14 29.79%
  • Giroux

33 70.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Giroux vs. Hall

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Giroux vs. Hall

Count me among the Giroux supporters.

I informally proposed a Hall+ swap for Giroux to the owner of Giroux. He sounded interested.
    What do people think about Hall + Pominville/pick for Giroux?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Banned

this is very much a bird in the hand vs two in the bush question...both guys are ppg this year, the big difference is that Giroux has hit 93 while Hall has yet to even break 65.
    Hall is a sick talent to be sure but he often tries to do 'too much', if he can solve that problem and EDM can become a decent team he'll be a perennial stud with higher upside than Giroux, but that's a lot of ifs...who you prefer in this equation boils down more to your gm style than anything...are you a risk taker or a planner?

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Hall may end up with the higher ceiling, but currently Giroux is a notch above. His age has more to do with it, but it is very close. Tough to choose, but I voted Giroux, Ask again next year and I may say Hall. A luxury to have both
    F-Crosby,Jarvis,Wheeler,Horvat,Mittlestadt,Landeskog ,
    Cooley,Newhook,JT.Miller,Vrana,Bjorkstrand,Connor,
    Greenway, Aho

D-Carlson,Hedman,Pulock,Pionk,
    Klingberg,Addisson,Forsling,Korchinski

G-Hellebuyck,Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=1pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=3pts,T=1,SO=2,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    this is very much a bird in the hand vs two in the bush question...both guys are ppg this year, the big difference is that Giroux has hit 93 while Hall has yet to even break 65.
    Hall is a sick talent to be sure but he often tries to do 'too much', if he can solve that problem and EDM can become a decent team he'll be a perennial stud with higher upside than Giroux, but that's a lot of ifs...who you prefer in this equation boils down more to your gm style than anything...are you a risk taker or a planner?
    I think I'm more of a planner. I just worry about Hall's health, and I still think Giroux has higher upside than Hall. It's close though. I'd prefer the safer bet in Giroux who most people had somewhere from 6-10 in their overall rankings before the season.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Really the only significant difference in my league between the 2 are PPP and +/-, which for me gives the edge to Hall. He is producing at the same PPG pace as Giroux with basically an abysmal PP. So does a (theoretically) improving PP in Edmonton mean more overall points or same # of points with a higher % of PPP? I would argue based on his talent it would speak to a higher # of points. I think the combo of RNH-Hall-Schultz just need more time to really become a dominant PP trio with two other Oiler's added in ala Crosby-Malkin-Letang. NO I am not comparing the skill level or play style or anything else. I just think you could put pretty much any other 2 players with those Pitt three and it would still be a great PP.

I think eventually the Edmonton trio will be similar, Pittsburgh-lite so to speak. Which IMO will bump up Hall's point totals and give him the edge. Value-wise however, Giroux has infinitely more than Hall. If I was deciding between the two of them who to trade, it would be Giroux for sure because I think you'd receive a much better package back and the downgrade from Giroux to Hall isn't huge.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well, the gap has started to close as more people weight in. Have to say, as a Hall owner, this is very encouraging. I can't believe how little other managers think of him in my league, maybe it's because all the other managers live out east and never watch Hall play. I think they just judge him based on how terrible the Oilers are and they avoid him. I will be really interesting to return to this discussion in a year or two and re-evaluate.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    I think I'm more of a planner. I just worry about Hall's health, and I still think Giroux has higher upside than Hall. It's close though. I'd prefer the safer bet in Giroux who most people had somewhere from 6-10 in their overall rankings before the season.
    as am I most of the time, nothing wrong with that at all...it takes a special player for me to gamble on when it is otherwise so close (because lets be honest here, long term they're both ppg+ players more often than not)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just an interesting fact that they flashed during the Flyers-Pens games today.....since the middle of December (the 10th or 11th I think, but don't quote me on that), Giroux had 1 more point than Crosby before today's game. After another 2 points today, that makes 3 points more than Crosby. Pretty damn impressive IMO. Hall has been extremely consistent and steady this season on a bad team, but I'm not sure he has the ability (yet) to go on these extended multi-point tears like Giroux can.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Monster

While we're assessing Giroux, how much better is Giroux than Toews? I just acquired him and feel I have the assets to make a move for Giroux. Or does anyone prefer Toews? I'm guessing most will prefer G, but T is steady and you gotta love that situation in Chicago.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    While we're assessing Giroux, how much better is Giroux than Toews? I just acquired him and feel I have the assets to make a move for Giroux. Or does anyone prefer Toews? I'm guessing most will prefer G, but T is steady and you gotta love that situation in Chicago.
    Please don't hijack this thread, this is for an ongoing discussion about Hall vs. Giroux. Thanks

Dobber Sports Pro

Outside of Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Ovechkin and Stamkos, for my money the next best forward to own in any keeper league format is still Claude Giroux.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Outside of Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Ovechkin and Stamkos, for my money the next best forward to own in any keeper league format is still Claude Giroux.
    Snagged him at 12th overall in a brand new keeper just starting this year ... how does that even happen? For my money, I couldn't have done better if I had the 6th pick.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Don't see how Hall is comparable to Giroux. He hasn't even put in a full season. He still needs to build his resume. Girouc has a much more defined track record. As of now, I can't even compare Hall to Seguin.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hall over Giroux and Seguin IMO. Seguin is way to hot and cold and to the point of this Thread, Once the Oil get that freight train rolling, Hall has more individual talent, can generate far more excitement and has far more kinetic energy with the talent surrounding him than Giroux does. Close but give me the LW'r.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The gap is widening again, with people preferring Giroux over Hall 2:1