Thread: I have to trade Tavares - which offer to take?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default I have to trade Tavares - which offer to take?

I am running away with my pool but with a lot of jelly beans on the line it's too risky to ride it out without making a move.

I am considering two offers:

1 - pacioretty, hossa, hjalmarsson for Tavares & zuccarello
    2 - voracek, Roy, goligoski & m smith for Tavares, de Haan, gustavsson

League details (not my signature team):

1 FP for G,A, +/-, PPA, SHA. 2FP for PPG, SHG, GWG

Tavares can be kept for 1 more year, so although I would love to keep him, it's just not worth the risk of being caught from behind. In the scenarios above I could keep Hossa for 2 more years or voracek for 1 more year. None of the other players would crack my top 6 keepers.

Appreciate any thoughts before I pull the trigger on one of these later tonight

Thx
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

The Wolverine

Default Re: I have to trade Tavares - which offer to take?

Neither. Those are poor offers IMO. Unless you get a much better deal, which I would consider given you can only keep him next year, then you stand pat, do what you can without him (especially with a good lead at the top, as you say) and try to win next year with him. Don't make a panic deal and think you cannot win without him.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Although I agree those are poor offers, I disagree on the stand pat scenario. I think the OP is correct in that he should be trading Tavares now (essentially sending him to a team for 1 year) for a return that will solidify his victory THIS season, especially if the jellybeans are significant. Don't take the chance that you get caught because you want 1 more year of Tavares; that doesn't seem worth the risk.

Try shopping around for a better offer.

If I had to pick one, I would pick the second offer. Your top 6F remain strong without Tavares, so look to upgrade D and G probably gives you the best results. I would try to remove Roy from the second offer and get a better D than Goligoski. Smith is good for G.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Although I agree those are poor offers, I disagree on the stand pat scenario. I think the OP is correct in that he should be trading Tavares now (essentially sending him to a team for 1 year) for a return that will solidify his victory THIS season, especially if the jellybeans are significant. Don't take the chance that you get caught because you want 1 more year of Tavares; that doesn't seem worth the risk.

Try shopping around for a better offer.

If I had to pick one, I would pick the second offer. Your top 6F remain strong without Tavares, so look to upgrade D and G probably gives you the best results. I would try to remove Roy from the second offer and get a better D than Goligoski. Smith is good for G.
    I should clarify that I did say 'unless you get a better deal' before suggesting standing pat. It could definitely be worth it if the right deal comes along but if not and depending on the lead (he said he's running away with it) then maybe he could still win without him. Also, there's no guarantee he'll win with him accepting either of those deals (OP can clarify the lead) so it may hurt even more next year. One more year is still one more year and a lot can happen, so having him next season could be even more valuable than this one.

Disclosure: I don't play in keepers so feel free to take advice with a grain of salt. But thought I'd try to help anyway. I just don't like possible panic deals when it may not actually be the case.

The Great One

I also find it completely amazing that those are the two best deals you have been able to negotiate. Have you made it known that JT is available?

And have you tried countering ether of those deals?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks guys. I try to keep the posts brief...too much background can be tough to digest - but I love the dobber forums because posters insist on having all the background to provide the best advice possible. Here are some more details:

My current lead is 166 pts. Approx 10-15% of my total points. It's a very solid lead. One that could likely hold up even without making a deal. BUT first place could pay about $1300. I'd prefer to lock that down if possible. The other factor to consider is the aggressiveness in this league both for contending teams to load up for stretch run and for teams that are out of it to load up on draft picks etc for next year. The odds of contending in back to back seasons is very slim when my opposition might have 8 picks in the first 3 rounds. Even more incentive to lock down the victory while I can...

As for the 2nd offer, I have price and hiller in goal so smith would be insurance on my bench, and not sure if goligoski would get into my lineup over Suter, Campbell, krug, josi, Barrie and m green. At best he's a marginal upgrade.

Hossa on the other hand is actually out scoring Tavares in our format (thanks mostly to a +26 rating)

Thanks again for the input, love to hear some more

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

The Great One

$1300? I've changed my mind - I'd take the Hossa offer lol (but I would see if I could squeeze a little extra out of that offer).

That fact that you can also keep Hossa for two years (whereas JT and Voracek are only good for one year) also leans me in that direction.

Good luck. And with this advice I only expect a 10 per cent cut :P

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, the fact that it's such a huge payout, I would absolutely try to lock it down and sacrifice a year of Tavares regardless of your lead.

I was assuming you start 2G, but you only count the top one, so Smith is less valuable; although I would still like some backup to Markstrom and Lehner because if Fleury goes down, you're in big trouble.

You convinced me on Hossa being an excellent upgrade, but does Pacioretty fit into the picture at all? If not, remove him and try to get a better defensemen and an insurance goaltender. I don't know if there's anything to do with prospects in your league, but maybe add Markstrom to get back a decent goaltender as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I still don't like either trade. Regardless if you save money or not, I know there is a better trade out there for you.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Ya, the fact that it's such a huge payout, I would absolutely try to lock it down and sacrifice a year of Tavares regardless of your lead.

I was assuming you start 2G, but you only count the top one, so Smith is less valuable; although I would still like some backup to Markstrom and Lehner because if Fleury goes down, you're in big trouble.

You convinced me on Hossa being an excellent upgrade, but does Pacioretty fit into the picture at all? If not, remove him and try to get a better defensemen and an insurance goaltender. I don't know if there's anything to do with prospects in your league, but maybe add Markstrom to get back a decent goaltender as well.
    This is not the league in my signature. That league keeps players forever and I have already decided to keep JT even though it will probably cost me my 2nd place finish. Losing him for many years is not worth selling low on him at this point. My D &G situation in my big money league is described in my previous post.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for all the opinions. I am still leaning towards making one of these deals but based on your help I am going to hold off for another week - to see if I can work out a better deal, and to see if I can maintain my lead and possibly hang on to JT AND win my damn league!

Any last thoughts on hossa for next year? He's getting up there in age, think he can hang in the 70ish point range?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Shop him around and make it WIDELY KNOWN that you already have offers on the table but will consider all reasonable offers.

I am sure someone who's already out of the running will make a better offer, but if worse come to worst, take the Maxpac/Hossa deal.

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't like those deals at all and would as blaze said shop him around you will get a better return than that!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.