Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tavares Trade

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Tavares Trade

A GM in my pool has thrown JT on the trade block and is trying to illicit offers for him. He is of the type who wants a severe overpay for him. He has a couple of other players that he says he would package but hasn't named them out right. His team roster is in the attached GM Roster pdf.

He also has his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round selections in this years rookie draft which would equal the 18th, 27th, and 36th overall picks, and all of his 5 picks for next years rookie draft.Our available rookie pool is quite deep this year and there are a lot of good up and coming talent left on their. The list of available rookies not including the 2014 draft class are included in the attached Rookie Pool pdf..

I currently have 2 picks in the first round (1st overall, and 2nd or 3rd depending on standings), 2nd round(14th or 15th overall), 19th overall, 28th overal, and 37th overall. I am in last place with no chance of placing in the money for the regular season. THat being said we conduct a separate playoff pool using 15 skaters and 1 goalie from our keeper rosters. As of today, I have 10 for sure playoff players, potential of up to 13 on good teams that could go deep, so I have a shot of winning playoff pool money.

From my team in the sig, do I have enough to offer this GM to get Tavares plus pieces away from him? Based on my Roster, is Tavares a guy I should go gangbusters for and do whatever it takes? This GM is in first place overall with a fairly comfortable lead at the present time, 40 pts I believe on second place, and will be hurt by Tavares injury. His 3rd highest point getter is Okposo.

Do I stand pat with what I have, try and win some playoff money(1st in playoffs pays for whole season next year) and rebuild through rookie and free agent drafts in the summer, or try and make a trade to get Tavares + pieces and/or draft picks and remove any chance of potentially winning playoffs?

Sorry this thread post is so long, appreciate all who respond. All who respond will get rep'd!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

10 Team, Points Only, Full Keeper, Salary Cap league (AAV)
    30 player max(main roster only)
    12 F, 6D, 2G(Weekly Line-up) count toward points (G=1/A=1/W=2/SO=+1/SOL=1)

F: -P. Kane, Benn, Schiefele, Laine, Eichel, S. Reinhart, Ehlers, Schmaltz, Bailey, Panik, Eaves, Zetterberg, Steen, Beauvillier, C. Fischer

D: - Byfuglien, Matheson, Hanifin, Ekholm, Djoos, Butcher, Sanheim

G: - Dubnyk, Lundqvist, Shesterkin

Picks :
    2018 : 1st, 4th, 4th
    2019 : 2nd
    2020 : 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Tavares Trade

Is the other guy going for the win?

Regardless, I don't think you can get a deal. In a cap league, Tavares is golden. Low cap hit, high points. You could offer something like Getzlaf if he was going for it, but Getz's cap hit is much higher.

I think you would need to offer Getz, Drouin, Barkov, Hedman and your first.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

You've got some high quality prospects in Nichushkin, Drouin, Huberdeau, Kuznetsov and Barkov. I'd start with 2 of them and Perry or Getzlaf. If he's going for the win that will help him maintain his lead now and the two prospects will help in the future if he can't hang onto Getz or Perry. That would give you a great player to build around, you've still got your other youngsters, and your defense and goaltending should be good to go next year. Could end up accelerating your plans.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

If your potential trading partner expects severe overpayment for his players, then it's entirely possible that a package involving the guys newfcollins lists wouldn't even be adequate. You've got some really good young players - Nichushkin, Huberdeau, Barkov, Drouin, Hedman, Trouba, Bishop - if the other GM seeks to acquire most of these guys in exchange for Tavares, I'd balk at that.
    If you're intent on getting Tavares, I would offer up Getzlaf/Perry/Hossa as a centrepiece in a package to get him. I think you'd be hard-pressed to make a lot of noise in the playoffs, but if you can deal away a significant salary from one of these guys and get Tavares, you'd have an excellent player to build your team around. I might even think about including Rinne in an attempt to get Tavares - he has Luongo and Elliot, but that wouldn't fill me with an abundance of confidence, especially with Elliot.
    Having that many draft picks will only help solidify your rebuild. Don't mortgage the majority of your younger guys for Tavares. Offer up one of the elite forwards you currently have and start from there. Good luck!

He has already said that my top guys are old and overpaid for his liking. He is the most difficult person to deal with anyways.

F: -P. Kane, Benn, Schiefele, Laine, Eichel, S. Reinhart, Ehlers, Schmaltz, Bailey, Panik, Eaves, Zetterberg, Steen, Beauvillier, C. Fischer

Picks :

Dobber Sports Deity

Getzlaf isnt old. LOL! Sounds like he really doesn't want to trade Tavares and is simply blowing smoke.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Deuces6 View Post
    He has already said that my top guys are old and overpaid for his liking. He is the most difficult person to deal with anyways.
    If he wants young players, give him the overpayment he wants - anyone other than Drouin. In a points only league, none of Nich, Barkov or Hubs will come close to Tavares. Drouin will come close, but not beat Tavares. You can always get rookies going forward, but Tavares comes along once or twice in a fantasy league lifetime.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

While I will agree with you, I don't think he will see that as being enough, in all honesty. Plus due to our cap, I think this move will put him over the cap making him need to drop some of already full roster, which is easy enough to do, but because he is in first place, evenplayers who aren't even counting towards his points totals are completely over valued by him.
    It's worth a shot though, I'll have to make sure I am not going to go under our roster minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

While I will agree with you, I don't think he will see that as being enough, in all honesty. Plus due to our cap, I think this move will put him over the cap making him need to drop some of already full roster, which is easy enough to do, but because he is in first place, evenplayers who aren't even counting towards his points totals are completely over valued by him.
    It's worth a shot though, I'll have to make sure I am not going to go under our roster minimum.

Picks :

Deuces - it seems like you have a pretty good handle on what this guys wants and expects. A lot of the time our advice doesn't mean squat when it comes down to it - If the GM is difficult to deal with then forcing a deal probably wont get you anywhere. In fact it will probably hurt you both now and in the future. Targeting a player like Tavares however will cost you a bit of an overpay but i wouldn't make a deal just because.
    Perhaps move on and target someone of similar quality and get him for a less inflated price and deal with a less difficult GM.
    You do have some nice young players that would perhaps land you an upgrade.
    13 Team Keeper (keep 6), Weekly H2H, Dress 6 F, 4 D, 2 G's. 1G, 1A, GW2 SO2

F: Tavares, Eichel, Hall, Schenn, Arvidson, Miller, Bertuzzi
    D: Karlsson, Pionk, Hronek, Trouba, Schmidt
    Goalies: Dubnyk, Bishop,Griess

If this guy is so rigid in his ways, I don't even think I'd bother to be honest. I don't think trying to acquire Tavares is worth mortgaging your entire crop of young and promising players for. I'm a big Tavares fan - watched him play with the Gens a few years back before he had his record-breaking season in Oshawa. Being close to your league's cap maximum is the other manager's problem, not yours. I think if you were to deal a package of Nichushkin-Barkov-Drouin and quite possibly more (you said the other manager expects overpayment), you'll end up with Tavares, but a severely depleted group of youngsters. Not sure that your high picks for this coming draft would make up for potentially losing talents like Nichushkin-Barkov-Drouin.

Reminds me of a manager in my keeper league who had similar characteristics. In the end, he isolated himself out of our league because his expectations were so high for his guys and no offer was ever good enough. Not saying managers should have to accept discounts, but when a manager is completely uncompromising in their views, they usually find it difficult to make transactions via trade.

Marshall, for an outsiders perspective, I think you are bang on here on your perception of this GM. There are some good rookies available in our pool this summer, Monahan, Hertl etc. , so I think I could replace a Barkov, Nich, Hubs, almost instantly with the picks I have going into this draft. I know Tavares is a center piece on any one's team, but I am not willing to deal any more thans those three and maybe a pick. He has already complained to me about the inability with our pool structure to make trades, but with him it boils down to his over valued perceptions of players that he picked in the inaugural draft, and free agency. I think if he laughs at my offer then I will look to compile some more draft picks and see what I can poach from FA in the off season and continue my rebuild that way.

Thanks for eveyones opinions/suggestions!!

Picks :

Dobber Sports Guru

Keep us up to date on what he finally trades Tavares for.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

There has been an interesting turn of events. I. Offered the GM Hubs, Barkov, and Nich and he said he'd be interested if he were rebuilding. I turned around and offered him either Perry or Getzlaf + Nich and he said he might be interested in that offer. His response really caught me off guard! I'm not holding my breath but who knows, he may jist take it. Stay tuned........

Picks :

Think the second offer benefits you more, especially in a rebuilding phase. Good luck.

The offer was declined by the GM. In all honestly, i think he was just blowing smoke the whole time. While I am disappointed i'm also okay with this decision because I have some good players to carry me through my rebuild.

Picks :