Thread: Well made two trades - looking for thoughts

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Well made two trades - looking for thoughts

These trades were all for keepers next year. I am on the verge of the playoffs (7/10), but Tavares injury put the nail in my team's coffin this year. Both of my skating keepers had season ending injuries, combined with the disappointing Sedins, combined with goalie injuries really left my team wanting. :-(

I gave up Crawford/Okposo and got Tukka Rask/Teddy Purcell.

I gave up Alex Pietrangelo/Henrik Sedin/Daniel Sedin to get Patrick Sharp/Nathan Horton/Derek Roy.

I drafted both Sedins and expected them to be much better this year than they have been. I knew I would have to drop Tavares this year (hit the maximum allowable keeps) and expected one or both of the Sedins to be my skating keepers. Their lackluster play this year including the Olympics really scared me and convinced me I needed to make a move. I tried to trade for the best of the best Malkin/Crosby/etc..., but I couldn't get any interest no matter what I included. :-(

My keepers will now be Patrick Sharp/Matt Duchene/Tukka Rask. I have definitely improved my keepers for next year. I got the best goalie in the world (IMO) who has one of the best situations (team, backup, starts, shot against, etc....) in the league. I also have two great up and coming players who have never been kept before so I can keep them for the maximum allowed (3 years) unless I can get a better player early in the draft next year.

Thoughts?

PS - I still have a very outside chance at the playoffs this year (only 15 points behind the 6th place team), but really doubt it will happen since I really have very little scoring punch anymore. If my goalies stand on their heads and I get PIMs, shots and +/- then there is a slim possibility.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Well made two trades - looking for thoughts

like the first one, loathe the second one

Patrick Sharp is not a keeper in a 10x3 imo

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    like the first one, loathe the second one

Patrick Sharp is not a keeper in a 10x3 imo
    Yup - that is my concern too. I was running up against the trade deadline and wasn't making any progress on any of the top 7/8 players in the league. Sharp was the best I could do and really hope he will outperform the Sedins next year. It seems like Vancouver is imploding.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Giant

A Tale of Two Trades ...

"It was the best of trades (1st), it was the worst of trades (2nd), it was a trade of wisdom, it was a trade of foolishness, it was a trade of belief, it was a trade of incredulity, it was a trade of Light, it was a trade of Darkness, it was a trade in the spring of hope, it was a trade in the winter of despair, you had everything before you, you had nothing before you, you were going direct to Heaven, you were going direct the other way--in short, the trade was so far like the present trades, that some of its noisiest authorities (TSN, NHLN, NBCSN) insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    A Tale of Two Trades ...

"It was the best of trades (1st), it was the worst of trades (2nd), it was a trade of wisdom, it was a trade of foolishness, it was a trade of belief, it was a trade of incredulity, it was a trade of Light, it was a trade of Darkness, it was a trade in the spring of hope, it was a trade in the winter of despair, you had everything before you, you had nothing before you, you were going direct to Heaven, you were going direct the other way--in short, the trade was so far like the present trades, that some of its noisiest authorities (TSN, NHLN, NBCSN) insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
    Enjoyed that

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    Enjoyed that
    In all seriousness, I understand why you made the second trade, I just think you overpaid to make it happen. Not really a fan of Horton / Derek Roy when you're giving up the Sedins plus Pietrangelo. Seems like you conceded all the progress you made from the first trade. I really like that you sold high on Okposo to get Rask -- and even Purcell, who is underrated and playing with Stamkos. But I think the second trade was kind of a disaster.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    In all seriousness, I understand why you made the second trade, I just think you overpaid to make it happen. Not really a fan of Horton / Derek Roy when you're giving up the Sedins plus Pietrangelo. Seems like you conceded all the progress you made from the first trade. I really like that you sold high on Okposo to get Rask -- and even Purcell, who is underrated and playing with Stamkos. But I think the second trade was kind of a disaster.
    I get it. I was looking for a keeper in the league and took Patrick Sharp + his two worst players to make it happen. Didn't really care who I got back. The only player I regret giving up was AP and I never intended to keep him despite what people here have said. In our league, people don't generally keep defensemen so they are all available during the draft. In fact, the team who is leading the league only had 2 defensemen on his roster - the rest are goalies and forwards.

I more or less packed it in for this year and wanted to make sure I wasn't in a position to be able to keep either Sedins, AP was the cost of doing business.

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    I get it. I was looking for a keeper in the league and took Patrick Sharp + his two worst players to make it happen. Didn't really care who I got back. The only player I regret giving up was AP and I never intended to keep him despite what people here have said. In our league, people don't generally keep defensemen so they are all available during the draft. In fact, the team who is leading the league only had 2 defensemen on his roster - the rest are goalies and forwards.

I more or less packed it in for this year and wanted to make sure I wasn't in a position to be able to keep either Sedins, AP was the cost of doing business.
    the problem is i think that Sharp is probably playing way over his head this season and the Sedins while likely to not be what they were aren't as bad as they have been

realistically speaking i think that a single Sedin for Sharp was at best a lateral move

you could have just as easily kept a Sedin next season and trade the other and AP for draft picks and done much better imo

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    the problem is i think that Sharp is probably playing way over his head this season and the Sedins while likely to not be what they were aren't as bad as they have been

realistically speaking i think that a single Sedin for Sharp was at best a lateral move

you could have just as easily kept a Sedin next season and trade the other and AP for draft picks and done much better imo
    You're probably right - we could sticky this thread to point out to others the dangers of trading while upset at players.

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would almost rather Pieterangelo than Sharp. I'm sure you could have got more draft picks anyway if that's allowed to be traded in your league.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I love the first and hate the second.

I'd much rather own Pietrangelo and the Sedins over Sharp, Horton and Roy. I think you could've moved the Sedins alone for someone of value during the offseason or early next year, especially now that Daniel is out indefinitely.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Woah, boy! Your first trade was fantastic. I love that you were able to bring in Rask; he is fantasy gold! Now the second trade is another story. I think the Sedins will still be productive next year, and AP is a blue-line stud that you might miss. Sharpy is an interesting choice, but he seems so up and down from year-to-year and he's definitely not the youngest guy anymore either.