Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Marty St. Louis believed to have asked for a trade

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    You know when I take a step back and look at Marty, some of this makes sense. He does have a lot of pride and it seems in a lot of interviews he keeps making reference about what he has had to overcome to make and succeed in the NHL ie. not being drfated, coming out of college ( Univ. of Vermont ) not known for producing NHLers, small stature etc. It seems like he still has that underdog, so-you-don't-think-I'm-good-enough, I'll show you attitude.

I recently read ( and yes this is only speculation ) that he said he would never play for the Habs when they were interested in acquiring him because they refused to give him a tryout years ago.

Anyway we will know in the next few weeks how this all plays out.
    Interesting if this is true about MSL. Looking back at the Olympics, Yzerman had a vision for Team Canada (big, cycling, puck possession) and you can see how MSL would not fit into this. In the games against the US and Sweden arguably our most effective line was Getzlaf-Perry-Benn, who kept the puck deep in the offensive zone and wore down both opponents' defence. Also, not that we didn't know this already, when you have a guy like JT on the fourth line you know how crazy-deep we are. Normally highly accomplished players like MSL at this stage in their careers are focused on one thing - win the cup. Going to the Rangers to spite Yzerman would be a foolish move as MSL will never win a cup on that shit-show of a team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mark Messier left his job with the Rangers when Sather 'passed over' him for the coaching job and they had about as close of a relationship as people tend to have

never underestimate what hurt feelings will make a person do even one who is thought of as a team guy or a class act or an exemplary leader

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    Mark Messier left his job with the Rangers when Sather 'passed over' him for the coaching job and they had about as close of a relationship as people tend to have

never underestimate what hurt feelings will make a person do even one who is thought of as a team guy or a class act or an exemplary leader
    You'll get no argument from me on that point. Still, it doesn't make sense to ask to be traded to play with Richards when it pretty well guarantees he'll never hoist the cup again. Maybe once is enough.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Those damn double standers
    I love it! Auto correct error or acting like a complete..... You win lmao

I love how the first thread I go to after here and you have a spelling error in the second word. Irony is a bitch!!!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    You'll get no argument from me on that point. Still, it doesn't make sense to ask to be traded to play with Richards when it pretty well guarantees he'll never hoist the cup again. Maybe once is enough.
    i don't disagree with the premise that TB is closer than the Rangers and will only get closer still next year

never underestimate the stupidity of players though, hockey players might not be as dumb as other players in other sports but they are still not the brightest in the world

Richards allegedly left money on the table in a few places because he thought there was a chance in NY by reuniting with Torts he could hoist a cup again

nostalgia can blind players to reality sometimes as much as it does any one else, many Ranger fans thought the same about Richards and Torts and I bet there are plenty who will buy into it if Marty and Brad are reunited

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I love it! Auto correct error or acting like a complete..... You win lmao

I love how the first thread I go to after here and you have a spelling error in the second word. Irony is a bitch!!!
    You're not a very smart cookie, are you?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't think it matters at all. MSL may have asked for a trade when he was first left off of Team Canada, but I highly doubt he gives two shits about it after being added to the team and winning a gold medal. Winning heals all wounds and I see know way he truly wants out of Tampa, and if think there is even less of a chance that Yzerman will trade him. Especially not for much shittier Ryan Callahan.

Dobber Sports Pro

Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Giant

I agree with alot that was said here, but I'm still not sold on the fact that St.Louis would ask for a trade based on him being left out of Team CANADA by his GM.

When you look at the players that were selected over him, only Duchene fit the mold of a St.Louis type player and he was not part of the 12-man forward core. Being younger and all, I can see why Duchene got the nod as he was to be an extra player anyways; may as well give him the experience for the next games when he is a starter.
    MSL is a great playmaker and a good sniper, but there was no need to add him initially when you had so much firepower in the first place. I was against the selection of Carter, Marleau and Nash (I was also one of the few Kunitz supporters though). I felt their abilities would not translate well on the bigger ice surface and a smaller, flashier player like St.Louis could benefit greatly from this type of playing field. I too was disappointed and frustrated when I saw that he was not selected at first. Alas, I was wrong... The players taken over him really got the job done. That being said, I'm just a hockey fan with a fair understanding of a hockey system and team chemistry. You can try to be a bench boss as much as you like, but the hockey minds behind Team CANADA's roster selection knew what was best for the team and selected the best players to fit the game they wanted to play.

There is no doubt Giroux is better than Nash or Neal being a better point producer than Carter or Kunitz for that matter, but when all the pieces where in place, the players selected got that big red machine rolling and made it practically unstoppable. Could other players have made a similar impact? I would be inclined to say yes. However, all we know is that those that were selected were believed to be the ones to make it work and they did just that.

My point in all of this is that IF St.Louis was not pleased by his initial omission from the final cut, he should have understood that it was not because of his lack of skill or his overall talent; it was simply a simply a situation in which what he could bring to the table was not needed as players such as Crosby, Stamkos (initially selected) and Tavares were to be able to take the bulk of the scoring duties on their shoulders alone (didn't really turn out that way but St.Louis did not fare much better).

Requesting a trade out of TB for that reason alone (if it's true) makes me truly question MSL's character. That is why I do not think this story is true or to the very least, it is missing a chunk of other issues related to the matter.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

I've been busy at work so didn't catch this report that MSL is rumoured to have asked for a trade after his initial snub from Team Canada. If true, that would have put a lot of pressure on Steve Yzerman to pick St. Louis when Stamkos was unable to go, and potentially in a conflict of interest so great that he should have removed himself from the decision (possibly he did for all I know). If Team Canada hadn't won gold, then this could have been controversial (well, even more controversial!). Good thing for Yzerman, Team Canada (and Canada) that we won!
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Ace

I doubt the rumour is true. Maybe he said something alluding to a trade in the few hrs after being left off but most probably would retract the sentiment when the initial emotional feeling subsided.

Dobber Sports Stud

Is everyone forgetting that when Stamkos went down and Yzerman went to Marty and said that Team Canada now wanted him, he didn't jump at it. instead telling Yzerman that he'd "have to think about it". I believe he asked for 24 hours or so. Sounds kinda bitter to me.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

HERE is Bob McKenzie's take on the situation.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    HERE is Bob McKenzie's take on the situation.
    Nothing against you, but that article was completely worthless. All questions, no insight whatsoever.

Dobber Sports Stud

I never said there was anything definitive or earthshattering in his article. Just thought you might be interested in Mckenzie's take since he's so respected. Sorry for wasting your time but maybe it's just me but I found the following quotes form the article informative-

"1. Where there is smoke, there is or perhaps has been a little fire. Or, in other words, the two teams would appear to have at least spoken. And spoken is defined as one calling the other to inquire, no more, no less."

"There is reason to believe in the immediate aftermath of his Jan. 7 snub from the Canadian Olympic team, in some form or another, St. Louis indicated to the Bolts he may look favorably on a move out of Tampa."

"While none of the principals were confirming or denying anything in those days and weeks after the initial snub, talk in the NHL community was rife that St. Louis wanted out. There was even talk – again, nothing with an absolute confirmation -- that the only place St. Louis would waive his No Move Clause for was the New York Rangers. His off-season home is just outside NYC, in Connecticut."

I don't think that someone like McKenzie would waste two seconds on this if he didn't think it was newsworthy to the extend of at least acknowleging that there is some truth to at least part of the rumours, otherwise he would have shot it down and said move on.
    Anyway it looks like the sides couldn't come to an agreement so we can all move on.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher