Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Eric Staal ?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Arrow Whatever happened to Eric Staal ?

How can a former superstar like Eric Staal become a dog's breakfast so quickly. He once was one of my favourite players. Tonight he has only one shot and is a minus three. This is normal for him this year. Has he lost the desire to play ?
    Or is he playing hurt ? Or is he just not that good ?
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

The Great One

Default Re: Whatever happened to Eric Staal ?

He is a 70 point guy in fantasy hockey that managed to hit 100 points after the '2000s' lockout. He gets so much name value it's amazing at the return you can get in some leagues regarding Eric Staal.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think the problems go beyond the player this year. So many guys on that team have underachieved offensively this year. Semin, both Staals, Tlusty, Ruutu, etc.

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with Ed, rough season all around in Carolina. He has been disappointing though.

Mr.Guru: I don't think anyone is expecting 100 points from him, but he was on pace for 92 last year. I think realistically 70 is his floor most seasons, with room for a little more upside in a good year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    I think the problems go beyond the player this year. So many guys on that team have underachieved offensively this year. Semin, both Staals, Tlusty, Ruutu, etc.
    Pretty much my thoughts here. The whole team hasn't put up much for offense.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The scary thing for me is the declining shot totals. I believe he's entering into his fourth consecutive year of decline. To me that could mean one of two things, he is allowing line mates to shoot more often, working as a playmaker. Or, and this is the bad part, he is physically declining and incapable of getting to the parts of the ice necessary to shoot.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Stud

He hasn't been the same since Edler took his knee out. That whole team has sucked ass this year (Sekera has been the lone bright spot).
    F-Jarvis,Aho,Mittlestadt,Byfield,Berggren,Brink,Chyt il,Dach,Kakko,Kaliyev,
    Cooley,Newhook,Macelli,Marchenko,Meier,Michkov,Per fetti,Reichel,Stankoven

D-Bean,Hutson,Mateychuk,Mintyukov,Seider,Addison,Kor chinski

G-Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal,Knight,Taras ov

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=2pts,T=1,SO=1,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

The Great One

Forgot about that knee on knee

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think he's a great buy-low for keeper leagues. Other than this year, Staal's been a very consistent 70+ point player that puts up huge sog totals. He's not a 100 point player and never will be again, but he has to potential to provide excellent value for those looking to buy low....the price is much lower on him than on other 70+ point guys.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Legend

E.Staal is a notoriously slow start but usually finishes hot - this year though, he hasn't gotten hot. That said, the Canes are a fantasy mess and I suspect Staal is still a 70-80 point player moving forward.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    E.Staal is a notoriously slow start but usually finishes hot - this year though, he hasn't gotten hot. That said, the Canes are a fantasy mess and I suspect Staal is still a 70-80 point player moving forward.
    This ^^^^^^^^^ and expect him to finish the season at a .9-1.0/game clip. Perhaps disappointed this year due to the Olympic snub and the Canes not contending for the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Needs to click with Semin or Skinner for close to an entire season to get back to 80. Hasn't happened consistently this year.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Icon

Watched someone trade him for Getzlaf in one of my leagues this year. He must be kicking himself now.

Staal usually turns it up in the second half but still not seeing it
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I believe him being a second-half player is a bit of a myth. Last year, he had 30 points in the first 24 games, and 23 in the last 24. In the three previous years before that, he had one season where he was a much better second half guy. So in the last five years (including this one), he's had one season where his second half was a lot better than his first half.

I think he had a couple of seasons where he had a great second half, and now everyone expects that to happen all the time.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Watched someone trade him for Getzlaf in one of my leagues this year. He must be kicking himself now.
    You mean in our league where I traded Getzlaf for him?