Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

It's been a bit of an emotional time as a TB diehard the past 12 hr's or so...hoping it's not true and it's not Marty saying he wants out of TB. If so that would really be a dagger to the heart to TB fans. I must admit I believe there is some truth to the rumors, as when he had a chance today he didn't squash the rumors but was very vague. Not saying anything will happen but at this point I have accepted it as a reality which is a big step for me lol

Ultimately, it's all speculation at this point so all I have to say for now.

Dobber Sports Sage

Sometimes in life work environments become uninhabitable. I don't see why that would be any different for a millionaire or John Doe working at G.M. If he doesn't want to be there anymore because he feels his boss let him down I don't have a problem with it. This is on Yzerman imo.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

if he wants out then sure Yzerman should level some blame, but if he only wants to go to one team, that's on him and that's a cheap Dany Heatley move.

Dobber Sports Stud

Stamkos said all the right things in his interview yesterday when asked about the possibility of MSL leaving but man his body language spoke louder than his words. Did you see the smile on his face? He did not seem to care one bit.

It may actually work out for the best to turn the page on MSL. Sure he will be remembered for all he has done for the Lightning and I find it a shame that he is moving on in this matter but it appears time to hand the "C" and the team over to Stamkos.

On a side note, does anyone find it strange that Marty has played for 13 seasons in Tampa but yet his wife and sons live in CT. Pierre McGuire (who lives not from from Marty in CT) says he runs into him from time to time at the rink where Marty's sons play hockey and he feels Marty may want to play closer to his home in CT so he can be closer to his sons' hockey. They have three kids together, sons Ryan (10), Lucas (8), and Mason (5).
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    if he wants out then sure Yzerman should level some blame, but if he only wants to go to one team, that's on him and that's a cheap Dany Heatley move.
    Hehe, still a bit of sour grapes there, eh Big Ev? As a form a consolation, his career went waayyyyyyyy south after that trade!

PS: getting back to this thread; how happy would you be if Marty actually became a Sen in a week or so ?!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

It will be interesting to see if Marty sticks to his NYR only stance. You can be sure Yzerman is getting calls from multiple teams but with his no trade clause, Marty holds all the chips.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I agree with this. If he wants out he should at least give Yzerman 5 teams to negotiate with. Giving him only 1 is tying his arms and if that was the case I would tell him to pound sand!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Ya I would lol, but not gonna happen

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't get any of this. I know St. Louis is a great player, but Canada is an absolute powerhouse, and no one is entitled to be on that team. If they make it, wonderful, if not, well it's a hard lineup to crack.
    Team Canada would have won without St. Louis. It was the enviable mix of skill, size and defensive play that won the day. The way they could lean on teams along the boards in the offensive zone was a huge boon, and St. Louis does not bring that to the table.
    If this is all about St. Louis feeling slighted by Yzerman for being left off the team, that's disappointing. There are plenty of other Canadians who wish they could have made that team.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

IF all of this is true about St. Louis (and I'm still a bit of a skeptic), then it's disappointing, but he's within his right to determine where he wants to play. I'll admit that this "story" coming to light right after the Olympics conclude is a bit odd in terms of timing, but I could understand if St. Louis feels that he should move on to another destination. I was quite surprised that the Art Ross winner from last year wasn't named to Team Canada in the first place, but the depth for this team is utterly ridiculous. I even found myself wondering if St. Louis felt slighted at Ed Snider's moronic comments claiming that Giroux was, "better than half the guys on that team" and expressed such outrage at St. Louis being taken in Stamkos' absence. Maybe St. Louis wasn't thrilled that Yzerman didn't fire back and defend him - who knows?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    I even found myself wondering if St. Louis felt slighted at Ed Snider's moronic comments claiming that Giroux was, "better than half the guys on that team" and expressed such outrage at St. Louis being taken in Stamkos' absence. Maybe St. Louis wasn't thrilled that Yzerman didn't fire back and defend him - who knows?
    Why would MSL be offended by what another team's owner said? If anything, he was probably thinking: Damn, at least that owner cares about his guy enough to lash out publicly about his snub. Then again, the whole thing is silly. Yzerman and Canada had the responsibility to select the team and if they decided to not select certain players so be it - they need to grow up and stop whining. Everyone from St. Louis to Snider. The only one who was done dirty was Bobby Ryan because he was humiliated when his game (and weaknesses) were ripped apart publicly.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Why would MSL be offended by what another team's owner said? If anything, he was probably thinking: Damn, at least that owner cares about his guy enough to lash out publicly about his snub. Then again, the whole thing is silly. Yzerman and Canada had the responsibility to select the team and if they decided to not select certain players so be it - they need to grow up and stop whining. Everyone from St. Louis to Snider. The only one who was done dirty was Bobby Ryan because he was humiliated when his game (and weaknesses) were ripped apart publicly.
    I totally agree with this. Ryan has every right to be upset at the way his situation was handled. St. Louis? He didn't initially get selected to one of the most dominant teams the sport has seen. Get over yourself. Yzerman brought two gold medals home with the teams he selected. He did his job.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Then again, the whole thing is silly. Yzerman and Canada had the responsibility to select the team and if they decided to not select certain players so be it - they need to grow up and stop whining. Everyone from St. Louis to Snider. The only one who was done dirty was Bobby Ryan because he was humiliated when his game (and weaknesses) were ripped apart publicly.
    +1 for this

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I totally agree with this. Ryan has every right to be upset at the way his situation was handled. St. Louis? He didn't initially get selected to one of the most dominant teams the sport has seen. Get over yourself. Yzerman brought two gold medals home with the teams he selected. He did his job.
    Yup, the mandate was to win gold; not to please the public, let alone to recognize one of his current stars. Yzerman was the GM of Team Canada, not the Tampa Bay GM, when he helped make those roster choices. Team Canada was a perfectly constructed puzzle and sadly, MSL did not fit in it. His omission had nothing to do with his talent, but with the fact that the league's top 3 players: Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares (arguably) could already offer what St.Louis would bring to the team.

I had a good exchange with lucifer earlier in this post and he is right about the emotional part of things; whereas St.Louis is human and he is allowed to be disappointed from being left out (I'm not sure though that this is the only reason he wants out of TB). It's a difficult situation right now, because we are all basing our judgments on what has been made public. When (and if) the full story is presented, our views on St.Louis' character could be warranted.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

The guy is a human being who has feelings. I don't blame him at all.

I worked at a place where once you hit 5 years, they had a little presentation at one of their big Conferences, recognizing your time and highlighting some of the things you've done in that time. Not a huge deal, but a nice gesture that was accompanied by a cheque (a small one mind you, nothing major). When my 5 years came up, they ran through the list of names and I kept expecting to be up there. The thing is, my direct supervisor just totally forgot.

In the grand scheme of things it didn't matter too much, but I remember feeling very slighted by it, and it was just another piece of not feeling valued by the company. Within a year I was off and working somewhere else.

St Louis has been there 15 years, has been a top player in the league for much of that time, and has been disrespected for his skill and ability almost that entire time. He gets passed over at the last Olympics. Fine, that happens. These Olympics are his very last chance to have a crack at a gold medal. He's a brilliant player and his own GM is part of the process of picking the team. To say that I would be a little hurt by being passed over would be an understatement.

When you spend so much of your life working towards certain goals, feel like you've done everything possible to be recognized for your efforts, and then STILL get passed over, sometimes it's the final straw and time to go elsewhere. He didn't make it public, and since the team was the one that gave him the no-trade contract, he has every right to say that if they trade him (which he wants), then he wants to go wherever he bloody well feels like.

Good on St Louis. Even though, in isolation, his reasons might seem somewhat petty, when you put it in context with his "little guy" image, his age, what he's accomplished, and Yzerman's role on the team, it makes complete sense to me that he would react that way.

Hopefully he gets what he wants and does very well wherever he gets traded. He's earned it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I understand "some" blame being on Yzerman (like very little, he didn't leave St. Louis off Team Latvia, he left him off one of the statistically most dominant teams ever), but at the end of the day St. Louis was on the team and won a gold medal. That should fix everything. I like St. Louis, and respect him as a player, but he is showing an extreme lack of character right now, especially handcuffing Tampa Bay with his single team trade request. A lot of players had to check their ego for that team, St. Louis is showing that his ego is more important than anything else. At this point, I'd have to think Yzerman would be better to wait until the draft than to trade him at the deadline. The package might not be any better, but it wont be any worse, and maybe you can get St. Louis to soften on his only NYR stance. Even adding in the Islanders would at least give Yzerman a modicum of bargaining power.