Thread: Need to drop one of these goalies

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Need to drop one of these goalies

Need some advice here folks. I am in a 10 team dynasty league with weekly roster setting and I need to make a roster move. There are two starting goaltender slots. Wins, Losses, Shutouts, GAA, SV's, SV% are the goalies cats. I am leaning on dropping Kuemper but I'm finding it hard to do. I may not make it to the NHL trade deadline to see what the Wild might do with their goaltending situation. Is Kuemper the real deal?? I've tried trading Kuemper but the goalie market is pretty soft being a 10 teamer.

I currently have 4 goalies on my roster including:

H.Lundqvist (NYR), C. Anderson (OTT), F. Andersen (ANA), and D. Kuemper (MIN)

The cap on the number of goalies on the roster is 4 and I need to make room for R. Lehner as he will no longer be eligible for minor league rostering (50 GP). As Lehner is likely to start tomorrow night, that brings his total to 49 GP so I have to make a decision ASAP.

My minors roster has A. Raanta (CHI), J, Gibson (ANA), and R. Lehner (OTT) So i'm pretty good at goaltender depth.

I had a deal on the table for F. Andersen (ANA) but i'm not sure I want to deal him away as I think he's going to be a pretty good NHL goalie.

The deal was:

Frederik Anderson in exchange for Darnell Nurse + 3rd round entry draft pick. (He won't do a 2nd round pick)

Accepting this deal would allow me to keep Kuemper (MIN), and allow me to move up Lehner (OTT) to the big club.

Am I better off dropping Kuemper and allowing Lehner to come up ? Or am I better off taking the trade and keeping Kuemper?

I am in first place and I am obviously in contention for a championship. I won't be able to rely on F. Andersen for consistent starts this year but I may be able to with Kuemper but there are no guarantees there either. When do you guys think Craig Anderson gets moved? He still has 1 more year left on his contract.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Need to drop one of these goalies

Complex situation with alot to take into account. The first thing that come to mind is can you send down Andersen to minors and get Lehner up? If its yes, you got your answer but I'll assume it's no. I would personnaly make the trade for Nurse (maybe try to upgrade the pick to a second while giving him a lower pick since it's not a deap draft year). My reasoning here is that Andersen is surely a great G but I think Kuemper is in the same category considering their upside (maybe a bit lower but realy close). But Kuemper as the better chance long term; even if Min get a starting G, say Miller, Kuemper remain the backup with Backstrom and Harding near the end of their career. Andersen has Fasth, Hiller and Gibson infront of him. Finaly, since your fighting for first, Kuemper is surely the better option since he may remain the starter or at least backup compare to Andersen who may stay in the minors for the remaining of the year. So go grab Nurse, he's a great player.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ddtop View Post
    Complex situation with alot to take into account. The first thing that come to mind is can you send down Andersen to minors and get Lehner up? If its yes, you got your answer but I'll assume it's no. I would personnaly make the trade for Nurse (maybe try to upgrade the pick to a second while giving him a lower pick since it's not a deap draft year). My reasoning here is that Andersen is surely a great G but I think Kuemper is in the same category considering their upside (maybe a bit lower but realy close). But Kuemper as the better chance long term; even if Min get a starting G, say Miller, Kuemper remain the backup with Backstrom and Harding near the end of their career. Andersen has Fasth, Hiller and Gibson infront of him. Finaly, since your fighting for first, Kuemper is surely the better option since he may remain the starter or at least backup compare to Andersen who may stay in the minors for the remaining of the year. So go grab Nurse, he's a great player.
    Very well put. Take the deal and get something instead of dropping a good prospect.

Administrator

Yeah, I'd make the deal. You are overloaded with good goalie prospects. Makes sense to do a deal than to lose the asset for free.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Not much to add other than my concurrence with the advice to accept the trade. Andersen is iffy but could be great you are just playing the odds that you are fine in goal regardless.