's where I want to spending my time.

Dobber Sports Sage

LMAO, Mcgoo! Were is the Skippy comment? That is just his way 95% of the people here are cool including Mcgoo must of the time . Hope you stick around! Ypu would be missing out if you left. I frequent a few other fourms and the group here on a whole is the most respectful and knowledgeable around AINEC!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah, don't let McGoo be your barometer for the site. He's a good guy and has a very intelligent mind for fantasy hockey. But he also has no filter and enjoys a good argument (much like myself).

Welcome aboard and as I said in the other thread, I haven't been a fan of your site in the past but I will try to give it another shot. I have came across some good articles on there before, I just didn't care to wade through the duds to get to them. But that comes with growing a site like that. As long as it's showing improvement, then it will be worth checking back in on.

Good luck and welcome to you and all your writers here.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm enjoying the extra debate you have already brought to the forums (I tend to hang-out here rather than go through all the articles, sorry!) In amongst the nonsense that forum debates always bring of course.
    Fantrax 20 Team H2H 14 Keeper Daily
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP SHP Hit Blk FOW W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Steen Horcoff Umberger Brodziak Griffith
    LW Sedin Palat Roussel Tatar Bergenheim Kulemin
    RW Vey Williams Stafford Toffoli Wingels
    D Karlsson Suban Maata Ceci Yandle Streit Hunwick
    G Crawford, Allen, Nabakov

IR Boyle Murray Pirri Chara Merrill

Dobber Sports Deity

I actually enjoy reading various articles from writers about fantasy hockey. I dont always agree with them but its always good to have a different perspective.

To me its no different than having any of our regulars try their hat at the Black Aces.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks guys..

I...am your father.

I think it's going great. If you've been insulted by McGoo and called out by Dakkster, then you've already passed your rite of passage. And to be honest, when I see 20 members either giving you props or promoting actual discussion, versus the one or two giving you a 'hazing', I look at it as a great start.

Also, didn't the moniker 'skippy' originally derive from the name 'Bruce'? I thought that's where it came from
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Newbie

I actually lived in Australia for a while and dated a girl named Sheila while there. Funny reactions to being introduced as Bruce & Sheila.

Hopefully in time the guys will see that the bulk of our content is solid. Sure we need the Sensational type posts once and a while - have to pay the bills - but we do try to publish mostly solid content. And I hand pick all of our writers. I turn down at least 3 or 4 for every one I bring on to the site.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
    Thanks but..
    lmao...so let me get this straight, you're so thin-skinned that not only can you not accept criticism of your articles, but being called 'skippy' makes you wanna pick up your puck and go home? C'mon bub (do you like that one better than 'skippy'? ), you're not going to last long in the big bad world with that attitude!

All joking aside, I truly do apologize for ripping on you guys right off the bat, in my defense I had not seen this welcome post and was 100% convinced that you guys were just spam (we get that from time to time here, guys from other fantasy sites trying to steal traffic, etc...usually the mods clean it up but some will slip thru). Blame that on the sensationalist titles to the articles you chose ('clickbait' as Dakkster so aptly dubbed it). You claim to have some great articles mixed in with some duds, so lets have the A game now, spare us the Fox News stuff and give us something of substance and quality to debate and you'll get a spirited debate.