Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Wow dude that's super duper clever, how long did it take you to dig that one up?! Oh my how emasculated and chastised I feel from your brilliant pre-teen wit! You sir are a jackass.
    What were we arguing about? Uhhhh I don't care anymore. Truce?

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    From what I've read, the coaching staff did not want MSL. That makes the decision for Yzerman pretty easy, IMO.

And I'm not concerned with MSL's NHL statistics. Yzerman's job was to put together the best team, and not necessarily select the players with the best individual statistics.
    The coaching staff, Babcock explained, had one of six votes, with the management team led by Steve Yzerman holding the other five. Only this time around, when it came to St. Louis, they were in unanimous agreement he should be the replacement.
    “We didn’t have to vote at all; everyone just said St. Louis is the guy,” Babcock said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16755763/

Dobber Sports Giant

Yzerman's job was to put together the best team, and not necessarily select the players with the best individual statistics.
    AMEN brother!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

Chris Nichols tweeted- Three different NHL sources tell @StapeNewsday that Martin St. Louis requested a trade last month. #TBLightning
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Hehe, I know. My point in this if you look at all of my posts in this thread is that I do not believe St.Louis demanded a trade based solely on his omission from Team Canada's initial selection. IF he did indeed ask to be moved, there has got to be something bigger bothering him. IF he did AND it was simply because he was left out, than I don't give him any merit for the reasons that I listed previously. Hence why I said that he could have thrown a hissy fit had it been a top 12 Canadian playmaker/sniper selection.
    i think that people have very unrealistic expectations of these guys at the end of the day he is still human

he has been told his whole life he wouldn't make it he couldn't make it he was too small he was too this too that and he overcame all of that and did it anyway, to think that all of that didn't leave him overly sensitive to criticism or with a chip on his shoulder or however you want to call it is to expect more out of him than what we should

he was just told he wasn't good enough yet again and i am sure that it hurt him probably in a way we can't even imagine not have been subjected to what he has been subjected to

again i just think that people think because they have 'super-human' talent they should also be above all of the petty things the rest of us regular humans fret about and that is simply asking too much at the end of the day they are just human

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

From what I've read, the coaching staff did not want MSL. That makes the decision for Yzerman pretty easy, IMO.

And I'm not concerned with MSL's NHL statistics. Yzerman's job was to put together the best team, and not necessarily select the players with the best individual statistics.
    i am not sure i understand what you are saying here to be honest

are you saying that MSL shouldn't care because you don't

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    this is likely MSL's last chance to be in an Olympics and putting him on the team wouldn't have just been because of seniority or sentimental reasons, it's not a matter of he was one of the best players when he played, he currently is one of the best players and has been for the last several seasons

the idea that perhaps the team would have lost by taking MSL or might lose in the future because MSL was taken and someone else didn't get their feet wet is preposterous so there really is no legitimate reason for him to have been excluded

if he is older and his skills are slipping i can see excluding him and not giving into sentimentality, but there is no reason that his seniority should not have been respected given the talent level that goes along with it
    Sorry for quoting something a few pages back but I agree with this. You have 14fwd spots. I get the whole "how does he fit" argument but you're looking at the reigning art ross trophy winner, probably the most respected active veteran in the league, can play both wings, was snubbed in 2010, and by no means is a one dimensional player. I think u take him out of respect. If you only get 13 forwards fine maybe not but overlooking him when u get two extras was not cool and he had every right to be upset.

I bet regardless what happens though, everything is fine now that he ended up with a gold medal.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Sage

“I’ve had conversations with Steve about my future with the team and I’ll leave it at that,” St. Louis said.

That sounds like a guy who want's to get moved!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Wow. If this is true, my opinion of MSL will take a nose-dive........demanding a trade just because you weren't originally selected for the Olypic team is extremely unprofessional, considering the TBL sign his paycheques and are his employer. Even though Stevie Y didn't take him first time around, St. Louis has no right to disrupt the team that he is supposed to be Captaining, just because of a Hockey Canada snub....I honestly expect much more from MSL, this seems very petty.

It's not like the Lightning suck, and he wasnts to go to a contender......Tampa is a playoff team looking at home ice advantage, and their best player returns in a week's time. Terrible timing and a really selfish move IMO, especially coming from the team captain.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Padawan

Looks like more people are confirming that MSL wants out.

Sam Carchidi
    ‏@BroadStBull
    Marty St. Louis has requested a trade from the #Lightning, Newsday confirmed.

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/stat...33100072574978

Dobber Sports Giant

i think that people have very unrealistic expectations of these guys at the end of the day he is still human

he has been told his whole life he wouldn't make it he couldn't make it he was too small he was too this too that and he overcame all of that and did it anyway, to think that all of that didn't leave him overly sensitive to criticism or with a chip on his shoulder or however you want to call it is to expect more out of him than what we should

he was just told he wasn't good enough yet again and i am sure that it hurt him probably in a way we can't even imagine not have been subjected to what he has been subjected to

again i just think that people think because they have 'super-human' talent they should also be above all of the petty things the rest of us regular humans fret about and that is simply asking too much at the end of the day they are just human
    I see your point and I agree with what you say to a certain extent. However, he gets paid millions (unlike most of us) to do his job. That pay check carries a lot more responsibilities than just skating up and down the ice. How you behave on and off the ice, with the media and all, are extra little responsibilities that come with the contract of professional athletes.

While I think that you or myself would be angry at our respective bosses for preventing us to participate in an extra curricular workshop that would showcase our skill set and would ''reward'' us for a job well done, I just feel that MSL's demands are not warranted if it be SOLELY because he was initially left off the roster. Now, if there are other reasons brewin' in the background, that may be a different story.

Either way, only time will tell what happens (and why it happened)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Wizard

I see your point and I agree with what you say to a certain extent. However, he gets paid millions (unlike most of us) to do his job. That pay check carries a lot more responsibilities than just skating up and down the ice. How you behave on and off the ice, with the media and all, are extra little responsibilities that come with the contract of professional athletes.
    i disagree completely other millionaires aren't expected to be different from us in this regard why should millionaires who happen to make their money from sports be expected to be different from other millionaires

we don't expect hedge fund managers to act differently

While I think that you or myself would be angry at our respective bosses for preventing us to participate in an extra curricular workshop that would showcase our skill set and would ''reward'' us for a job well done, I just feel that MSL's demands are not warranted if it be SOLELY because he was initially left off the roster. Now, if there are other reasons brewin' in the background, that may be a different story.
    i am sorry but i don't think it is up to us to determine how he should react to something that happened to him that is for him to determine

now we don't have to agree with him but i think the idea that people think less of him for having the same human failings as the rest of us is a bit over the top personally

Messier left the Rangers after being passed over for the coaching job, do I agree with his decision, no not really but at the end of the day it was his decision to make and while i don't agree with it i don't think it tarnishes him that he did

at some point i just think it is unfair for us to say what MSL should and should not be upset about or how he should or shouldn't react to something

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

You have to remember that people are very proud when it comes to their professions, I'm pretty sure if any one of us was questioned about our competency in our professions, you'd be surprised how quickly the feelings of bitterness, defensiveness, and resentment come into play.

Its funny how we always demand to see more personality out of these guys but when something like this happens and one of the players betrays a hint of humanity, people tend to have a hard time dealing with the reaction.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Giant

i disagree completely other millionaires aren't expected to be different from us in this regard why should millionaires who happen to make their money from sports be expected to be different from other millionaires

we don't expect hedge fund managers to act differently

i am sorry but i don't think it is up to us to determine how he should react to something that happened to him that is for him to determine

now we don't have to agree with him but i think the idea that people think less of him for having the same human failings as the rest of us is a bit over the top personally

Messier left the Rangers after being passed over for the coaching job, do I agree with his decision, no not really but at the end of the day it was his decision to make and while i don't agree with it i don't think it tarnishes him that he did

at some point i just think it is unfair for us to say what MSL should and should not be upset about or how he should or shouldn't react to something
    Ya but the point of the matter is he was left out because they had their scorers already selected; which is what MSL is. Is he a better playmaker/sniper than Crosby, Tavares or Stamkos? Can he dish out the body like Kunitz, Benn and Perry when the going gets though? Does he win faceoffs like Toews, Getzlaf and Bergeron? Can he kill penalties like Sharp, and even Nash potentially? Will he gain some valuable experience for the next games from being benched the whole tournament like Duchene? My point is that each player selected had a ''fit'' in that team. St. Louis' abilities were comparable to the 3 big names even if they are centers (Sid, JT and Stamkos) but to a lesser extent.

He was simply left off because his skills were not needed as some other bigger names could carry those responsibilities. It was not the 12 best forwards that were selected, it was the 12 individuals that formed the best group, complimenting each others' abilities to form a unit. IF Marty did not understand that, and his reason for wanting out is SOLELY based on this, then that is unprofessional in my books.

In the end, I'm with you on the whole human/feelings part. Just in this case, unless there are elements that are not brought forward just yet, I feel that those feelings are not warranted in this particular situation.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ya but the point of the matter is he was left out because they had their scorers already selected; which is what MSL is. Is he a better playmaker/sniper than Crosby, Tavares or Stamkos? Can he dish out the body like Kunitz, Benn and Perry when the going gets though? Does he win faceoffs like Toews, Getzlaf and Bergeron? Can he kill penalties like Sharp, and even Nash potentially? Will he gain some valuable experience for the next games from being benched the whole tournament like Duchene? My point is that each player selected had a ''fit'' in that team. St. Louis' abilities were comparable to the 3 big names even if they are centers (Sid, JT and Stamkos) but to a lesser extent.

He was simply left off because his skills were not needed as some other bigger names could carry those responsibilities. It was not the 12 best forwards that were selected, it was the 12 individuals that formed the best group, complimenting each others' abilities to form a unit. IF Marty did not understand that, and his reason for wanting out is SOLELY based on this, then that is unprofessional in my books.

In the end, I'm with you on the whole human/feelings part. Just in this case, unless there are elements that are not brought forward just yet, I feel that those feelings are not warranted in this particular situation.
    arguing that it was the right choice misses the entire part of him being a human being

i am not making a judgment about if he should or should not have been on the team that is imo completely irrelevant

this expectation that he should somehow feel different because we believe that leaving him off was the right choice is what i find baffling

people want him to look at this as a dispassionate observer rather than someone who was actually affected by it

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Giant

arguing that it was the right choice misses the entire part of him being a human being

i am not making a judgment about if he should or should not have been on the team that is imo completely irrelevant

this expectation that he should somehow feel different because we believe that leaving him off was the right choice is what i find baffling

people want him to look at this as a dispassionate observer rather than someone who was actually affected by it
    Not dispassionate, just realistic. If I really really really want something and I busted my chops to get to it, only to be denied because it was given to someone else, I have every right to be angry AT FIRST. Once I'm done punching holes through the wall, I will reflect on things and try to understand the ''why not me'' part of the story. Since you and I both get the ''why'' part here, I'm baffled that St.Louis was not able to see that (IF he was not able to see that). To go ahead and ask to be traded when the dust settled is my issue and why I feel that this situation goes beyond feelings.

Anyways, you have your opinion, I have mine and it's pretty much split across the boards. You made valid arguments and I will agree with you that we are not in his shoes and we do not know how he truly feels, nor is it our place to judge. A thread was started and I simply voiced my disbelief on the fact that St.Louis would ask to be traded SIMPLY because he was left out of the Canadian roster.

No hard ''feelings'' lucifer

Minors: