Thread: Offers for Tavares

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Offers for Tavares

Well the phone keeps on ringing on Tavares and I have had two offers from two GM's and need some input.

First off my league is a 15 team cap Keeper league. We can keep anyone on our roster for 3 seasons before we lose them to FA. Forwards are points only. Defense are points and .1 for a Blocked shot or a hit. Goalies are 2 pts for a win and 3 pts for a shutout.

First deal:

TJ Oshie
    A. Galchenyuk

For

J. Tavares

Thoughts: I have been big on Gally since he was drafted, but its one of those cases of trading a proven stud to a prospect that maybe a stud in waiting.

Second deal:

A. Kopitar
    M.A. Fleury

For

J. Tavares
    M. Smith

Note: Now Mike Smith is in his third year with me so unless I move by our trade deadline I lose him to FA, and Fleury is a big upgrade in goal for me, but my biggest issue is cap wise he only has this year and next year at 5 million versus Tavares 5.5 million for the next 5 years. And as for kopitar it's hard to have him at 6.8 million when he averages 70 pts a season. \

Here is my team as it is:

Forwards:
    R. Garbutt
    B. Wheeler
    C. Eakin
    T. Ennis
    M. Pacioretty
    E. Kane
    M. Calvert
    C. Smith
    J. Benn
    J. Tavares
    M. Duchene
    D. Stepan

Defense:
    M. Weber
    C. De Haan
    J. Johnson
    B. Lovejoy
    A. Pietrangelo
    T. Gilbert

Goalies:
    B. Bishop
    M. Smith

Bench:
    J. Trouba
    R. Lehner
    S. Jones
    T. Teravainen
    J. Gibson
    D. Jaskin
    M. Nieto
    T. Jurco

Default Re: Offers for Tavares

I would decline the first offer. I don't think Oshie and Galchenyuk is good value for Tavares. I'm not particularly high on Oshie as a consistent point-producer long-term and while Galchenyuk is a prize young forward to have, Tavares has proven his worth and I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet. I think Tavares will out-produce Oshie and Galchenyuk for some time to come.

As far as the second deal goes, taking on Kopitar's $6.8M is steep. How does the free agency market look in your pool in the summer? Are there any good goalies that you could acquire when you lose Smith?

I...am your father.

I would not do either deal. Not close, especially with Tavares' sweet cap hit. There is no rush
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I would say no on both. Kopitar plus more would be something to consider but it would really have to be a very good "more"

At the moment good starting goalies are scares, the only two worth noting is Rinne, and Miller. I'm watching Pekka Rinne's health carefully as I can take on his cap hit if I remove johnson and replace him with a cheaper defenseman. If someone else grabs him then I can possible bring Lehner into my starting lineup if I am unable to get a goalie for next year. But all things considering I am prepared to let Smith go for nothing.

Been contacted again by the GM of the second offer with a "Final offer".

Now its

A. Kopitar
    M.A. Fleury
    M. Johnasson

For
    Tavares
    Smith
    2nd rounder.

Not thrilled by this one either.

I'm almost wanting to just bite the bullet and see if I can win with Tavares hurt as most of the other GM's are expecting me to just give Tavares away. There is something that I have thought is one of the last place teams that recently has had to change GM's (Old one lost interest) and has Seguin and Kucherov on their roster. Seguin would be nice with Benn on my team along with his 5.75 cap hit and Kucherov is such a dynamic prospect.

Is that a worth wild endeavor? Or should I just sit and wait?

Btw thanks for the advices so far!