Thread: Off-season Strategy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Off-season Strategy

I'm getting a little ahead of my self as I'm in a dogfight for 1st. Still I'm trying to get a handle on my strategy for this coming off-season. It's a 30 team dynasty league with a salary cap.

This is what I'm thinking for next year.

Forwards: Malkin, Tavares, Seguin, Kadri, Mi Granlund, Scheifele, Coyle, Calvert, Dw King, Beleskey, Z Smith, Mi Santorelli
    Defense: Byfuglien, Yandle, Hedman, Shattenkirk, Barrie, Gardiner
    Goalie: Holtby

Bench (up to 11 bench spots): Br. Flynn (F), Radulov (F), Br Smith (D), Bartkowski (D), Borowiecki (D), Markstrom (G)

Trade: Horton, Ribeiro, Peverley and Mike Smith

Notable Prospects:
    Forwards: B Gaunce, Athanasiou, Barber, Gusev, L Leblanc, Pageau, Tvrdon, Matt Peca
    Defense: Clendening, Kichton, Ebert
    Goalies: Gillies, Gustafsson, Visentin

Significant draft picks: late 2014 2nd, early 2015 1st, late 2015 1st, early 2015 2nd and late 2015 2nd (If I finish 1st I get 2 picks, 1 between the 1st and 2nd round & 1 between the 2nd and 3rd rounds)

This would leave me with over 13 million in cap space (assuming a 68m cap) with 5 free agents (King, Santorelli, Barrie, Gardiner, Bartkowski) and by moving Horton, Ribeiro and Smith I can restock the cupboards with young pros and high draft picks. I've carried Holtby and Markstrom as my goalies for most of the year and only acquired Mike Smith when Halak was traded to Washington.

Thoughts?

I...am your father.

Default Re: Off-season Strategy

This is something I'll be doing as well, maybe on Sunday? I need to get my keepers straight as it's easier to trade now than it is in the offseason.

You keep everyone, as long as you stay under the cap? Can you afford to trade Mike Smith? To me that's way too light between the pipes. I always take care of my goaltending firsts
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Really impressed that you were able to land all 3 of Malkin, Seguin and Tavares in a 30 team league. That said, I agree with Dobber that you may need to divest yourself of some forward/D talent to shore up that goaltending. Holtby is a big risk for next year.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Initiate

Wow - your league is way too deep and complex for me to help you at all.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Padawan

We can keep everyone. We can go over the cap during the offseason as long as we're under the cap to start the season. I took on extra salary during this season when Tavares got injured.

I don't need to move Smith but I don't want to keep him as I don't think he's work his 6m salary next season. With my 5 FA's, I'm budgeting for an average of 1.4m per FA, I think Mike Smith would eat up the bulk of my cap space. I prefer to put large amounts of salary into my skaters. This strategy allowed me to run most of this year with a lot of depth and more or less accommodate for injuries. I'm only worried about running with Holtby next season if Halak resigns in Washington. I have an opportunity to basically trade B Gaunce, Peverley, Radulov and Markstrom for Kuemper and Erat. But it's another young who is far from guaranteed to start next year.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think you should move one of your top 4 D-men instead. A top 4 of Buff, Yandle, Shatt, Hedman are probably top of the league in a 30 team league. Barrie, Gardiner, Smith, and Clendenning are all solid up and comers with good fantasy upside too.

If you are so worried about Holtby, then I'd hold Smith until Washington has sorted it's goaltending situation out. Halak resigned, see if you can trade Smith for Halak or send Holtby to Halak's owner for something else. Or just keep them both, I mean Smith (5mil)+Holtby(2mil) is not that bad of a cap hit compared to Rask, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, etc alone, and their owners are spending all that cap and they don't get any injury insurance or off night usage out of those guys.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I tried to trade Yandle this year but didnt like the market. His horrible +/- has really lowered his value in the league. It's also debatable whether I have the best d. 1 guy has karlsson, subban and OEL while another has Chara, bieksa, franson, niskanen and krug. The player I most excited for next year is borowiecki, in this league during his brief stint with the senators he scored better than yandle has averaged for the year, largely due to yandle's +/-.

My plan of attack is try and get a 1st, a prospect and a cheap forward for smith. Horton and ribeiro I'd hope to package as a significant boost to a middling team and get another 1st, a high end prospect and 2 more cheap forwards. Peverley is worth a pick, maybe a 3rd.

Does anyone think Kuemper is the starter in Minnesota next year?

Dobber Sports Stud

So 3 teams in your league are holding all the chips on D. You're still ahead of 27 others.

Goaltending is a far more fickle position than any other in the league and trading Smith is a dangerous game for you. Just saying that the risk is you end up pulling a Vancouver and go from two starters to zilch
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Star

I'd be wary of trading away Smith too. I would imagine a decent goalie is hard to come by in a 30 team league. I'd rather hold him for trade value during the season when teams need and are desperate for a goalie due to injuries or bad performance. I would imagine his value would be much higher in-season than it is off-season, no? I never played in a league that large so take it for what it's worth.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko