Thread: Site Crash - November 25, 2013 - What Happened

I...am your father.

Default Site Crash - November 25, 2013 - What Happened

Before I get into what happened, I want to explain what I'm doing.

The websites are outdated. All of them. This causes unstability and it's also difficult to make them work with each other. So this caused the "Crash of October 2", which was something that I wanted to avoid happening again. All I want is to have a fantasy hockey site that is fun, helpful and successful. Part of getting there was adding other fantasy sports - growing the brand helps grow the site. It would be nice to just wake up every morning and read and write about fantasy hockey, but in order to handle the growth and keep it fun for everybody, I find myself putting a lot of time and resources into site management, marketing and maintenance. Small price to pay and I'm hoping that in two months all sites will be upgraded and my efforts in those areas can be reduced.

The forum is now running fairly well and once you get used to the navigation it's actually more enjoyable. I like being able to just bold a word using CTRL B, or paste in an Excel chart, or post/embed a video right in the post. And even the 'latest activity' tab, which I hated, I now kinda like as it gives me quick views of the recent replies and posts. Still a few bugs left and we're working on it.

Anyway, one of the bugs in the forum is the time stamps of "latest post" when you look at the forum view. To fix this, I had to have my host increase something (I won't get into details). They increased it - and everything crashed. It took a couple of hours before you could read the forum, but not post. And all sites were actually down for nearly 13 hours. That's as bad as the October 2 incident. I wish I could promise that it won't happen again, but until all sites are upgraded I can't.

Thanks for your patience. I'll continue to be a big presence in the forum and answer your questions or concerns.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Site Crash - November 25, 2013 - What Happened

No worries, bud.
    Life requires a shit-room.

Everytime something needs to improve, it basically needs to go through a period of mess/chaos/dis-organization.
    Analyze everything, get rid of the junk, sort, repeat.

This community has faith in you, such a great website.
    (Now if you could just get rid of the last line in your SIG that always reminds me of what a loser I was last year.... and this year...)