Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Alex Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Alex Ovechkin

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    It's because he doesn't actually try to play defense. Whenever the puck goes the other way he just floats along until his team gets the puck again or they get scored against.
    Not sure what his shift length is at this year. I've always thought it would be nice to lessen his shifts so he could go at higher pace in both ends.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Not sure what his shift length is at this year. I've always thought it would be nice to lessen his shifts so he could go at higher pace in both ends.
    The coaches want him to skate shorter shifts but he refuses to.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    The coaches want him to skate shorter shifts but he refuses to.
    "But Coach ... Russian machine never break."
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I always find it fascinating how mindbogglingly stupid some people are. It's this simple: This is a TEAM sport. Blaming an INDIVIDUAL for not winning a TEAM award is asinine at best. Saying that the best goalscorer of his generation is bad because he hasn't won a team award is so goddamn idiotic I don't even know where to begin. He has won plenty of individual awards. More than most, actually. If you're going to fault anyone, blame the Washington Capitals' management who keep putting subpar supporting players around Ovy.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Giant

I think people just enjoy making fun of a guy like OV. Simple as that. When we can find fault in someone so prominent and skilled, it helps us accept ourselves as faulted human beings as well. If OV is faulted, it makes it easier to accept our own faults. Classic hero worship / scapegoating cycle.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Th sport is about winning. If you haven't won a thing in your whole career even in peewee lake spezza, then you're not very good.
    But he has. He has won a WJC. I guess that makes him 'good'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    But he has. He has won a WJC. I guess that makes him 'good'.
    exactly I was just bashing spezza. I don't agree hat saying ovechkin is bad because he hasn't won anything important yet in professional hockey but I do think he will never win a cup.

Dobber Sports Wizard

people have been critical of certain aspects of his game and his personality and none of those criticisms are untrue or unwarranted

i know i never said the guy was bad

there are an awful lot of strawmen getting their asses kicked around here because people refuse to admit this player has shortcomings so they are painting others arguments as something other than what they are

he isn't the only one who has them but that doesn't mean they don't exist

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

exactly I was just bashing spezza. I don't agree hat saying ovechkin is bad because he hasn't won anything important yet in professional hockey but I do think he will never win a cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev
    Th sport is about winning. If you haven't won a thing in your whole career even in peewee lake spezza, then you're not very good.
    Disagreeing with yourself within a handful of posts. Impressive feat.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Disagreeing with yourself within a handful of posts. Impressive feat.
    I should have clarified. That was not my opinion, that's what people perceive you as being, like dan Marino.its not fair, but if you also have played 20 years and have never one a cup, wc, we, ohl championship, when you are the centrepiece of your teams is kind of telling,

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    people have been critical of certain aspects of his game and his personality and none of those criticisms are untrue or unwarranted

i know i never said the guy was bad

there are an awful lot of strawmen getting their asses kicked around here because people refuse to admit this player has shortcomings so they are painting others arguments as something other than what they are

he isn't the only one who has them but that doesn't mean they don't exist

Is this not the scare crow calling..... You guys have 0 argument what so ever. They entire argument against him is that he has a bad +\- 1 year in his career and that he is not a "WINNER" Best post ever!!!

1st it was stated that he was dependent on the PP score now. Proven false 3 in league in G/60 at even strength. Then it was stated that he can't score in the playoffs proven false by his 5th ranking on the active PPG list in the NHL. It doesn't matter about the SSS of last year. Over a long SS he is 5th. Now the only remaining arguement is that he is not a "Winner" because he hasn't won a cup. Which in it's self is an silly argument in a TEAM sport. There are over 400 players in the league with 0 cups and probably about 25 Captains.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Is this not the scare crow calling..... You guys have 0 argument what so ever. They entire argument against him is that he has a bad +\- 1 year in his career and that he is not a "WINNER" Best post ever!!!

1st it was stated that he was dependent on the PP score now. Proven false 3 in league in G/60 at even strength. Then it was stated that he can't score in the playoffs proven false by his 5th ranking on the active PPG list in the NHL. It doesn't matter about the SSS of last year. Over a long SS he is 5th. Now the only remaining arguement is that he is not a "Winner" because he hasn't won a cup. Which in it's self is an silly argument in a TEAM sport. There are over 400 players in the league with 0 cups and probably about 25 Captains.
    The dude has 44 goals. Any way you slice it that plus minus is awful. He is on the ice for goals against a ridiculous amount of time.

dont look at stats, watch the guy play. He is virtually useless outside of the pp and is easily defendable.

He has 9 even strength assists if yo really want to play the stats game.

Please tell me his Corsi though.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    i really don't have any idea what you are talking about to be honest because you obviously haven't read my posts or you feel the need to once again misrepresent my posts

the only argument i have made is that nothing you have put forth proves him to be a winner, i made absolutely no arguments against him in this thread at all

and actually he has two bad +/- years if we are supposed to be keeping this fact based

once again you have proven nothing regarding his scoring in the playoffs you keep ignoring the fact that his playoff scoring has declined every season for the past several seasons and the people who are ranked 6th-8th in the active ppg list making that argument meaningless, i don't know why you keep on ignoring facts while accusing others of doing the same thing, you are being dishonest with your statistics

who cares if there are 400 players without cups in the league that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't proven to be a winner at this level, if you want to make threads about all of those players be my guest i certainly will not stop you nor will i accuse you of being dishonest if you point out the fact that they have not been winner's at this level, because it is the truth

my issues with what you have posted is your taking exception to him being labeled not a winner and your use of his playoff stats while completely ignoring the trend or what other players are right around his playoff ppg, so instead you accuse me of saying things i have not said

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Sage

The dude has 44 goals. Any way you slice it that plus minus is awful. He is on the ice for goals against a ridiculous amount of time.

dont look at stats, watch the guy play. He is virtually useless outside of the pp and is easily dependable.

He has 9 even strength assists if yo really want to play the stats game.

Please tell me his Corsi though.
    He is third in the league in G/60 at even strength. Yes completely useless at even strength and the reason his assists are down is because his line mates S% is ridiculous low. I have watched him play about 20 times this year tyvm and while he is no dynamo in his own end he is absolutely relentless in pursing the puck in both the opponents end and the neutral zone. It's a little hard to play 25min a night as one of the most physical defenders in the league and score 11 more goals than anyone and be a defensive presence in your own zone.

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i really don't have any idea what you are talking about to be honest because you obviously haven't read my posts or you feel the need to once again misrepresent my posts

the only argument i have made is that nothing you have put forth proves him to be a winner, i made absolutely no arguments against him in this thread at all

and actually he has two bad +/- years if we are supposed to be keeping this fact based

He had a year that was minus 8 I did not include that as it is not terrible bad! So your stretching your facts

once again you have proven nothing regarding his scoring in the playoffs you keep ignoring the fact that his playoff scoring has declined every season for the past several seasons and the people who are ranked 6th-8th in the active ppg list making that argument meaningless, i don't know why you keep on ignoring facts while accusing others of doing the same thing, you are being dishonest with your statistics

I have proved everything and you have proved nothing. Your using a 1 year SS I'm using his career. Is this serious. The people ranked 6-8 who have played the required amount of games are Jagr, Brier and Kane. So what is your point. One of them is in the top 20 players in the history of the game. A player who is know for being a playoff performer and one of the best players in the game

who cares if there are 400 players without cups in the league that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't proven to be a winner at this level, if you want to make threads about all of those players be my guest i certainly will not stop you nor will i accuse you of being dishonest if you point out the fact that they have not been winner's at this level, because it is the truth

my issues with what you have posted is your taking exception to him being labeled not a winner and your use of his playoff stats while completely ignoring the trend or what other players are right around his playoff ppg, so instead you accuse me of saying things i have not said

Last part is taken care of.

grammar Nazi
    Noun