Thread: Helenius being bought out by TB

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Helenius being bought out by TB

https://twitter.com/LightningTimes/s...07777527341056

Riku Helenius - No. 15 overall draft pick in 2006 - on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating contract. Played 7 NHL minutes.
    Not sure how I missed this but the info came out a couple days ago.

Kinda surprised by this move but maybe this was initiated by Helenius and simply wanted to go play back in Europe or something.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Default Re: Helenius being bought out by TB

I say it was initiated by the awesomeness of a certain Latvian goalie...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Helenius' numbers have been terrible since returning from Europe. Not much hope there to move up the ladder. Although (that Latvian guy whose name I can't spell)'s play might have pushed him over the edge.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Also might be connected to some deadline deals. I believe the Bolts were at 49 of the max 50 contracts before this buyout, so they may have wanted a little more wiggle room if they are entertaining package offers for a certain big named little guy...or for someone else unrelated to that hype.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    LOL! I am not sure if that was the nail in the coffin or not but it certainly helped. Helenius hasnt been playing much in the AHL this year anyways behind Desjardins and Gudlevskis. Ole Gud wasnt really playing overly well in Syracuse pre-Olympics. In his last 9 games heading into Sochi, he went t 4-4-1 with a 2.89 GAA, a .888 SV%. Nothing really special there. Allen York was recently called up from their ECHL team as well so that tells you how comfy the Crunch were with their goalie situation the past few weeks.

Doing a little more digging into the situation, apparently he was bought out because he refused a demotion to the ECHL.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Does this have anything to do with Vasilevski? Who might just be in the NHL when the KHL season ends

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    Does this have anything to do with Vasilevski? Who might just be in the NHL when the KHL season ends
    Yeah, I am surprised it took this long for someone to mention Vasilevski in this, or any, thread about young TB goaltenders.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Decision to terminate Helenius contract really had nothing to do with Gudlevskis, but more to do with the organization being displeased with Helenius overall.

For more info, checkout Helenius' updated Dobber Prospects profile.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Decision to terminate Helenius contract really had nothing to do with Gudlevskis, but more to do with the organization being displeased with Helenius overall.

Plus I am sure the fact they were paying him a one-way, NHL level paid contract for a guy who was heading to the ECHL had a little something to do with it too.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post

Agreed that Latvian kid is about 4th in line in T.B. Helenius just simply sucks
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Plus I am sure the fact they were paying him a one-way, NHL level paid contract for a guy who was heading to the ECHL had a little something to do with it too.
    You're right, it was reported TB saved around $160,000 by going ahead and terminating his contract.