Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dobber's Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - Feb.27

I...am your father.

Default Re: Dobber's Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - Feb.27

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I have mikko koivu and filpulla on IR right now. I've picked up nyquist as a replacement for them, but now do not want to drop him when they come back. I'm debating dropping vrbata instead. This is a one year h2h league. Should I drop vrbata instead or do I drop nyquist? This league tracks face off wins so centres are valuable, so I need to keep koivu and filpulla.
    I think...I agree with you. Even with Zetterberg gone, which is the only reason I hesitate...I think Nyquist will do alright. At worst, Vrbata beats him by 5 points going forward, but at best it's the reverse of that.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    KHL threat aside can you give me a 4 year lay out for Kuznetsov production!
    It's really tough doing that on newcomers without a track record. This guy could jump in and do everything offensively that Backstrom did - and just as quickly. Or he could do everything that Filatov did. Best way to tackle it is to think of him as a Nichushkin and watch him come along slow and steady in the same way.

Worst case:
    1 year: 7 points, 53 games and AHL time
    2 years: 23 points, 68 games
    3 years: angrily returns to KHL
    4 years: still in KHL

Best case:
    1 year: 58 points, Calder nomination
    2 years: 74 points, clicking with Ovy and NB
    3 years: 76 points
    4 years: 76 points

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hole View Post
    You Rock Dob's

So scoring in my Dynasty Leauge is in signature...

My D is my weakest link (I feel) and im in a 3 way tie for the last playoff spot. Should i make a move to upgrade another D slot or stand pat and use my last few moves to cycle players and also hope some take a step forward next season? (Barberio, Diaz, Orlov etc...)

D - Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 3.5M$ (A)
    D - Keith Yandle - 5.25M$
    D - Dion Phaneuf - 5.5M$
    D - Raphael Diaz - 1.25M$
    D - Ryan Murray - .925M$

B - Mark Barberio - .6M$

FARM :

D - Brenden Dillon - .9M$
    D - T.J. Brodie - 1.75M$
    D - Brendan Smith - 1.25M$
    D - Dmitri Orlov - .740M$
    D - Adam Larsson -.925M$
    D - Ryan Stanton - .550M$
    D - Philip Larsen - 1.15M$
    Try to upgrade Diaz if you can. Trade him while he's semi-hot offensively

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    GUSTAV NYQUIST has been great for me his finish and confidence seem to be growing. I am working a deal with Nyquist and Downie going to the 4th place manager for Galchenyuk. Is this a safe move?

The reason i am hesitant is because of the 'by committee' style scoring they always seem to have in Montreal.. Do you think Galch will break that mould for the first time since Alex Kovalev in 2008? and one day be a point per game guy?

I am in first place should i cash in? Thanks in advance Dobbs. Love what ya got going here. Cheers
    Thanks Badfish

I think Galchenyuk is the safer prospect to own...but I wouldnt trade my Nyquist for him in the league I own him in, Perhaps I'm too attached. But upsides for each of them are the same and Nyquist is already starting to show it.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by reggo View Post
    Hey Dobber thanks for doing this firstly!

I am in a keeper league (12 teams, 24 players, 12 keepers per year)
    Stats are G/A/+ -/ppp/sog/gwg/pims/hits

I'm in a dogfight for top spot and just lost Johnny T....exploring trade options and sitting on these 2:

1. E. Karlsson/A.Semin and a 1st pick (which is lining up to be 1st overall next season) for J Tavares/J Williams/5th

2. Stamkos/Fowler/10th for Tavares/Nash/J Williams/4th

I'm not planning to keep Nash, Williams or Fowler so as far as long term goes they aren't in the picture. Getting Stamkos is very tempting....however for this season and the quest for 1st place I feel like option 1 helps me more.

My thoughts are this, Tavares is top 3-5 fwd but in a crappy situation on the Isles under Snow which won't change anytime soon. Karlsson is the undisputed top D currently which carries some weight even if JT is the better player overall, but Stamkos scores a lot of goals which are harder to come by than assists and I think he's the best player available out of all 3 especially considering he's decent in the hits category and on a better team with better management.
    I tend to prefer a stronger team long term than short term gains so leaning towards Stammer.

Thoughts?
    I would do the Karlsson deal. Not only is he the top dman, but that 1st rounder is pretty sweet. Very good value for JT and one of the few occasions where I would trade him.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Hey Dobber, thanks for doing this. Team and league in signature.

How would you project Skinner for the next 2 years (for points)?

Also, 13 keepers are in my signature, but we keep 14. Would you pick up Schefeile and keep him as my 14th, or keep bergeron, jack johnson, or perron? I have a team that is the favourite to win this year and the next few years, so that's something to factor in.
    Skinner is a 65-70 point guy if he can play 80 games, so really what you're asking is to project his games. Right now I probably consider him a 73-game player, which makes him a 60-point guy.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Also, forgot to ask:

Would you trade MSL for D. Sedin in my league? I need a LW (raymond was just a temporary fill-in and is getting dropped when Stamkos returns), and figured going forward Sedin's numbers should improve a bit with henrik back. But I am in contention (in 1st place despite not having stamkos all year) so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by making this swap.
    You would shoot yourself in the foot. If you were just going for future, then do the deal, but not if you're looking to win now

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrspctv View Post
    Hi Dobber, thanks for taking questions.

Having trouble choosing my ten keepers in league listed below.

My definite keepers are: (7/10)
    lundqvist, niemi, datsyuk, kane, st. louis, gaborik, pietrangelo

My bubble players, which I need to pick 3 of, are:
    gudas, callahan, kreider, burns, moulson, (nyquist/johnson)

I'm almost certain gudas will occupy a keeper spot. If I am unable to make a trade to upgrade a keeper, which two out of the bubble players would you say would make my keeper list? No farm team, to keep youth (kredier/nyquist/johnson) or not? Any other comments/observations would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    In a points and PIM league you have to keep Kreider. Have to. He's a top 20 forward in multi-cat leagues already. After that I would keep Nyquist because he's a winger (if you need to keep a C, then Scheifele (going by your sig)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by ReservedParking View Post
    Hey Dobber,

Glad to see the forums up and running. Thanks for doing this. It's always a help. I've got a 1 year Yahoo league. Teams been struggling all year with injuries (Malkin, Neal, Kesler, Rinne) and I'm left a hefty way out of 1st, but within reach of 2nd with a healthy, and strong finish.

Looking at the roster below, anywhere you see that particularly should be my focus on improving for a push to 1st? Any players you are buying-low/gambling on for a major stretch run surge? Poking around at the Sedins/Gaborik today but price is too high still for the risk involved.

Are Yandle/Vrbata worthy sell candidates in your mind, due to their tough ROS?
    Thanks, welcome back
    If there are any takers for Vrbata, then do it. I'd dress Trouba over Maatta. I would look into trading Smith, Bonino and Plekanec. I would trade Niemi for another goalie in the Top 10 because Stalock is getting more starts (contract reasons)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd love to hear your projections going forward for Ryan Johansen. Also, he is a RFA at seasons end; what kind of money do you think he gets from CBJ? He came in to this season rated fairly low but always had that "upside" tag because of his high draft placement. This year he seems to have finally found his groove.

I own him in one of my leagues and have thankfully managed to hang onto him the past couple seasons and now being rewarded for my patience. No surprise but I am always getting trade requests for him.

Thanks for the thoughts and doing this.
    If Bozak gets $4.2 million for what...five years? Johansen will get $5 million for six. Unless CBJ pulls a heavy like Toronto did with Kadri. But given how much cap room they have, it's not the same situation so I think he'll get his money.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd love to hear your projections going forward for Ryan Johansen. Also, he is a RFA at seasons end; what kind of money do you think he gets from CBJ? He came in to this season rated fairly low but always had that "upside" tag because of his high draft placement. This year he seems to have finally found his groove.

I own him in one of my leagues and have thankfully managed to hang onto him the past couple seasons and now being rewarded for my patience. No surprise but I am always getting trade requests for him.

Thanks for the thoughts and doing this.
    Also, projections - I think he starts flirting with 70 points on a regular basis after this season.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Hi Dobber.

Thanks for doing this.

Curious as to your three-year point progressions for Jacob Trouba, OEL, and Justin Schultz.

Also, if you have time, do you prefer keeping Granlund or Scheifele in a points-only keeper.
    I prefer Scheifele because he doesn't get hurt.

Just be guessing, as any one of these defensemen could explode for 55 points next year...or not at all.

But here goes.

Trouba - 46, 53, 51
    OEL - 52, 51, 60
    Schultz - 49, 44, 53

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I just made a thread for this (and you answered me a few months ago, but a lot has changed) - which 5 would you be looking to keep for team 1 in my sig?
    MacKinnon, Giroux, Neal, Schneider, Rinne

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    In a goal heavy points league with some pim points and extra pp points who do you like better Scheifele or Granlund? Scheifele does seem more safe, but does Granlund have that superstar level and can he hit it ( he sure seems to be shooting more.)
    Scheifele, as noted above. Injuries make Granlund untrustworthy. I'm reminded of Gaborik. That being said, I do own Granlund and have my fingers crossed. I'm just saying who I would prefer.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I prefer Scheifele because he doesn't get hurt.

Just be guessing, as any one of these defensemen could explode for 55 points next year...or not at all.

But here goes.

Trouba - 46, 53, 51
    OEL - 52, 51, 60
    Schultz - 49, 44, 53
    Thanks Dobber