Thread: Tavares/Letang for backstrom/yandle

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Tavares/Letang for backstrom/yandle

I am in 2nd place in my keeper pool (see sig) In order to stay there I would need to move Tavares against my better judgement. Is locking up a spot in the money worth the long term downgrade at both spots? I'd love to keep letang, but he is a band aid boy so while his upside is bigger, he may never significantly outscore yandle. And there aren't many better forwards in a keeper league that I could expect to get for Tavares, but I do feel like its a pretty big drop off to backstrom.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this deal
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Tavares/Letang for backstrom/yandle

Ultimately, it's your money, and you want it now...

Seriously though, neither JT or Letang are helping you get money this season. If I thought I had a realistic chance at winning, I'd make the trade.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pensfan View Post
    I am in 2nd place in my keeper pool (see sig) In order to stay there I would need to move Tavares against my better judgement.
    If this is a deal to stay in 2nd place then I wouldn't make it. If this is a deal that will push you into 1st place, then that makes more sense in making it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Though call here. You are giving up more than you are receiving but in that price comes the fact that you can't use the assets that you are trading away this year.

The kicker for me in here is Letang; I would trade Letang for Yandle, stroke or no stroke. Yandle is truly undervalued in many leagues IMO. Keep in mind, he plays for the Coyotes and manages to get similar offensive outputs to Letang that plays with his All-Star squad.

Like Axeman said, if this moves gives you a legit shot to win, then I would be inclined to do it. However, if the 1st place team has a good lead and this trade simply ensures that you won't slip out of contention, then I would stand pat and focus on next year regardless.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

The goal is always to win, so if you can make a deal to do that then I'd probably pull the trigger. It is definitely a case where the other owner is taking advantage of your standing position and injuries though, anyway to get it sweetened with a pick or additional roster upgrade?

On a side note I would honestly consider Yandle and Letang just about equal in value at this point, maybe even edge Yandle (can you tell i'm a disgruntled Letang owner?)
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks. I am locked into 2nd. No chance at 1st but 2nd still pays a couple hundred bucks and I'm not looking at a major downgrade here. This deal may cost me 10-15 point next year (I agree with the assessment that yandle is better than letang if for no other reason than he will play more games) and who knows what will happen next year. Gotta get in the cash while you can right? No way to bleed any more out of him and no one else is willing to come close to this offer....which kinda surprises me. One guy refuses to add anything to Benn in a deal...I was thinking maybe I was overvaluing Tavares but glad to see you guys agree with me

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just in case you needed another opinion - I'd make the deal if it put me in the money. That's the ultimate goal - winning or finishing in the money. I agree with the sentiment that Yandle is essentially equal to Letang at this point. I think you're "only" losing 15-20 points/year moving Tavares for Backstrom, although many of those points are goals.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would not make this deal. You might have a shot at the money this year, but why punt an opportunity of having better keepers moving forward and having more chances at the money down the road? JT is a top-5 player, man.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Split down the middle on this one. I'm going to make the deal. Hate giving up Tavares whose the best player in the deal and letang because I am a diehard pens fan, but happy with the guys I'm getting back and getting in the cash. With my core of players I will still be one of the favorites next year. Thanks for the advice