Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Team Canada is too deep for MSL to be upset. I wouldn't have picked him either, even as the replacement. For big ice, MSL looked even smaller out there. The team was young and big, MSL didn't fit in with them.
    What does his height have to do with it? Big ice = speed and vision, both of which MSL has. I couldn't see an argument for how he didn't "fit" the team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    What does his height have to do with it? Big ice = speed and vision, both of which MSL has. I couldn't see an argument for how he didn't "fit" the team.
    Big ice = skill and hockey sense, which he has, but it's easier for smaller speedier guys to play on small ice IMO. Speed wasn't a huge factor as the games are really slow. He didn't fit in as much as the others who played two-way games and were big, young players. I don't mean he didn't fit as in he couldn't be effective, just that he was different than mostly every other player.

The Great One

If Canada didn't win gold than MSL has a point.....

Now suck it up and go play hockey.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Ok I see your point, but what about Thornton then ?

As I said in this thread, his omission from the initial roster was not a jab at his skill or age. St.Louis is a great playmaker and a good sniper. Is he a better playmaker/sniper than Tavares? Stamkos (initially)? Crosby??? There was just too much firepower on that roster to warrant St.Louis' presence from the get go IMO. That team was BUILT and each player had their respective attributes that were relied upon to win games. If the selections were based on having the top-12 best playmakers/snipers and MSL was left out, then I believe taking a hissy fit would be warranted. In this particular case though, his omission had nothing to do with his abilities per say. There's a huge distinction between an All-Star game and an Olympic Tournament; Finland was the perfect example to illustrate this.
    he didn't throw a hissy fit though

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What about Thornton? Great player, but there was no room at the C position and he isn't the Versatile type of player who can move to the wing. Are you playing Crosby at wing? Nope. Toews? I would have, but Canada wasn't going to. Getzlaf can't play wing. And Tavares-Bergeron was gonna be your fourth C, who play a much different game than Thornton. Plus those guys are versatile enough to go to the wing. Thornton just isn't.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    he didn't throw a hissy fit though
    Hehe, I know. My point in this if you look at all of my posts in this thread is that I do not believe St.Louis demanded a trade based solely on his omission from Team Canada's initial selection. IF he did indeed ask to be moved, there has got to be something bigger bothering him. IF he did AND it was simply because he was left out, than I don't give him any merit for the reasons that I listed previously. Hence why I said that he could have thrown a hissy fit had it been a top 12 Canadian playmaker/sniper selection.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Pro

Man up and write actual words, nobody wants to get gif replies here. It makes YOU look like the "moron".
    Tough guys talk tough on the internet!! Seriously though, typically my reactions to the nonsense you post can only be described with a good gif. You might not enjoy them, but other members do, quite a bit in fact...and now you know how a lot of people feel when they read your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I know right? I haven't decided yet if he's a 14 yr old boy who spends all his time on 9gag or just some feebleminded imbecile who never learned to speak properly. Either way, he contributes nothing of value to these boards.
    It's funny you throw out some insults a 14-year-old boy would say. So my counter is...."your breathe stinks and you're mother doesn't love you."

Also, had no idea what 9gag was, but thanks for mentioning it, now I have yet another place to look up my gifs. Can't wait to continue contributing nothing of value to these boards!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

You called me a moron (through gif) for this:

St. Louis wasn't wanted by team canada, the guy who just won the art Ross. Think about that.

A perfectly intelligent statement by me.

Please tell me what is more nonsense.

Dobber Sports Pro

A perfectly intelligent statement by me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Tough guys talk tough on the internet!! Seriously though, typically my reactions to the nonsense you post can only be described with a good gif. You might not enjoy them, but other members do, quite a bit in fact...and now you know how a lot of people feel when they read your posts.

It's funny you throw out some insults a 14-year-old boy would say. So my counter is...."your breathe stinks and you're mother doesn't love you."

Also, had no idea what 9gag was, but thanks for mentioning it, now I have yet another place to look up my gifs. Can't wait to continue contributing nothing of value to these boards!!

Wow, the jackwad managed to find his words! And big surprise, not a damn thing to say. The rest of us are here to talk about hockey, if you can't manage that then **** off back to Facebook and post your lame, tired gifts over there...I'm sure your grandma will think you're just hilarious...people like you are wasting our air

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Wow, the jackwad managed to find his words! And big surprise, not a damn thing to say. The rest of us are here to talk about hockey, if you can't manage that then **** off back to Facebook and post your lame, tired gifts over there...I'm sure your grandma will think you're just hilarious...people like you are wasting our air

Banned

Wow dude that's super duper clever, how long did it take you to dig that one up?! Oh my how emasculated and chastised I feel from your brilliant pre-teen wit!

You sir are a jackass.

Dobber Sports Veteran

What's with everyone coming back from the Olympic break feeling the need to get into silly pissing contests on the boards?! Must be some angry American hockey fans up in here
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Star

Ya never a big fan of msg board battles. Not looking to add to the drama, just gotta say that The Hockey Hitman has been nothing but helpful to me when I threw some PM's his way regarding Hedman and St. Louis, which I appreciate.

Back to St. Louis, if for some reason he IS dealt, what would happen to his production? I can't see a better situation than in TB, so I for one am hoping that he stays put. I'd be surprised if he is dealt, but none of us really know what goes on behind closed doors.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    this is likely MSL's last chance to be in an Olympics and putting him on the team wouldn't have just been because of seniority or sentimental reasons, it's not a matter of he was one of the best players when he played, he currently is one of the best players and has been for the last several seasons

the idea that perhaps the team would have lost by taking MSL or might lose in the future because MSL was taken and someone else didn't get their feet wet is preposterous so there really is no legitimate reason for him to have been excluded

if he is older and his skills are slipping i can see excluding him and not giving into sentimentality, but there is no reason that his seniority should not have been respected given the talent level that goes along with it
    From what I've read, the coaching staff did not want MSL. That makes the decision for Yzerman pretty easy, IMO.

And I'm not concerned with MSL's NHL statistics. Yzerman's job was to put together the best team, and not necessarily select the players with the best individual statistics.