Thread: Who are my three keepers?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Who are my three keepers?

Basic Yahoo scoring in a 10-team pool with three keepers. The only main difference is QB values are lower than normal (a TD is worth four points instead of six, but we get a point for every 25 yards thrown, and a point for a RB/WR for every 10 yards run/caught). But even with those scoring settings, only one of the top 13 players in our league wasn't a QB.

I was an expansion team this past season, so I'm still missing out on elite players. We start two QBs, two WRs, two RBs, one TE, one WR/R/T, one K, one defence.

I basically have five good players: Kaepernick, A.J. Green, Forte, DeMarco Murray, and Gronk.

I also don't have a first round pick since I traded it going for the win, so I need to make sure the three I keep are the best, since I probably won't get a chance to pick up whoever I drop.

Which three would you keep?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Who are my three keepers?

Kaepernick, Forte, Murray

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Padawan

If Grink is healthy to start nxt year I'd keep:Green, Forte and Gronk. If not, swap Murray in for Gronk. Kaper is not a keeper or even a starter in a 10 team league

Dobber Sports Deity

You were an expansion team, and you were going for the win?? Interesting.

I would be keeping Green, Forte and Murray. It would suck losing Gronk but I have a hard time trusting him long term and AJ Green is easily a top 5, if not top 3 WR.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Originally posted by Axeman33 View Post

I would be keeping Green, Forte and Murray. It would suck losing Gronk but I have a hard time trusting him long term and AJ Green is easily a top 5, if not top 3 WR.
    if it was a 1,3,2 league or he had a 1st round pick I would have picked those 3 as well but since it is a 2,2,2 and he has no first rounder I don't see not keeping a QB even a not so great one

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Guru

Originally posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Yeah, Our expansion worked so that after all the other teams got to choose their keepers, the two expansion teams got to choose any three leftover players as our keepers. I took Gronk, A.J. Green and Kaepernick. I then drafted well enough (got Murray, Andre Johnson, SF defence, Welker and Rivers through the draft). I got some lucky breaks, and was second overall for most of the season, so I made a deal that got me Forte and the Carolina defence. Ended up second overall, got a first round bye where I was favoured to win before losing the semifinals to a team that got 24 points from a Seattle defence and 20 points from Matt Flynn (most in the fourth quarter). That's fantasy football for you, but my team overachieved and I went for the win while I could.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for all the responses. Just to answer a few questions, some QBs taken later include Rivers and Cutler in the 11th round, Palmer in round 13 and Bradford, Alex Smith and Freeman in the eighth. And actually, no QB was taken in the first round since most owners opted to keep at least one QB (and two in some cases). So I'm somewhat confident I can get at least one competent QB later on. But I'm unsure if I can get two.

Dobber Sports Wizard

without knowledge of how the teams in your league keep and draft all i can do is determine how i would value players in this type of league make some assumptions and give advice based on that

one thing i want you to keep in mind though is that your league just went through expansion and i wouldn't treat that first draft as religion going forward because i am willing a number of GMs drafted the same as they have for years and didn't adjust for the change in the number of teams and i am willing to bet that some things could be a bit different depending on if guys who came out of the draft with only 2 QBs got burned by it or not or if those who waited long on their 2nd QBs got burned or not

the way i would draft this league is i would want 2 QBs, 2 RBs and 1 receiver after 2 rounds have been drafted and if i were missing a pick my order of importance of position would be QB, RB, WR

not only is it a matter of scarcity regarding QBs but bye week considerations are pretty damn important and i wouldn't be willing to let other teams determine my options for me once bye weeks are taken into account

in a 3 keeper i would imagine that every team keeps at least 1 QB and every team keeps at least 1 RB once you factor in the teams with 2 good RBs (like yours) and with 2 good QBs i would imagine anywhere between 12 and 15 QBs and 12 and 15 RBs will be kept every year

now even if it is no longer the proper drafting strategy everyone was raised on the RB-RB draft strategy and as a result i would imagine that by the end of the 2nd round of the draft 20-25 RBs will be off the board and this is why i would want to make sure i have 2 by the end of the second

now with QBs like i said all i can do is go on how i view drafting in a league like this but due to scarcity of position and bye weeks and the lack of options if every team ends up with a full compliment of 3 i would want to make sure i have both of my starters nailed down by the end of the 2nd round as well

punting a week is a strategy but it isn't always easy to draft perfectly to this and given that bye weeks change year to year it is tough to manage your keepers around this strategy

are there any teams in your league weak in RB and strong in QB perhaps that might make a good trade partner

no matter what you decide to do one thing i would definitely do is go through each roster in the league and do a mock keepers and maybe run through some draft scenarios as well to see what might be there when you pick

it is easy for us to sit here and give you advice based on how we view the league but the advice is based on a lot of assumptions that you have the ability to take out of the equation given you have every roster

a quick question when do you have to declare your keepers

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max