Thread: First Rounders Traded at Deadline

I...am your father.

Default First Rounders Traded at Deadline

Great article in the latest Hockey News by Matt Larkin looking at deadlines since 2006 and each of the first-rounders that were dealt. The moral of the story - go ahead and deal 'em.

26 first rounders traded. Of the players who were picked:

4 Great: Pacioretty, Varlamov, Ennis, Perron
    4 Good: Palmieri, Sbisa, Backlund, Lewis
    13 Jury still out
    5 Bad: Tikhonov, Blum, Leveille, Plante, Gillies
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: First Rounders Traded at Deadline

I haven't seen the story, but I'm guessing most of the teams that dealt first rounders were contending teams. That means the majority of those picks were probably in the 20s, where it becomes more of a guessing game of how guys are going to turn out.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yep. End of the first round is on another universe compared to the top 5 or so picks. Most of the traded picks are near the end.

Administrator

It would behove GMs to push for acquiring picks two-three years ahead. It may not work out for you but it's better to take the chance and have this potential lottery ticket down the road than some pick you know won't be all that valuable. That doesn't make for good optics or provide anything tangible in the short-term so it's a slim chance any GM would do it. Also, it's unlikely the opponent (if smart) would go for it. Something tells me you could get a future 1st out of Lou Lamorello though. That guy loves to put off payment.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg