Thread: Conacher played while on waivers. How?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Conacher played while on waivers. How?

I saw Bruce Garrioch tweet earlier today that Conacher could play while on waivers, and Conacher wound up doing just that. I've obviously misunderstood the concept of waiving all these years. I assumed it meant that the team was waiving their rights to the player. I can think of many examples of players who clear waivers but are neither claimed nor re-assigned, ultimately resuming play per the status quo; but I cannot think of another example of a player having continued to play while still being subject to waivers. Can someone explain waivers to me? What are the rules on this?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Conacher played while on waivers. How?

Having to clear waivers just gives all other teams an opportunity to claim the rights of said player before a team can send him to the AHL or terminate his contract. Said player still belongs to their team until the are claimed. It doesn't really change anything normally players on waivers don't play because they are not needed by their team, but it's not against the rules for them to play.

Dobber Sports Deity

Even after he clears waivers (assuming he does), the team isn't forced to send them down to the minors right away. However, once the player has played ten games or spent thirty days on an NHL roster, the waivers expire and the player will have to clear again before being sent down.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

It's very uncommon, but it's legit. As rataylor pointed out, usually when a player is placed on waivers, it's because he is not needed (at least at that moment). Therefore, you will rarely see anyone in this situation playing for his NHL team. I think this was an attempt to clear up some room for a move that did not happen.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Banned

They're going to add a forward today. They are giving Buffalo a freebie here.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I kind of understood the gist of it already but was struggling with the rule itself. Can anyone point me to where I would find it? I think that I might be hung up on the word "waive". I tend to think of waiving a legal right as precluding you from exercising that right. Obviously that's not how it works with waivers in the NHL though...

Dobber Sports Deity

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."