Thread: Edler almost dealt to the Bruins

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Edler almost dealt to the Bruins

If Kesler was dealt to Pittsburgh, Edler was going to Boston.

According to http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...75K/story.html

Before Thursday’s game against Washington, general manager Peter Chiarelli disclosed on NESN that Philadelphia was assuming half of Andrej Meszaros’s $4 million annual cap hit.

That’s because the Bruins, prior to Wednesday’s 3 p.m. trade deadline, believed they needed the space for another acquisition.

President Cam Neely told 98.5 The Sports Hub the Bruins had a deal in principle for a player with term remaining on his contract. That trade was shelved, Neely said, because another deal did not happen.

According to a team source, the Bruins’ trade fizzled because an expected transaction between Vancouver and Pittsburgh failed to take place.

The Penguins had been pursuing Ryan Kesler. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Penguins were offering Brandon Sutter, first- and third-round picks, and a defensive prospect.

Once the Canucks moved Kesler to Pittsburgh, they would have proceeded with their trade with the Bruins. The Bruins’ target could not be confirmed. But it’s likely they were targeting smooth-moving left-shot defenseman Alex Edler.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Edler almost dealt to the Bruins

Wow. That would've been a complete overhaul.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, I'm guessing talks between Pittsburgh and Vancouver broke down when Gillis insisted on getting Pouliot as the defensive prospect in return. Shero was definitely going for the Sutter + 1st and 3rd + Dumoulin / Despres / Harrington approach; however, it seems Gillis was obstinate about receiving Pouliot instead.

Too bad, that would've been awesome for the Penguins and Bruins ultimately. More fodder for the eventual East Finals everyone is already predicting.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Star

im guessing the defensive prospect wasnt pouliot otherwise the kesler deal probably wouldve gotten done lol.

i wonder what was offered for edler, i assume dougie hamilton and picks/other good prospects would be involved
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    im guessing the defensive prospect wasnt pouliot otherwise the kesler deal probably wouldve gotten done lol.

i wonder what was offered for edler, i assume dougie hamilton and picks/other good prospects would be involved
    Yeah, Shero is not going to trade Pouliot. Gillis insisted. Talks broke down. I would bet a considerable amount of $$ that Pouliot is the reason why none of this happened.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Star

although i understand why pittsburgh wouldnt want to overpay, if you do overpay its for a guy like kesler cause he will easily make a difference in a playoff run (and for the next 2 seasons).

edler has fallen out of favor here so i can see why they would explore a trade. this is assuming edler is willing to waive his NTC tho
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    although i understand why pittsburgh wouldnt want to overpay, if you do overpay its for a guy like kesler cause he will easily make a difference in a playoff run (and for the next 2 seasons).

edler has fallen out of favor here so i can see why they would explore a trade. this is assuming edler is willing to waive his NTC tho
    IMO, Brandon Sutter + two good draft picks + Despres / Dumoulin / Harrington is a lot to give up from an organization standpoint; but it's clear that Gillis wanted more out of the D prospect being sent back. Shero looks at Pouliot, especially given the weird "stroke" situation with Letang, as a guy who isn't expendable right now because of his long-term upside, and I think he was smart to refuse Pouliot.

At the same time, I think Gillis was smart to insist on Pouliot. Despres / Dumoulin / Harrington are going to be solid "shutdown" type guys long-term, and although some people really like Despres' offensive upside, I just don't see it materializing in this lineup. Perhaps Gillis agrees with me, and wasn't sold on Despres either. Ultimately, I think that both teams had very good reasons for avoiding the proposed deals of the other GM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Yeah, I'm guessing talks between Pittsburgh and Vancouver broke down when Gillis insisted on getting Pouliot as the defensive prospect in return. Shero was definitely going for the Sutter + 1st and 3rd + Dumoulin / Despres / Harrington approach; however, it seems Gillis was obstinate about receiving Pouliot instead.

Too bad, that would've been awesome for the Penguins and Bruins ultimately. More fodder for the eventual East Finals everyone is already predicting.
    I thought the rumours were that Canucks ownership stepped in and blocked the Kesler deal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Would you really let a prospect like Pouliot get in the way of you landing Kesler?

Dobber Sports Stud

Edler. Boston dodged a bullet.
    F-Crosby,Jarvis,Wheeler,Horvat,Mittlestadt,Landeskog ,
    Cooley,Newhook,JT.Miller,Vrana,Bjorkstrand,Connor,
    Greenway, Aho

D-Carlson,Hedman,Pulock,Pionk,
    Klingberg,Addisson,Forsling,Korchinski

G-Hellebuyck,Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=1pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=3pts,T=1,SO=2,G,A=1 (3 count)