Thread: Marty St. Louis

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Marty St. Louis

How much does the little fellow have left in the tank? I just acquired him this morning for Weiss and a 2nd round pick. I know he has 1 year left on his deal but how much longer can he be productive, realistically?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Marty St. Louis

I would say at least until he's 40, and no reason to think that he can't be just like Jagr - productive into his mid 40s. I think he's seriously an exception to aging entirely, but realistically at least another two seasons of elite production after this one. Then the decline ...
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

That my friend is grand larceny!!

even if he has 2 years left... you play in a keep 42 league (6 teams)... That's 250+ players kept. What can a 2nd rounder give??
    --> Answer: a whole lot less than a MSL!

Weiss is easily replaceable in your league format.

Great move, you should get a good 2 years of 70 points IMO
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Legend

Thanks, mounD. I was kinda thinking along the same lines, although I fear he gets dealt to the Rangers and ends up not producing the same and retiring after his current deal is up. I'm just looking for others' gut hunches here.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Thanks, mounD. I was kinda thinking along the same lines, although I fear he gets dealt to the Rangers and ends up not producing the same and retiring after his current deal is up. I'm just looking for others' gut hunches here.
    Marty has done well even with the absence of Stammer, a true straw that stirs the drink. I'd say he eleviates production wherever he goes. I don't think he hits 90+ but ppg isn't unreasonable for the next couple years. That was a steal of a deal for you btw. GJ!
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Ace

Point per game or slightly under in TB, 70 or slightly under on another team. He's got at least 3 more years in him, guy is a machine and plays a cerebral game. Nice work on the trade!
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Sage

I have the same feeling as Mound. He will play and produce until he no longer wants to. If I had to guess he signs another 2 year deal when this one expires and than takes it year by year from there.

Side note, what kind of leagues do you guys play in were people trade Weiss for MSL
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Side note, what kind of leagues do you guys play in were people trade Weiss for MSL
    It's a very unique league. It was really MSL for a 2nd rounder (Weiss was the body I gave to even out the rosters). Players that were selected in our 2nd-3rd round last year were guys like Nichushkin, Toffoli, Lindholm, Krug, Nurse, Monahan, etc. The team that traded MSL is currently in last place and lost Stamkos, Tavares and Rinne this year. They have been average for the last 3 years or so (after winning a title) and decided to sell off some vets to add youth and top 2 round picks.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Ace

That's a steal, Fungchen.

I'm of the mindset that MSL is close to PPG for 2, 3 more years, then the falloff begins. He's a special, special player

Dobber Sports Legend

Interesting take on MSL, guys. Thanks.

Another note regarding the league/trade dynamics themselves: Good picks and young players are VERY valuable in this league. Because you can keep so many players, if you land a stud, you control their destiny for the duration if you wish - guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Tavares will probably never be traded. So the mindset is: If you land that young stud, you hit big. Case in point was this summer - I wanted Dougie Hamilton and Mikael Granlund bad enough that I traded Zetterberg, Kronwall and two 1st rounders to get them. Once they are proven stars (if they hit) they would be nearly impossible to acquire for vets.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Interesting take on MSL, guys. Thanks.

Another note regarding the league/trade dynamics themselves: Good picks and young players are VERY valuable in this league. Because you can keep so many players, if you land a stud, you control their destiny for the duration if you wish - guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Tavares will probably never be traded. So the mindset is: If you land that young stud, you hit big. Case in point was this summer - I wanted Dougie Hamilton and Mikael Granlund bad enough that I traded Zetterberg, Kronwall and two 1st rounders to get them. Once they are proven stars (if they hit) they would be nearly impossible to acquire for vets.
    Based on this I'd say that the market inefficiency in this league is an undervaluation of veteran talent. I'd be skimming all the old farts for pennies on the dollar in this league.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

His production has stayed right around the point per game mark (or better) the past few years. While there is always the possibility for a steep decline (Selanne eventually hit it) I would think that Marty has 1, maybe 2 years left as a 75+ point player. After that you're probably taking your chances and will need to tread carefully
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Based on this I'd say that the market inefficiency in this league is an undervaluation of veteran talent. I'd be skimming all the old farts for pennies on the dollar in this league.
    I took this approach over the last 4-5 days - acquired M.Green, Jagr and St.Louis for J.Gardiner, Spooner, Weiss and a 2nd rounder.
    8-GM / WK-H2H