Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hockey School vs 1 on 1 Training with ex-pro

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Hockey School vs 1 on 1 Training with ex-pro

I have a 9 year old nephew in 1st year Atom. There is an ex pro hockey player in my town who does 1 on 1 training and its roughly the same price as a week long hockey school. The Okanagan hockey school for one week I believe is 600 - 700 dollars while the one on one training with the ex pro is 45 minute on ice training, 10 sessions for like $800.

What do you think is more beneficial? I'm paying for his 1 on 1 training in the new year but would when it comes summer time would it be more beneficial doing the hockey school or 1 on 1.

Serious responses please

The Great One

Default Re: Hockey School vs 1 on 1 Training with ex-pro

why does a 9 year old need one-on-one training with an ex pro? what exactly are you looking to get out of that? if you have the money to spend, i'd put him in a hockey school where he can learn and practice all aspects of the team game.

Dobber Sports Monster

This is a quote from his site

"Private on-ice sessions are designed around players individual needs. We will work with each player to create a plan to improve their overall skating, shooting, passing, puck-handling, and checking"

The only thing I'm trying to get out of this is to make my nephew happy because he said all he wants to do is get better and training with the ex pro hockey player is fun to him. He has done other programs but all of those are with 8-10 other kids. I figure if it's 1 on 1 he will way better help.

But If getting better at hockey makes him happy i'm going to spend the money without second thought if it puts a smile on his face

The Great One

To be honest, I'd just ask the kid which would make him happier, and go with that. As a kid, I would have preferred the hockey school approach. But if he's done several like that, then sure - the novelity factor may be quite appealing for him...

Dobber Sports Monster

2 summers ago he did 2 week camp at Okanagan Hockey School and said it was too stressful for him at the time then last summer he asked to only do 1 week. See how it goes. Might end up doing both if he's up for it. It's just lately he has been lately where he seems passionate about the game and keeps wanting more ice times. Right now he has 1 team practice a week, 2 games a week, 1 practice a week with ex pro (Atom Skills Clinic 8 w/8 other kids). I was going to put him in the 1 on 1 now but think it might be too many ice times? I don't want to put the kid through too much but then again I might be wrong. But I'm going to ask him about it and see how he fells.

Ever since he was cut from Atom Development as a first year player he said he is going to do anything and everything to improve so that he can make that team as a 2nd year player.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Originally posted by als_revenge View Post
    To be honest, I'd just ask the kid which would make him happier, and go with that. As a kid, I would have preferred the hockey school approach. But if he's done several like that, then sure - the novelity factor may be quite appealing for him...
    This is 100% the correct answer. In the grand scheme of things whether this kid does hockey school or spends time in 10 on ice sessions with an ex-pro is likely to have very little difference over all. If this child starts to dislike hockey because of choices being made for them or because of pressure then you can almost guarantee that either they will drop out of hockey eventually, or become really good but hate the hell out of their parents. I don't think either are the desired outcomes here.

At 9 years old this child is likely going to want to please the adults in their life and will do whatever you suggest. Asking them what they would like to do is the right answer 100% of the time.

If it was me, and there was any option to do so, I would spend that money on developing an amazing backyard arena and if they truly love to the sport they will be out there every night, developing faster than any other school/training can give them.

Administrator

At that age I'm thinking too much hockey might not be a good thing.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Originally posted by doulos View Post
    At 9 years old this child is likely going to want to please the adults in their life and will do whatever you suggest. Asking them what they would like to do is the right answer 100% of the time.

If it was me, and there was any option to do so, I would spend that money on developing an amazing backyard arena and if they truly love to the sport they will be out there every night, developing faster than any other school/training can give them.
    First off, asking my nephew what he wants to do is always first priority. He has never been forced into anything, especially hockey. I asked whether 1 on 1 private sessions or Hockey School was better for his development. I didn't ask for your opinion on how my nephew is raised. If you want to give advice on how to raise a child you should go to a parenting forum and voice your opinion

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My son is currently playing JR-A in the BCJHL so I like to think I can give you some general thoughts...

#1-I have seen hundreds of kids at the atom age that are better than their peers,but in bantam and midget they r not...
    #2-It is hard not to get all excited when a player is 9 years old,but it is soooooooo early to tell..

#3-hockey school for sure...1 on 1 training at 9 years old?...never in a million years!!

Dobber Sports Monster

Originally posted by #19 Joe Thornton View Post
    My son is currently playing JR-A in the BCJHL so I like to think I can give you some general thoughts...

#1-I have seen hundreds of kids at the atom age that are better than their peers,but in bantam and midget they r not...
    #2-It is hard not to get all excited when a player is 9 years old,but it is soooooooo early to tell..

#3-hockey school for sure...1 on 1 training at 9 years old?...never in a million years!!
    Thank you for this response

Dobber Sports Ninja

Originally posted by StuntMan712 View Post

First off, asking my nephew what he wants to do is always first priority. He has never been forced into anything, especially hockey. I asked whether 1 on 1 private sessions or Hockey School was better for his development. I didn't ask for your opinion on how my nephew is raised. If you want to give advice on how to raise a child you should go to a parenting forum and voice your opinion

Thanks
    If you asked your nephew what he wanted to do and he gave you an answer then why are you here? I wasn't offering parenting advice, but hockey advice - I suggested putting the money into developing a backyard rink and letting your nephew spend his life out there - pretty much like all the good hockey players I know did/do.

Frankly your kneejerk response comes off as the absolute stereotypical hockey hyper-aggressive parent/relative/coach.

EDIT: I just went and searched your posts and found out that this is a theme with you in other posts. The only thing we didn't get in this particular thread was the average time on ice your 9 year old nephew had during his summer interleague games.

Dobber Sports Monster

I did ask him. He said he wants to do both. I was just on here asking what is better for hockey development. Do you need a chart with pictures and a teacher to help explain this to you? And btw he was averaging 17:26 ice time per game. Right now in Atom he is getting 31:26 and for those 31:26 I am standing on top of my seat screaming and banging on the glass while constantly arguing with the other kids parents. All while drinking a coffee from Tim Hortons. And everytime he scored I scream so loud and point at the opponent teams fans while saying "WOO HOO.....WHEEEEWWWW"

Did I mention I bring cow bells to the game and air horns?

My nephew will make it to the NHL. Get drafted 1st overall in his draft, Calder Trophy, 3 Hart Trophies, 3 Art Ross, 5 Stanley Cups, 1st ballot hall of famer! Bank on it

But if you think I'm a crazie you should see the other fans at the games

[Sarcasm...] ...... sorry I had to tell you this was a sarcastic post because if I didn't post it then you would have thought I was for real

Dobber Sports Ninja

Cool story bro. Let me guess. You would have been pro if not for the knee injury.

Dobber Sports Monster

Actually I did play 2 years professional. 2 years BCHL 2 Years WHL and 2 more years in SPHL. I tried out once for the Chicago Wolves in the AHL but was one of the first cuts. Came home because the pay wasn't paying the bills good enough so I came home to work in the Mines

The Great One

Hockey school for sure. One on One with an ex pro (who is probably a nobody....and uses his ex pro status to make chump change....something you could do as another ex pro) is an absolute waste of money at nine years old. At nine years old your nephew will have to improve on everything. Shooting, skating, passing...everything. I think one on one lessons, from a somebody, is good to improve certain aspects of ones game. Also, the team aspect and the 'way of life' is something that those lessons won't cover.

Hockey school for now. In two to three years...private lessons mixed in.

PS) the backyard rink would be the best