Thread: Forum Ordeal

I...am your father.

Default Forum Ordeal

Wow, um...I apologize for all that. I went through four programmers. The first one had to step away for personal reasons, the second one pushed me aside for a corporate client that was in trouble, the third one just stopped communicating when I think we were close - and since I had to move quickly, I had to make a quick decision to cut him off from the server and find a new one. The last one messed with databases as well as the 'simple' change that was to be done, and it made the entire process last about 72 hours longer than it needed to...and still didn't get done. Finally, the first programmer came to the rescue and did in a couple hours what the other dummies couldn't do in a week.

But the problem is - the forum is probably worse off than before. That's how much damage the last programmer did, and forced a backup restore. But I couldn't keep it shut down any longer. I will keep it live and do my best to manually add people who sign up. And in the meantime look for a vbulletin expert to chip away at these things, while keeping the forum up. Do the PM's work now? Could use feedback there.

Now that the forum is back up, I can at least untangle my stomach and relax and let a new programmer chip away at his own pace (which will be better than the zero pace that it was moving at before)

After six years, the forum had never been down for more than 24 hours - and that only happened once. This downtime was 100 hours!

We're up and running, albeit an even more scaled-down version

Thanks for sticking by the forum (and me), and for your patience.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Forum Ordeal

What a mission. You must have been freaking out! Your poor wife! hahahaha All the "problems" aren't problems to me. Their minor inconveniences to my favorite place. Coming here is like walking into Cheers. I missed it and I'm glad its back.

Dobber Sports Deity

The hard work is greatly appreciated.

With no forums this week, I was so bored I actually had to do work, at work.

Dobber, DON"T DO THAT TO ME AGAIN!!!!

Thanks for the effort.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Shutting the forum down when it wasn't working well at all was the right call. It's just too bad you don't have a good programmer from North America....someone in the same time zone might have helped!

Nice to see things back up.

Completely off topic - but why don't you sell a package that includes the prospects report, the season predictions AND the mid-season update. On it's own, the mid-season update doesn't have much value to me. [My teams are all expansion, rebuilding...so a mid season report is largely useless to me.] But if you sold them all in a package at the beginning of the year (even without a discount), I'm sure I'd just go for the whole package right from the get go...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sounds like a nightmare, completely out of your hands. Glad we are back up and you can be less stressed now!
    Fantrax 20 Team H2H 14 Keeper Daily
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP SHP Hit Blk FOW W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Steen Horcoff Umberger Brodziak Griffith
    LW Sedin Palat Roussel Tatar Bergenheim Kulemin
    RW Vey Williams Stafford Toffoli Wingels
    D Karlsson Suban Maata Ceci Yandle Streit Hunwick
    G Crawford, Allen, Nabakov

IR Boyle Murray Pirri Chara Merrill

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks Dobber, but just one comment. You should have just told us that major, major stuff was going wrong and that you had no idea when the forum would be back up. If / when this happens again, just be honest with us Dobberites. Don't tell us 24 hours when you have no idea, just be respectful and honest with us about the situation. We'll understand.

Thanks for everything you do. Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

If you're looking for feedback still, I haven't been able to access my user settings since about a month. Also, whether on my home PC, work laptop or droid phone, certain threads do not populate the conversations when I click on the title. Such as the "Cedric Paquette" thread in the Hockey Prospect forum, for example. Its just not loading any of the posts in the topic, and then when I got to post in certain threads it shows me the post right after I make it...then I'll click away and go do something else, only to come back to said thread and my post is magically not there.

Also, my back hurts.

Dobber Sports Giant

What happened last week makes the old statement "You don't know what you've got "til you don't have it anymore" even more true. Atomic Wedgy put it perfectly when he said that logging onto this site is like walking into Cheers. Thanks for all the time, work and effort that is put into making this such a great community!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay