Thread: McDonagh - good keeper investment?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default McDonagh - good keeper investment?

He's on pace for 41 points, is 25 years old, and is shooting a bit more.

With MDZ no longer in the equation, I noticed McDonagh is now logging over 2.5 minutes of PP time per game this year (compared to essentially none last year). That would explain his point jump.

Is he a reliable D-man to consistently hit 40 points going forward, with solid shot/hit/block contributions?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: McDonagh - good keeper investment?

Short answer. Yes. He is the real deal. He is easily NYR #1 d-man.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Veteran

already a multi-cat stud on d and only getting better. Shooting a bit more? he's shooting a TON....you're a hard man to please! Coach V has given him reigns of the PP finally and MDZ is gone........he's going to be contributing 45+ points with great bs, hit, sog totals for many years to come. I've been patient with him for years and had a feeling this would finally be the year for him....he's definitely a keeper in multi-cat leagues that count bs, hits, sog.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Administrator

Love McD. He's legit.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Olympics were his coming out party......being American, a lot of Canadian poolies that don't see him play didn't realize how great of a player he is. He was criminally under-rated in my league for years (to my delight), but has quietly become the backbone of championship fantasy teams.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

McDonagh has always been on my short-list of defense players to invest in for the long term. He's only going to get better; next season, I can see him being a force.

The Great One

I wasn't a fan. Thought he would be defensively but he has clearly won me over. Torts and vigneault love him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I still have my doubts (albeit very little) about him, but he continues to play very well and the crow on my plate is getting ever closer to eating.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I watch almost every Rangers game as I've owned a bunch of them.....the guy just keeps getting better, and is already the total package. Smooth powerful skater, great vision and first pass, hard shot, solid defensively, can play physical, blocks a pile of shots, eats minutes at even strength, PP and PK......just a stud. I still cannot believe that the Rangers got this guy for Scott Gomez.......just unreal. One of most embarrassingly one-sided trades in recent history IMO.

I made a huge gamble not keeping him coming into this year, but was lucky enough to redraft him. I won't be taking the chance again, McD's not going anywhere.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I watch almost every Rangers game as I've owned a bunch of them.....the guy just keeps getting better, and is already the total package. Smooth powerful skater, great vision and first pass, hard shot, solid defensively, can play physical, blocks a pile of shots, eats minutes at even strength, PP and PK......just a stud. I still cannot believe that the Rangers got this guy for Scott Gomez.......just unreal. One of most embarrassingly one-sided trades in recent history IMO.

I made a huge gamble not keeping him coming into this year, but was lucky enough to redraft him. I won't be taking the chance again, McD's not going anywhere.
    Habs fans are still in denial lol. Poor Habs fans.

McD is one of my favourite d-men. As already mentioned he is still getting better and this season is the first that he's gotten top PP time and the point totals show it. He's on pace for 43 points this year and I can see him being a steady mid-40s player with occasional peaks into the 50s. I replaced Carlson with McD earlier in the year and consider this one of the better moves I've made this year.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, I remember telling my cousin before the season started that McDonagh was my "out of left field" sleeper pick to win the Norris trophy in 2013-14. I know that hasn't exactly come to fruition, but I feel like he's definitely broken out as a legit fantasy Dman, especially in multi-cat leagues. He is clearly the go-to guy in NYR, and he is only getting better and better as time goes on. Definitely a good investment right now, as the price is probably going to do nothing but rise.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin