Thread: Travis Konecny

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Travis Konecny

Konecny seems to be having himself a tremendous 1st OHL season, posting 62 points in 52 games so far. I'd be curious to hear some scouting reports on him from someone who has had a chance to watch him play live. How do you think he stacks up against the 2015 draft class, is he right there with McDavid, Eichel, and Barzal or a step below?
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Travis Konecny

I know BRoss mentioned him a couple times in the prospect open thread as per a couple users requests. I believe I remember him saying konecny has a super fierce compete level and great vision. I'll link it if I can find it.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    I know BRoss mentioned him a couple times in the prospect open thread as per a couple users requests. I believe I remember him saying konecny has a super fierce compete level and great vision. I'll link it if I can find it.
    Thanks for the reply! I have read the prospect threads you've mentioned, looking for additional feedback as well. Another two points for Konecny last night against the London Knights, supposedly his goal was pretty good.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Konecny with a SO goal for the win in most recent game. Here's some tidbits from BRoss and a few others around the web...

Drafted first overall at the 2013 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Travis Konecny of the Ottawa 67’s is proving that he was worthy of such a lofty selection. Watching this kid shoot is fun folks!

https://twitter.com/RossyYoungblood/...09023795146753

https://twitter.com/RossyYoungblood/...70873826279424

Looking ahead, Travis Konecny is a player to keep tabs on for the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. His shot and ability to attack aggressively is right up there with Phil Kessel and he’s enjoying an outstanding rookie season in the OHL after being selected 1st overall last April. Konecny was named January’s OHL Rookie of the Month for January. The award has been handed out four times this season and Konecny has won three of the four.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncateg...tening-future/
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    G-Varlamov
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg

Dobber Sports Padawan

And here is the excerpt from Ross' writeup prior to the OHL draft last year:

https://thescoutingbureau.wordpress....lection-draft/

Travis Konecny of the Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs displayed his elite offensive skill during the 2013 OHL Cup (Photo by Brendan Ross/The Scouting Bureau)

Regardless of Day’s admirable skating back, Travis Konecny will become the first overall selection of the 2013 OHL Priority Selection draft and he is certainly deserving of the honour. Under the watchful eye of many scouts, Travis Konecny captained his Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs to an Alliance Championship. Konecny led the Alliance in scoring with 31 goals and 66 points in just 27 games en route to being named the league MVP.

A native of Clachan, Ontario, located 75 kilometres southwest of London, Konecny has been ranked as the top forward for the majority of the season. At last month’s OHL Showcase Cup, hundreds of spectators flocked to Mississauga’s Hershey Centre to watch this skilled forward take the ice. Konecny is listed at only 5-foot-8 and 173-pounds by OHL Central Scouting yet this feisty forward has no reservations about engaging in the physical game. On most nights, it is Travis Konecny who is mixing it up in the corners with opponents towering over him. In typical Konecny fashion, more times than not it is Konecny who exits with the puck on his stick.

Konecny, who wears number 9, has been a standout player ever since putting his name on the map at the Allstate All Canadians camp last summer where he competed for Team Hall. He has been electrifying rinks since and his ability to excite fans may be his most appealing attribute to the Ottawa 67’s, who look to add another offensive forward to their roster.

Sean Lafortune, the Director of Scouting for TheScout.ca, describes Konecny’s rare skill accurately.

“Konecny is a dynamic skater with natural speed and fluidity. Travis generates significant initial thrusts with his first steps and start up. The slick pivot possesses soft, articulate hands with excellent playmaking vision. Can play with a physical edge and be a physical force, delivers impactful open ice hits and can terrorize opposition defensemen on the forecheck. He excels in traffic being comfortable with body contact and protecting the puck as he finds open space. Shows intuitiveness at sensing danger, knows when to hold on to the puck for that extra second andwhen to distribute. Possesses a dynamic snapshot with an unpredictable release point that keeps goaltenders guessing.”

Konecny’s shooting skills are of elite quality for a 16-year-old as his release and quickness rival some of the best shooters in the National Hockey League. Opposing goaltenders are often left guessing as Konecny’s shot finds the back of the mesh before they know it. His ability to elude defenders using good lateral agility makes him a difficult forward to contain and it has certainly opened up ice for his teammates this season. Over the course of the season, Travis Konecny has answered every lofty expectation of being a top prospect. Not only have the Ottawa 67’s been impressed with Konecny’s on-ice performance but they have been equally enamoured with his quiet, modest and polite personality off the ice.

Passing up on the exceptional Sean Day is not an easy decision but Ottawa realizes that they have found something equally as special in Travis Konecny. His rare offensive skill, coachable attitude, impressive compete levels and off-ice intangibles are all qualities the organization value.

Travis Konecny is truly an exceptional player in his own right.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    G-Varlamov

Banned

Extremely good player, plays like a Pat Kane. Best player on the ice most nights in his games. He's a little smallish which is the only knock. He should go Top 10 next year, could push for Top 5 - but he's a guy who is pretty underrated right now. He's not very physical yet from what I've seen, doesn't need to be though.

Dobber Sports Sage

I've seen him play 3 times live this year and with my minimal knowledge I would say he was by best player on either team each night and that's saying a lot for a player who is 2 years away from his draft year. I have him ranked 6th among 2015 eligible players but among players I've seen live he is 3rd. Looks to be a sick draft.

Barzal from what I've heard/read is really stepping it up as late as well and Eichel keeps on trucking along.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I've seen him play 3 times live this year and with my minimal knowledge I would say he was by best player on either team each night and that's saying a lot for a player who is 2 years away from his draft year. I have him ranked 6th among 2015 eligible players but among players I've seen live he is 3rd. Looks to be a sick draft.

Barzal from what I've heard/read is really stepping it up as late as well and Eichel keeps on trucking along.
    So, what are your preliminary 2015 rankings right now?
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

Konecny received OHL rookie of the year honors. Excited to see what he can do next year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Pick up the Fantasy Prospects Report and you'll notice how high I have him ranked