Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympics name Tournament best players

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Olympics name Tournament best players

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=706165

Canada goaltender Carey Price, who posted back-to-back shutouts in the semifinals and gold-medal game at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, was named the best goaltender at the tournament as voted by the International Ice Hockey Federation directorate.

Price finished the Olympics with a shutout streak of 164 minutes, 19 seconds. The last goal he allowed was to Latvia's Lauris Darzins with 4:19 remaining in the first period of the quarterfinals. He made 31 saves in a 1-0 blanking of the United States in the semifinal and 24 saves against Sweden in a 3-0 win in the gold-medal game Sunday.

The Montreal Canadiens goaltender finished the tournament with a 5-0 record, a 0.59 goals-against average and .972 save percentage. He allowed three goals on 106 shots.

The IIHF named Sweden's Erik Karlsson the tournament's best defenseman. He led all players at his position and tied for the tournament lead with eight points, and his four goals tied for the lead among defensemen. The Ottawa Senators defenseman also led Sweden in goals, assists (four) and plus/minus rating (plus-5).

United States forward Phil Kessel, who tied Karlsson with eight points, was named the tournament's best forward by the IIHF. Kessel's five goals tied Austria's Michael Grabner for the Olympic lead.

In voting conducted by media covering the Olympics, Finland forward Teemu Selanne was named the tournament's most valuable player. The 43-year-old led his team with four goals, including a pair against the U.S. in Finland's 5-0 win in the bronze-medal game. Selanne became the oldest player in Olympic hockey history to score a goal and the oldest to win an Olympic hockey medal.

Selanne also was named to the All-Tournament team as selected by the media. He was joined by Kessel and Selanne's Olympic teammate Mikael Granlund; defensemen Karlsson and Drew Doughty of Canada; and Sweden goaltender Henrik Lundqvist.

Granlund had a team-best seven points in six games for Finland and was tied for third in the tournament in scoring. Doughty led Canada and tied for the lead among tournament defensemen with four goals; his six points tied for the team lead. Lundqvist played every minute in goal for Sweden and allowed nine goals on 159 shots. He finished with a 1.50 GAA, .943 save percentage and two shutouts. Lundqvist was the only goaltender to play 100 percent of his team's minutes at the Olympics.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Olympics name Tournament best players

Pretty solid selections actually, and I like the Selanne selection for MVP. One could argue that Price/Doughty/Karlsson could get the MVP but I think the committee got every selection right here.

Well done Granlund - solid tournament. This kid is about to take the next step.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Can't argue with any of these. Great choices! Especially love the Selanne for MVP......classy selection befitting of a classy player that will be greatly missed when he hangs them up.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Sage

Kessel should not have won best forward and Karlsson should not have won best defenseman. Selanee and Price were good choices
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Kessel should not have won best forward and Karlsson should not have won best defenseman. Selanee and Price were good choices
    I love how you just throw this out there and don't even offer alternatives. Kessel and Karlsson were both the leading scorers at their position. Karlsson was Sweden's best player by a mile. Kessel was dominant.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I love how you just throw this out there and don't even offer alternatives. Kessel and Karlsson were both the leading scorers at their position. Karlsson was Sweden's best player by a mile. Kessel was dominant.
    Kessel scored 5 goals in the tournament in 6 games and all of them came against the 2 worst opponents he faced, nuff said. There are 10 forwards who deserve it more. Karlsson was great but both Doughty and Weber were better.

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Kessel deserved it. Other than the Bronze game (which was a total write off for the entire team), Kessel looked dangerous in every game (including Canada and your precious Russians).

So did Karlsson who put up BIG numbers and scored clutch goals with a lot less help than Doughty and Weber had.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Kessel deserved it. Other than the Bronze game (which was a total write off for the entire team), Kessel looked dangerous in every game (including Canada and your precious Russians).

So did Karlsson who put up BIG numbers and scored clutch goals with a lot less help than Doughty and Weber had.
    Karlsson is arguable, Kessel is not. He had 1 secondary assist in the medal round. It doesn't matter how "dangerous" he looked, he failed to produce at all in the 3 games that mattered

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Banned

Kessel scored 5 goals in the tournament in 6 games and all of them came against the 2 worst opponents he faced, nuff said. There are 10 forwards who deserve it more. Karlsson was great but both Doughty and Weber were better.
    Name the 10 forwards. I'm waiting.

Dobber Sports Sage

Every forward on team Canada! Your becoming funny to me. I would bet my life against $1 if Ovechkin did the exact same thing you would be shitting down his throat right now

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Ninja

Karlsson is arguable, Kessel is not. He had 1 secondary assist in the medal round. It doesn't matter how "dangerous" he looked, he failed to produce at all in the 3 games that mattered
    Well, Crosby wasn't much better with only 1 goal in the medal round... I guess he was shit too then?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Well, Crosby wasn't much better with only 1 goal in the medal round... I guess he was shit too then?

No because when Crosby isn't scoring he contributes in other ways Kessel doe's not.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Banned

Every forward on team Canada! Your becoming funny to me. I would bet my life against $1 if Ovechkin did the exact same thing you would be shitting down his throat right now
    I'm a Canadian Sens fan. What reason do I have to defend Kessel?

How could every forward on Team Canada have been a better player than him this tourney?

Kessel scored, Ovechkin did not.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'm a Canadian Sens fan. What reason do I have to defend Kessel?

How could every forward on Team Canada have been a better player than him this tourney?

Kessel scored, Ovechkin did not.
    Because I watch Kessel every night and he is an elite scorer but if he isn't scoring or setting up goals he adds nothing of value to his team what so ever. He plays with 0 physical edge, doesn't draw penalty's and is way below average defensively. In the medal round when it matter he didn't do anything so I don't see how you can award him the best forward of the tournament.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Legend

Kessel was the best American player without a doubt and Karlsson was spectacular. Price was also outstanding and deserved Tournament MVP.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka