Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver......wow

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Vancouver......wow

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I'm pretty sure after a whackload of anecdotal evidence from the players that played for him and the way he's worn out his welcome with the cities he coached in, I think it's fair to state what I did. At minimum, you have to agree that Vigneault and Tortorella, being outstandingly different personalities, cannot divest themselves completely of such when in the room with the players. i.e., how can one say that Tortorella is a kind, compassionate and mild-mannered, soft-spoken man in the room, but is Torts with pretty well everyone else?.. I'm pretty sure Lundqvist and the gang in NYR didn't throw him a going away party when he left (and sure as hell threw one after he did).

No, I am not an NHL player. I have not played for either coach. I never will. But I have observed and read and have drawn conclusions from this that I believe while likely not 100% accurate, are rather closer to the truth than further from it.

Tortorella was not the fit for this team and the proof is in the pudding... Gillis ain't making things better and I don't know what conversations took place between he and Aquilini... but if Aquilini told me to fire my coach and hire Torts, I'd warn him about what he was about to do.

Or am I wrong and things are just peachy there in VAN and no one has asked to be traded from this once contender and they are leading the division and playing seamless hockey...?
    I'm not saying your wrong, I just think it's bad to make assumptions about people based on how the media portrays them. Sure Torts has a temper at the very least, and he outwardly hates the concept of media and interviews, but I gaurantee we don't get the full picture of what these people are like in the dressing room or otherwise.

He is very capable of being a "kind, compassionate and mild-mannered, soft-spoken man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2aXLNnpNo

I don't buy for a second that the charicature versions of people we see on TV are anywhere close to reality...

I...am your father.

I think you'll find that Tortorella's effectiveness will lessen with each team he coaches. You saw it with Mike Keenan. The hardasses really do well with the first team and pretty good with the second team. But then their reputation catches up, the players don't take them as seriously when they put on their tough guy act, and it just doesn't have the effect. By the time he's coaching his fifth team, he won't last six months.
    My theory

Dobber for GM!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I think you'll find that Tortorella's effectiveness will lessen with each team he coaches. You saw it with Mike Keenan. The hardasses really do well with the first team and pretty good with the second team. But then their reputation catches up, the players don't take them as seriously when they put on their tough guy act, and it just doesn't have the effect. By the time he's coaching his fifth team, he won't last six months.
    My theory

Dobber for GM!
    You've got my vote!

Fully agree with Dobber here. In fact, unless some miracle occurs and Torts stays on and rights the ship, I think this could be Tort's last NHL gig and he could be joining Keenan in Russia soon enough.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I just think it's bad to make assumptions about people based on how the media portrays them.

I don't buy for a second that the charicature versions of people we see on TV are anywhere close to reality...
    I agree with you. However at this point, after so many years, I don't think it's much of an assumption anymore. The body of work starts to speak for itself. Like Mcgoo and Dobber said, at first it has an effect, but the act looks tired and I don't think any players have bought into him since well before the end of his tenure in NY.

It is only my opinion in the end, but I don't think it's that much of an uninformed one. Torts has got to change his mantra if he wants to survive in the NHL. To some extent Hitchcock did and it's serving him well. I am never for one to lose his job, so I hope Tortorella gets the call out from someone to reshape his tactics or it ain't gonna be long....

If he didn't have a 4 year deal, he might already be gone.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Icon

The Canucks biggest problem is a lack of leadership on all levels, they need to bring back the best leader to ever grace their franchise with his presence

Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    The Canucks biggest problem is a lack of leadership on all levels, they need to bring back the best leader to ever grace their franchise with his presence
    Amazing. I will never forget that stint for Messier.. His stint with Lays was much better and more effective.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Now that's just a low blow... I'd expect better from a Bruins fan
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Now that's just a low blow... I'd expect better from a Bruins fan
    It may be a little harsh, but I realized I hadn't trolled a Nucks fan in months. Given the Canucks current state, I'm surprised that my head hadn't exploded and rained down diving/poor management/tire pumping jokes on everyone.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Wizard

It may be a little harsh, but I realized I hadn't trolled a Nucks fan in months. Given the Canucks current state, I'm surprised that my head hadn't exploded and rained down diving/poor management/tire pumping jokes on everyone.
    I know how you feel, it's been really hard to not just unleash.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Man, I hope the Jets fans come up with a funny chant to mock the Canucks tonight.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Man, I hope the Jets fans come up with a funny chant to mock the Canucks tonight.
    Who'd have thought they would become the superior franchise in such short order? I have more faith in the Jets' playoff hopes than I do the 'Nucks. So broken, that squad.

They really do look like the Caps of a few seasons ago.. Hard to watch the train wreck as it's happening.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Oh I totally get that, but Messier?

Sheesh, why not kill a baby Orca while your at it!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ace

Gahhhhhh.... I don't like being on this end of things...

I'm holding out hope that we will be back in contention in two years.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Oh I totally get that, but Messier?

Sheesh, why not kill a baby Orca while your at it!
    Well, I guess he wanted to see how DGB's assertion would be.

The Legacy: Seriously, tell the next Canucks fan you see that you think Mark Messier was a better leader than Trevor Linden. You’ll be on fire before you hit the floor.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Gahhhhhh.... I don't like being on this end of things...

I'm holding out hope that we will be back in contention in two years.
    Wow, those are some rosy glasses you are wearing! How in the heck could this team be in contention in 2 years? The Sedins will be even older and less effective, Kessler will be gone, and their goaltending will still have been decimated for zero return. Sorry to break the news to ya buddy, but the window to contend or win in the near future has been slammed shut. Have a look at that division, there is zero chance Vancouver can match up against SJ, LA, ANA......there's no way they even finish top 3 in their division in the next 2 years, never-mind contend. Honestly, in 2 years, I think the Oliers will start finishing ahead of Vancouver in the standings, with Van and Calgary rounding out the bottom of the division for years to come.

Vancouver has next to nothing of value coming up in the system to replace their aging and/or jaded stars that want out. FA crop is extremely weak this year, and the best ones available are not going to want any part of that dysfunctional gong-show. Gilles has already repeatedly demonstrated that he is completely incompetent in the art of trading. Stick a fork in 'em, the Nucks are not contenders anytime soon.