14 53.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yakupov vs Nichuskin ***REP GIVEN***

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Yakupov vs Nichuskin ***REP GIVEN***

Very well put ccsitdown!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like both. Edmonton is a disaster but eventually with ice time and playing on the first line yakupov will be a star.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Totally agree with ds760. The correct answer is get them both if you can. If Yak sucks this year, then you might be able to buy him a bit cheaper and sit on both of them to see what happens later.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Sage

ccsitdowns post is close to perfect. It is beyond absurd to call the first overall pick from a year ago a bust and to compare him to some other busts from 15 years ago. There is no intellectual arguement for it. It is close but I'll go with the guy who was the overwhelming consensus number 1 just a year and a half ago.! Scout's get paid and we don't for a reason.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Nichushkin for me. Not a knock on Yak, but an easy decision for me.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Nichushkin for me but it's close
    agreed...Nich for me
    12 team points league 18 keepers G, A, , PPP, SOG, HITS, BLOCKS, FOW, W, GA, SV, SV%, SO

C... Bergeron,Toews, Zetterberg, Pavalski, Hanzel, and Dano
    LW..Neal, Abdelkader, Belesky, Teravainen
    RW...Kane, Stone, Stenpniak, Oshie
    D...Josi, Lindholm, Goligoski,Niskanen, Dumba, Chara, Russel
    G...Bob, Pavelec, and Talbot

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Nichushkin for me. Not a knock on Yak, but an easy decision for me.
    This seems a little over the top for me. Nichuskin is on pace to finish with the almost the same number of points in 79 games (he's missed three) that Yakupov finished with in 48 games last season, seeing much more consistent top line minutes. Yak spent the majority of last season the third line, seeing some second line, never seeing first line. Nichuskin is on pace for 38 points in 79 games. Yak scored 31 in 48. There should be no scope where this is an easy decision, just because of a what have you done for me lately way of thinking. In terms of rookie seasons, Yak's blows Nichu's out of the water. In terms of comparing their current season, Nichu has 5 more points in 2 more games, while shooting 3% higher. Yak is shooting at 10.2%, Nichu at 13.4%. Not to say that Nichu's isn't sustainable, but Yak's certainly is, especially with how deadly his shot is.

So 5 points and some bad press is enough to say easily Nichuskin? Not in my mind at least. I already posted my opinion here. The one you should choose is the one you already have. It's way too hard to tell right now who will be better. If you're deciding which one to acquire, you should get both, but if you only can trade for one, you should trade for the guy that costs you less. If they both cost the same, you should trade for the guy you'll be happier to have on your team. I know personally for me, when a guy isn't scoring, my personal opinion on that player really affects my frustration level. If you consider Kessel and Kane similar producers (I do), I like Kane and I dislike Kessel. Just a personally opinion. So if Kane has a 5 game slump and I own him I'm mildly annoyed but I'm fine with it. If Kessel has a 5 game slump I'm pissed off and angry at him. One is easier to tolerate because I like the player.

Personally, I think Nichuskin should have been a top 5 pick, and definitely higher than 10, so I don't think you can fully say draft pedigree is what you should go off of either. But really, Yak was the first overall selection and I don't think it was that close. If it was, Edmonton knows they needed defense and they would have taken Murray. The precedent for sophmore slumps is well documented, clearly that is what is going on this year, but last year obviously showed he can produce at the NHL and there has not been much negative press on Yakupov lately. I love both players and don't really have much to add, but a 5 point seperation and a not nearly as dominant/productive rookie season doesn't instantly make this an "easy choice"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This seems a little over the top for me. Nichuskin is on pace to finish with the almost the same number of points in 79 games (he's missed three) that Yakupov finished with in 48 games last season, seeing much more consistent top line minutes. Yak spent the majority of last season the third line, seeing some second line, never seeing first line. Nichuskin is on pace for 38 points in 79 games. Yak scored 31 in 48. There should be no scope where this is an easy decision, just because of a what have you done for me lately way of thinking. In terms of rookie seasons, Yak's blows Nichu's out of the water. In terms of comparing their current season, Nichu has 5 more points in 2 more games, while shooting 3% higher. Yak is shooting at 10.2%, Nichu at 13.4%. Not to say that Nichu's isn't sustainable, but Yak's certainly is, especially with how deadly his shot is.

So 5 points and some bad press is enough to say easily Nichuskin? Not in my mind at least. I already posted my opinion here. The one you should choose is the one you already have. It's way too hard to tell right now who will be better. If you're deciding which one to acquire, you should get both, but if you only can trade for one, you should trade for the guy that costs you less. If they both cost the same, you should trade for the guy you'll be happier to have on your team. I know personally for me, when a guy isn't scoring, my personal opinion on that player really affects my frustration level. If you consider Kessel and Kane similar producers (I do), I like Kane and I dislike Kessel. Just a personally opinion. So if Kane has a 5 game slump and I own him I'm mildly annoyed but I'm fine with it. If Kessel has a 5 game slump I'm pissed off and angry at him. One is easier to tolerate because I like the player.

Personally, I think Nichuskin should have been a top 5 pick, and definitely higher than 10, so I don't think you can fully say draft pedigree is what you should go off of either. But really, Yak was the first overall selection and I don't think it was that close. If it was, Edmonton knows they needed defense and they would have taken Murray. The precedent for sophmore slumps is well documented, clearly that is what is going on this year, but last year obviously showed he can produce at the NHL and there has not been much negative press on Yakupov lately. I love both players and don't really have much to add, but a 5 point seperation and a not nearly as dominant/productive rookie season doesn't instantly make this an "easy choice"
    you put too much emphasis on numbers.

You'll have a hard time finding a bigger Nichushkin fan than me, but looking at their potential it's hard not to vote for Yakupov.

He has struggled this season but the high end upside is there for a 35 plus goal scorer with high shot totals. I likely prefer Nichushkin's situation right now (Benn and Seguin) but over the course of 3 years Yakupov "should" end up as a the better asset. Hoping to be proven wrong though, since Nichushkin is such a joy to watch.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with you owning yakupov would it? Nothing obvious about this comparison. Why was one selected to the Russian team and not the other...now that is obvious.
    So obviously Marleau and Kunitz are wayyy better players than Giroux (St. Louis too)!?!?

Yaks had a rough year, but so has Huberdeau points wise. Give the kids a break.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    you put too much emphasis on numbers.
    Lol. You put too much emphasis on....half a season of play? Because that's all you really have to go on with Nichu, I highly doubt you've followed his pre-draft career with any modicum of dedication.

Banned

Lol. You put too much emphasis on....half a season of play? Because that's all you really have to go on with Nichu, I highly doubt you've followed his pre-draft career with any modicum of dedication.
    I put emphasis on what I see on the ice. Does it take you more than 50 games to get a read on a player?

I never saw Yak as more than a 35 goal scorer, 65 maybe 70 points… basically Evander Kane. I see Nich as a guy with the potential to take over periods of a game and dominate… and unlike Yak, he will be able to do it all by himself. He won't need a top flight centerman to help him create his offence. Throw in the fact that he plays for a professional organization and Yak plays for the Oilers only cements my views further.

Banned

Leading the Oilers in goals last season totally signified that. Such short-sightedness on this sight. At the start of the year everyone would have said Yakupov. As a different person's opinion, Corey Pronman is one of the best talent evaluator's I have read. Someone asked him this question on twitter and his answer was "too young and too hard to tell between the two of them. Nichushkin is having a better season this year so I'll choose him". So basically, they are pretty much even. Like I said, it's almost impossible to tell which will be better, so I would stick with the guy you have.
    Id take your opinion over a guy sitting in his moms basement in Florida

great comments ccsitdown - although not sure you fully grasp the meaning of the word "shortly" my guess is you were late for work

I own both and will have to pick just one to keep (unless i keep both and drop/trade barkov which is unlikely). i'm leaning toward keeping yak. purely based on gut feeling which i think is the only way to go here.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsitdown View Post
    I love these threads. If I wasn't heading out to work shortly, I'd go back and find the same threads with the same things we're hearing about Yakovup said about John Tavares and Steven Stamkos during their early years. Not saying either of these guys will be in the same class, but it happens every time a top pick doesn't step in like Crosby or Ovechkin.

A few short points to make. This is a classic "what have you done for me lately" scenario. I'll admit up front that I own Yak in one of my two main pools, but that's because I put a package together for him back in mid-December when his value was at an all-time low. It's a calculated risk, but those risks are what win you pools - it's pretty hard to win when you pay the going rate for a top star at his peak.

But what is Nichu doing that is so much better? I'm not knocking him in the slightest - I've tried to acquire him in a number of pools, but the price is through the roof. But take a closer look, are his numbers that much better? Nichu is on 38 pt pace. And yet, 18 of his 29 points came in November and December. He had 2 points in 11 games in October, and he has 9 in 21 GP since New Years. Since November, he has played the bulk of his time with Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin, not bad.

Yakupov is on 32 pt pace. 6 less. He has had a poor sophomore season, agreed, but he has 7 in his last 10 - if things continue as they have lately, he could outscore Nichu this season. He has been playing 2nd and 3rd line time and linemates for the larger part of the season. He had 15 in his last 15 to end last season, as well, and finished on 53 pt pace as a rookie. Tavares as a rookie? 54pts. Stamkos? 46. Again, not saying either of them will match up to this bonfides, I'm just saying it's pretty damn early to be labeling Yak as a bust and Nichu as the second coming.

Now to get back to the original question, to me it's obvious who I want of the two right now - Nichu. To me, their ultimate destinations are completely up in the air, only time will tell. But Nichu has a heck of a lot more intrinsic value right now - he's a hot commodity. If I had to choose between the two, it would be Nichu simply for that reason, and depending on where my squad was, I would strongly consider flipping him if it made me better. Yakupov doesn't hold that value right now. If you're building for the future, he's a great piece.

Nothing personal against anyone's opinion - we all have different player valuations, or trades would never happen. But in my mind, this is another case of people bailing way too early for an option that has had a better short stretch, without looking at the big picture. The same people who were trading genuine top-20 forwards for Tomas Hertl back around Oct 20th - I had one poolie guarantee me that he would break 65 this year and play a point per game as soon as next year. That's a bet I took. And as usual, he wasn't "jumping on the bandwagon" or "drinking the kool-aid", but assured me that he had been a giant fan of Hertl's since well before he was drafted. A likely story.

Long story short, in my books it's way too late to label Yakupov as a bust. Look at the bigger picture - it's actually a great time to take a chance on him. At the moment, Nichu is the one you want, because he is worth more to you. But all of the "I never liked Yakupov, right from the start" that I've heard lately, well, I would imagine those are pretty wobbly statements. Be patient, he's 20 years old.

Dobber Sports Legend

Yakupov might be the sexier choice but I'm torn here. Why? I guess because I've been unimpressed with Yakupov's production and attitude and very impressed with Nichushkin's. Yakupov reminds me of an Alex Semin type and Nich reminds me of a JVR clone with more size. Nichushkin should be a safe 65-78 points in the bank while Yakupov could be 58-85. Personally, I'd take Nichushkin because there's already too many fantasy headaches to deal with.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka