Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Garth Snow on Olympic participation

Banned

Default Re: Garth Snow on Olympic participation

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    If canada wins gold, they would have only played 2 really meaningful games. This doesn't show to me who the best country is without a doubt, even though canada plus win 7 game series most of the time.

This isn't comparable to soccer as there are so many leagues, and your favourite club team isn't playing in a league with the best players in the world. In the hockey the, nhl is the ultimate goal.

Maybe an Olympic gold isn't that important to me because I know canada is the best regardless if they win or not.
    I think you are on to something here. It isn't quite comparable indeed.

Because at any World Cup soccer there are at least 10 different teams that can legitimately win (with luck of draws and such), compared to really only 4 -5 same teams in international hockey play.

But if I had to pick between my soccer team win the Champions League vs. Holland the World Cup I would STILL pick the Holland one. Cause it is such a hard trophy to win...

Dobber Sports Star

Hmm, that probably hits the nail on the head, Dutch -- it's harder to win a Stanley cup than an Olympic (or World Cup) hockey tournament.

Banned

true. Stanley Cup is harder to win than Olympic gold. If you are Canadian. If you are from another country that is not the case.

Either way, I personally think National teams trumps "local" teams every time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    true. Stanley Cup is harder to win than Olympic gold. If you are Canadian. If you are from another country that is not the case.

Either way, I personally think National teams trumps "local" teams every time
    That doesn't make much sense...it's harder to win because you have to win 4 series.

Banned

it does make sense. if you are from another country gold medal isn't guaranteed. For example look at Kopitar. If Slovenia ever won Olympic gold that would be much bigger than kopitar winning a Stanley cup (and with guaranteed I mean Canada usually makes final)

The Great One

But if I had to pick between my soccer team win the Champions League vs. Holland the World Cup I would STILL pick the Holland one. Cause it is such a hard trophy to win...
    Might as well stick to a CL championship.

Dobber Sports Monster

There should be some insurance here imo. Garth Snow and the NYI are the ones paying his salary and now they're the ones paying for his injury in a financial aspect and their team as a whole. I understand where he is coming from

Dobber Sports Deity

I thought all theses NHL players went over there insured by Hockey Canada?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The players and owners agreed to stop the NHL season for two weeks and allow NHL players to participate. The time to complain was before the agreement was made, not after. It's extremely unprofessional to cry about this after the fact.

Dobber Sports Sage

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't put your nation ahead of your club team filled of fins, swedes, Austrians, americans etc. I don't obviously have the connection with hokcey cause Holland doesn't have a team that can even compete with womens hockey.

However, I do have a connection on the soccer team. NO fricking way I would pick a league title ahead of a World Cup soccer won by the Netherlands. Are you insane? If you don't pick your nations winning I guess you don't care too much about your country. This is not about gold or Stanley cups. This is about being the best nation in the world

And I truly believe that Olympic Hockey is equivalent to World Cup soccer. If they did World Cup hockey it wouldn't be the same IMO.

Last but not least. If Tavares scored the Olympic gold medal goal Snow would be talking a little different
    If you really don't understand my perspective after reading my post above, you just won't get it. Maybe you've never followed a team closely for years. Maybe it's because you come from a small country. You obviously value short tournament medals a lot more that I do. Personally, I am getting tired of all the melodramatic crap being written about these games. I'll be happy once the NHL resumes. Just think- a week from now the Hawks will be playing the Pens at Soldier Field!
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The NHL gets the best publicity world wide ever with the Olympics and they don't even pay for it.

Bettman is bluffing !

Dobber Sports Genius

Snow needs to simmer down...

1, As mentioned already, Snow/the NYI weren't vocally opposed in the least prior to the games. In fact, if they were upset that Okposo didn't make it it's reasonable to think that they were proud that Tavares did.

2, It's not as if Hockey Canada/IOC/IIHF forced Tavares to be there, he WANTED to be there

3, If JT gets hurt playing for the NYI would the team offer to refund the season ticket holders? I think not.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Snow needs to simmer down...

1, As mentioned already, Snow/the NYI weren't vocally opposed in the least prior to the games. In fact, if they were upset that Okposo didn't make it it's reasonable to think that they were proud that Tavares did.

2, It's not as if Hockey Canada/IOC/IIHF forced Tavares to be there, he WANTED to be there

3, If JT gets hurt playing for the NYI would the team offer to refund the season ticket holders? I think not.
    1. Sticking up for their boy. Of course they will say he should have made it. It makes Okposo feel good and their is absolutely no downside.

2. Is any player NOT going to go? For PR purposes, every player has to go. Seriously, in a country so crazy about this tournament, how could a Canadian not go?

3. Getting hurt in a regular season game is an assumed risk. playing high intensity Olympic Games are adding opportunities for injuries.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    1. Sticking up for their boy. Of course they will say he should have made it. It makes Okposo feel good and their is absolutely no downside.

2. Is any player NOT going to go? For PR purposes, every player has to go. Seriously, in a country so crazy about this tournament, how could a Canadian not go?

3. Getting hurt in a regular season game is an assumed risk. playing high intensity Olympic Games are adding opportunities for injuries.
    1. Whether it was to boost morale or not, it two-faced to claim they should be there yet be upset when they are. Does Snow want them there or not?

2. PR shmee-R, as athletes I believe that these players DESIRE to be competing at these games as much for themselves and the prestige as they do for anything else, country, family, friends, etc. Why not hold the players accountable? Oh, right, gotta stick up for their boy publicly even if they don't agree with the NHLPAs negotiated participation. If Snow had a chance to compete in the Olympics during his career he likely would've jumped at the opportunity, not for PR but because success at that stage is one of the pillars of athletic achievement. Wait, in fact he did do just that in 1993-94 and is likely still grateful for the opportunity.

3. The "woe is the ticket holders" stance is the PR move. Risk exists everywhere. Giroux cuts his hand on a shattered club? Taylor Made owes the ticket holders. Erik Johnson messes up his knee? Club Car owes the ticket holders. Hmmm, seems like golf owes the seasons ticket holders, "GM rant about how golf is the modern scourge of NHL fan satisfaction." Soon owners and GMs will try to convince players to give up golfing because the fans are being deprived of their entitled entertainment every time a player is struck by an unfortunate injury and everything outside of playing and preparing for NHL games is frivolous.

Honestly, I would rather be watching NHL hockey too and if I were in his shoes I'd be frustrated too at the loss. This is a prestigious tournament that only comes up every four year so the management groups need to just deal with it for now. Besides, if this injury happened in an offseason tournament like a proposed World Cup where the NHL gets a slice of the profits Snows stance minus the PR bs would probably be, "We lost our best player, s#!t happens, hope he's back soon" because the bottom line is that the team and league had full control and made coin at the same time even if the injury meant Tavares would still miss half the season and the fans have been deprived of a star.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Yes. Some guys said no. Enstrom, for example, told his team months ago he didn't want to go to the Olympics.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid