Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kesler has asked for a trade

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Kesler has asked for a trade

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Generally speaking I know I am more likely to believe those reporters who have been shown to be credible in the past over official comments by a player/team who are the subject of the debate. I listed to Bob McKenzie discuss Kesler this morning and he made a few good points. I consider McKenzie to be both credible and have actual "insider sources".

Bob said a number of things:
    1. He had heard from numerous people he trusted that Kelser had talked about wanting out of Vancouver while in Sochi. Not that he had told Vancouver just that he'd prefer to get out.
    2. He believed the source who initially reported Kesler had asked for a trade but also generally believed Kesler's denial.
    3. Bob explained "You can ask for a trade, You can demand a trade, You can have your agent ask for or demand or say you'd be willing to waive your NTC. All of these are slightly different ways of doing the same thing. If players or teams want to hide behind semantics they can. Maybe Kesler sent his agent to the Canucks and said Kesler would be willing to waive his NTC to go to the right team. Since Kesler has a NMC he has all the power, you don't say you'd be willing to waive your NMC if you don't want out of Vancouver. Kesler can say he hasn't asked for or demanded a trade and not by lying while another source may read between the lines and say he's asked for a trade."

Bob also pointed out that teams do these semantic dances. He said teams hate when it's reported that they are "shopping a player" they like to say "we're listening to offers" or "we're looking for the right deal". This is why Bob used the phrase "aggressively listening" to offers around Kesler, because Vancouver had denied they were making the calls (shopping) but still they were willing to listen (aggressively) to offers.

To the second half of your point their are some bloggers and reporters (mainly bloggers) out there who like to throw out rumours with little or no substance. When these guys are wrong often enough their reputation takes a hit and soon few people believe the stuff they right. In summation, I'll believe a trusted reporter over a player/GM but don't give much weight to random bloggers. Also, often both sides can claim they are telling the truth by doing the semantics dance.
    Well said.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    As good a guy as Luongo seems to be, I think it'd be naive to believe that his "feud" with the organization hasn't impacted the rest of the team in some way - probably negatively, especially for other guys signed there long-term.
    Right on. Botchford:

Leave it to Roberto Luongo to capture both the Ryan Kesler firestorm and the current state of the Vancouver Canucks with one of his zingers.

“I said whether he wants to go or stay, he’s not going anywhere,” Luongo said. “We all know how this script ends.”
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Right on. Botchford:

Leave it to Roberto Luongo to capture both the Ryan Kesler firestorm and the current state of the Vancouver Canucks with one of his zingers.

“I said whether he wants to go or stay, he’s not going anywhere,” Luongo said. “We all know how this script ends.”
    My initial hunch was that we'd end up with the Canucks trading the heir to Kesler's role on the team and releasing a statement about how they'd always intended to trade that young player for a draft pick...

... then I looked at their roster.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    If he does get traded can we stop referring to the Canucks as 'divers'?
    Absolutely not.
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GW2 SO2

F: Tavares, Eichel, Hall, Schenn, Arvidson, Miller, Bertuzzi
    D: Karlsson, Pionk, Hronek, Trouba, Schmidt
    Goalies: Dubnyk, Bishop,Griess

Right on. Botchford:

Ha. I hadn't seen that yet. Doesn't really surprise me that Luongo said that but at the same time, if you're Gillis you HAVE to be still shopping Luongo for someone to take him. Given Luongo's comments, he obviously doesn't still want to be in VAN and I don't think anyone would believe that the two sides have reconciled since last summer.

That must be one poisonous atmosphere there. Luongo is disgruntled with his situation there, Kesler apparently wants out and Tortorella as a coach. Really wish we could see a 24/7 with the Canucks - I bet it'd be entertaining.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    Ha. I hadn't seen that yet. Doesn't really surprise me that Luongo said that but at the same time, if you're Gillis you HAVE to be still shopping Luongo for someone to take him. Given Luongo's comments, he obviously doesn't still want to be in VAN and I don't think anyone would believe that the two sides have reconciled since last summer.

That must be one poisonous atmosphere there. Luongo is disgruntled with his situation there, Kesler apparently wants out and Tortorella as a coach. Really wish we could see a 24/7 with the Canucks - I bet it'd be entertaining.

Luongo didn't ask for a trade originally, the Canucks announced they were going with Schneider and they were moving Lu... and then they traded Schneider. If they move Luongo now it is basically just an admission that they have no plan/clue/hope.

Remind me again why some people still support Gillis?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

True, but Luongo CLEARLY doesn't want to be there. I'd be quite anxious over still putting my starting goalie between the pipes knowing that he has no desire to play for my team. Not saying Luongo would be unprofessional and throw games er anything, but that simply cannot be a good environment on the ice or in the dressing room.

And to think that this guy was the captain at one point too...

Dobber Sports Stud

Interesting that Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi claims the Penguins made a pitch for Kesler. He reported via Twitter: “Hearing Sutter, Pouliot part of those talks. That was before Letang situation”.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Wizard

If he wants out, I definitely think you'll see him land out East. I watched a couple of episodes of "NHL Revealed" and you could tell he hates being away from his family more than the every day father/husband. He has young kids, he's going to turn 30 years old this summer, he must be tired of the travel that goes with being out West, and he must see that Vancouver is a sinking ship..

Landing in the East in the Metro division would be perfect for him - he's closer to home (Michigan) and he would travel much less.

Dobber Sports Stud

I guess I've been in the dark. I was under the assumption that player's families ( ie wife and kids ) lived with them. It's not like Kesler just got traded to Van. He's been there for nine years. Why would his wife and young kids not be living in Van.? It's not a bad place to live. I know guys are on the road a lot but at least when they are home, their family is there.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Wizard

Can't see the Pens parting with Pouliot now. If you insert Despres there, I could see that being more realistic from the Pen's side of things.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Wizard

I guess I've been in the dark. I was under the assumption that player's families ( ie wife and kids ) lived with them. It's not like Kesler just got traded to Van. He's been there for nine years. Why would his wife and young kids not be living in Van.? It's not a bad place to live. I know guys are on the road a lot but at least when they are home, their family is there.
    Of course his wife and kids live in Van. And yes, Van is a great place to live. But even a "close by" road game or road trip is a lot of travel compared to the travel time in the Eastern Conference where players basically return to their own home on the same day they left for a road game.

Factor in that he's American (from the East), and the reality that the Canucks are about to go into rebuild mode, and it makes sense that he wants a change.

Look at Schneider - he didn't seem that upset about getting traded to an Eastern team, being closer to home and family, and spending less time on the road when playing away games. He actually seemed happy about the trade.

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't really consider Livonia, Michigan born in the east, but I hear what you're saying. I'm sure he'd love a trade to the Wings.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Deity

More rumors flying today that Kesler has given Vancouver 4 teams that he would waive his NTC to go to.

Pittsburgh
    Detroit
    Chicago
    Flyers

Again, these are simply rumors.

They were talking on the Hotstove tonight (glad they brought that back tonight as I have missed that) that Pittsburgh's pushing hard for him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Bob McKenzie tweeted- Quote:
    Price to get Kesler is high. 1. Significant/established NHLer, preferably a C, 20 to 25; 2. Top prospect, preferably a F. 3. 1st rd pick.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher